Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole30 for July page 8

jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Day 6 for me. I'm not sure what the problem is this time around, but I'm not really losing any weight. I weighed in at 199 this morning. Down two pounds, then back up two pounds with no bad food choices to justify it.

Ate out today. Did my best - baked tilapia and shrimp with steamed vegetables (broccoli, carrots and pea pods) and rice (I think there was some orzo in it... )

I'm still reading "It starts with food" and it is so enlightening that I am more and more dedicated to making this lifestyle permanent. I love this book. I can't wait til my hard copy arrives so I can read it again! And highlight and take notes and bookmark and all those things that will make it an even better reference. This is the first time I have ever ordered the same book twice... I will be ordering at least 3 more to give as gifts - one to my stepmom, one to my MIL (who has fibro) and one to my SIL who is "partially" Primal - she's pretty much primal when it's convenient and when she's losing weight. She gets discouraged easily and then kind of takes a break.

I wonder if I'm eating too much fruit. I have fruit every day. baggie of grapes, bowl of mixed fruit (pineapple, oranges, banana, strawberries, raspberries with cinnamon). I wonder if I'm consuming too much fruit and that's preventing my weight loss. Something I need to work on, I suppose.

I hope everyone is doing well. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

spughy is offline Senior Member
    Well, Day 1 went pretty well for me! I SO enjoyed eating a solid breakfast. Sauteed onion, pepper and carrot with two eggs scrambled in. Lunch was a bit of artisan salami, raw cheese and a massive salad - just greens - and dinner was the MDA recipe of the week, the lime and basil beef on skewers. Except it was bison. It was delicious, and also accompanied by a huge salad with tomatoes and peppers. Yum. The only mess-up was that I realized after the fact that I'd put a small amount of maple syrup in my homemade olive oil & balsamic vinaigrette. Also mustard. Is mustard ok? It's a seed and all. However, it's such a small amount that I didn't stress it - I'll make more today without it.

This evening my daughter and I go out to the farm where I work for 2 days - until Tuesday afternoon. This will be a bit of a challenge because lunches out there are communal. They know I can't do grains and I think they use olive oil for most stuff, and any cheese will be farm-produced and therefore raw, so I should be ok. I have some good little dried salamis for emergencies, and a lara bar or two (I think those are ok?) and I'll bring lots of fruit. The farm grown vegetables too so there are always plenty of those around! And failing everything, there's always a nice glass of raw milk.

catdance62 is offline Senior Member
    i have a question. I think I am going to take the challenge too. The only dairy I eat is my goats milk in my coffee and some homemade yogurt and I can cut that out, no problem. HOwever, I consume Progenex More Muscle and Recovery and it contains whey. I use these products about 4 times a week. I guess this is a no-no? I consume it because I am training for a half-marathon and I have a habit of getting too thin, particularly because I have a slight food aversion. It is easier for me to drink my calories.

Quote Originally Posted by catdance62 View Post
    i have a question. I think I am going to take the challenge too. The only dairy I eat is my goats milk in my coffee and some homemade yogurt and I can cut that out, no problem. HOwever, I consume Progenex More Muscle and Recovery and it contains whey. I use these products about 4 times a week. I guess this is a no-no? I consume it because I am training for a half-marathon and I have a habit of getting too thin, particularly because I have a slight food aversion. It is easier for me to drink my calories.
    I'm reading "It Starts with Food" right now, which is the book that goes along with the Whole30. It says no whey protein powders are recommended except for those who are into body building. But, I guess if you can't eat, then do what you need to do...

can you make smoothies out of veggies and stuff instead?

Day 7 has gone swimmingly well.

B:
    3 scrambled eggs
    lots of bacon

L: skipped

S: bowl of mixed fruit with cinnamon

D:
    spaghetti squash and homemade tomato sauce with grass-fed beef.

I learned today that if I don't take my Omega-3s, which I originally started taking for mental health purposes, my ankles and feet get really stiff. I have a tendency to get inflammed in the hip/piriformis area, which pinches my sciatic nerve and causes problems in my feet. Yesterday I had some stiffness and realized I didn't take my vits. Realized this and as I was reading It Starts with Food this morning, I read that the chief purpose of Omega 3's is to reduce inflammation... took my 3 fish oils and no stiffness at all today. +1 for Omega-3s!!

Question... is the most you can take in fish oil 3 capsules, or can you take more? I'm still eating conventional meats (for the majority) because grass fed is not in the budget yet. Was wondering if extra Omega-3's would help just in case there's a large quantity of Omega-6's in the meats