Page 11 of 81 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 803

Thread: Why does Danny Roddy recommend sugar to reduce stress/estrogen? page 11

  1. #101
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,633
    Primal Fuel
    I'll check out the thread. One thing that jumped out at me is the iodine. While it is no doubt effective in helping the thyroid to function I've read quite a bit indicating caution should be used. Particularly in cases when hypo is caused by hashimotos (the majority of cases by far) as it could be quite hazardous. I'm getting a bit more into this subject as of late, so I'll be reading up some more.

  2. #102
    ChocoTaco369's Avatar
    ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,606
    When I say I take kelp supplements, it's not one of those crazy 12.5mg pills. I take 4 kelp pills 3 or 4 times a week, which amounts to 3-4mg a week. Each pill is 225mg. I would never take one of those massive iodine shots. Your condition has to really warrant that and I'm not qualified to determine that for sure.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  3. #103
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I still can't bring myself to drink orange juice and eat white sugar. Orange juice is pretty scary stuff in this country and white sugar is empty calories. I don't think it's healthy. But the little things - more carrots, more salt, more fruit, kelp - I see that as harmless no matter what your biases are and it truly has helped me.
    No one has a problem with the carrots, kelp, salt, and fruit in moderation. But quarts of OJ and white sugar? That's the part people were taking issue with. But you had to come over and have a rant at everyone and insult their intelligence. I hope it made you feel good.

  4. #104
    ChocoTaco369's Avatar
    ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,606
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    No one has a problem with the carrots, kelp, salt, and fruit in moderation. But quarts of OJ and white sugar? That's the part people were taking issue with. But you had to come over and have a rant at everyone and insult their intelligence. I hope it made you feel good.
    You insulted Danny's intelligence. You criticized his website and said both he and Ray Peat were "full of it" even though you only headline-skimmed the material (you clearly have never seriously read any of it), you attacked him for calling diabetes a stress-related disorder and then when you realized you backed yourself into a corner when you didn't have any of the tests he recommended to support your preconceived notion, you purposely redefined "stress" to fit your own definition to attempt to save your own argument and stay in your own comfort zone. You accused him as advocating cookies, which is libelous. Add a thinly veiled but ultimately useless reference to Dr. Terry Wahls, which has nothing to do with diabetes, and put a cherry on top. After that, I couldn't stand to read anymore.

    You came into this fight as an emotional wreck and fought without a shred of knowledge of the other side of the story. You were emotional and not factual and frankly, I expect better than that from you.

    Danny is better researched than you and I on this subject. Danny was a huge advocate of ketogenic diets, was very strict paleo and now does something many paleos would find appalling. Clearly, he has reason for believing what he believes. Does that mean he's right? No, but he's clearly more knowledgeable than we are, and we have to accept that. Maybe he's in over his head, maybe he truly has the answer - it doesn't matter. What matters is how you handled what he had to say.

    I don't drink orange juice or eat white sugar because it brings little to the table for me. I want nutrient-dense foods. They are empty calories to me. Are they unhealthy? I don't know if they're unhealthy, but I do feel confident that for my calories, eggs, steak, whole fruits and vegetables are the better deal. I'd rather eat oranges than drink orange juice, but it doesn't make what Danny is saying incorrect. We just don't know, and I'm willing to entertain the idea that I may be wrong. If I never admitted fault, I'd still be eating chicken breast, whole wheat pasta and whey protein shakes.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 07-05-2012 at 09:07 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  5. #105
    bloodorchid's Avatar
    bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    tn
    Posts
    9,087
    i am in awe right now

    i feel like i should be sitting back with a bowl of popcorn, hand frozen between it and my mouth, with my jaw hanging in sheer wtf
    beautiful
    yeah you are

    I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

  6. #106
    longing2bfit's Avatar
    longing2bfit is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    587
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    i am in awe right now

    i feel like i should be sitting back with a bowl of popcorn, hand frozen between it and my mouth, with my jaw hanging in sheer wtf
    5_8_51.gif

  7. #107
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    You insulted Danny's intelligence. You criticized his website and said both he and Ray Peat were "full of it" even though you only headline-skimmed the material (you clearly have never seriously read any of it), you attacked him for calling diabetes a stress-related disorder and then when you realized you backed yourself into a corner when you didn't have any of the tests he recommended to support your preconceived notion, you purposely redefined "stress" to fit your own definition to attempt to save your own argument and stay in your own comfort zone. You accused him as advocating cookies, which is libelous. Add a thinly veiled but ultimately useless reference to Dr. Terry Wahls, which has nothing to do with diabetes, and put a cherry on top. After that, I couldn't stand to read anymore.

    You came into this fight as an emotional wreck and fought without a shred of knowledge of the other side of the story. You were emotional and not factual and frankly, I expect better than that from you.

    Danny is better researched than you and I on this subject. Danny was a huge advocate of ketogenic diets, was very strict paleo and now does something many paleos would find appalling. Clearly, he has reason for believing what he believes. Does that mean he's right? No, but he's clearly more knowledgeable than we are, and we have to accept that. Maybe he's in over his head, maybe he truly has the answer - it doesn't matter. What matters is how you handled what he had to say.

    I don't drink orange juice or eat white sugar because it brings little to the table for me. I want nutrient-dense foods. They are empty calories to me. Are they unhealthy? I don't know if they're unhealthy, but I do feel confident that for my calories, eggs, steak, whole fruits and vegetables are the better deal. I'd rather eat oranges than drink orange juice, but it doesn't make what Danny is saying incorrect. We just don't know, and I'm willing to entertain the idea that I may be wrong. If I never admitted fault, I'd still be eating chicken breast, whole wheat pasta and whey protein shakes.
    Heheheheh. The guy with the caps lock key permanently stuck on his keyboard is saying I argue "emotionally". That's rich.

    I deal with diabetes on a daily basis due to taking care of my Dad. I totally agree that toxins are a big piece of the puzzle. You are right that the exact mechanisms that lead to diabetes are not perfectly understood. But we sure as hell know what makes it worse on any given day. Sugar. And we know what makes it better. No sugar. Kinda leads a person to believe that sugar is at least a part of the puzzle. A young healthy person with no metabolic disorders could probably get away with it just fine and feel awesome. For my Dad, Peat's Rx (and yeah I read his website weeks ago) could be deadly.

    Danny may be very well researched. I don't care. He is also being irresponsible and is flat our wrong about sugar.

    The reference to Terry Wahls was because Danny had been going on about taking good care of one's mitochondria. I was telling him that we were in total agreement there.

    You accuse me of headline skimming but admit that you stopped reading several pages back. E.g. you would have understood the Terry Walhls reference had you been reading and not skimming. And I even apologized for using the "full of it" language. Which you would know had you been paying attention.

    Exactly what makes you think I am an "emotional wreck"? I suppose it is easy to toss out a personal attack like that to avoid dealing with the actual arguments.

    Boy, when you get your rant on, you really start burning the strawmen and acting nasty. Calm down, OK?

  8. #108
    dannyroddy's Avatar
    dannyroddy is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    93
    This thread devolving into whether or not sugar causes disease was unfortunate, as blood sugar handling problems are systemic.

    Active thyroid hormones (T3) allows the body to use sugar, so does calcium... and salt.

    PUFA, when released into the serum, continuously thwarts the cell's ability to utilize the sugar on multiple levels. (If anyone is curious, the process is called The Randle Cycle.)

    A decrease in sugar utilization (or just not eating any) decreases carbon dioxide levels, which starves the mitochondria of oxygen. The mitochondria need to use oxygen vigorously during stress to produce hormones and energy.

    PUFA and a decrease in energy production damage the mitochondria, reducing the production of protective hormones (pregenenolone, progesterone, DHEA, testosterone, T3) and increase the production of adaptive stress hormones (adrenaline, cortisol, estrogen, serotonin, prolactin, parathyroid hormone, etc.) to compensate for the reduced energy supply.

    Cortisol is required to breakdown structure (muscles, thymus) for amino acids to convert into glucose when it's deficient. Damage can probably be minimized by consuming lots of protein, but a "higher functioning" of cortisol overtime can weaken the thymus ("immunity central"), suppress the thyroid, lower sex-drive, cause the intestine to become permeable (food allergies, poor digestion), and cause depression.
    Last edited by dannyroddy; 07-06-2012 at 11:43 AM. Reason: spelling

  9. #109
    otzi's Avatar
    otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyroddy View Post
    A decrease in sugar utilization (or just not eating any) decreases carbon dioxide levels, which starves the mitochondria of oxygen. The mitochondria need to use oxygen vigorously during stress to produce hormones and energy.
    What is the appropriate amount of sugar one should consume for proper mitochondrial function, ballpark? What is best source of sugar?

  10. #110
    dannyroddy's Avatar
    dannyroddy is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    What is the appropriate amount of sugar one should consume for proper mitochondrial function, ballpark? What is best source of sugar?
    Sugar can be used as a tool to increase the metabolic rate, so monitoring pulse and body temperature along with assessing your current level of stress could help guide how much to consume.

    In 1857 Dr. William Budd used 12 oz. of sugar to increase the metabolic rates of patients.

    Fruit seems to be the best source of sugar.

Page 11 of 81 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •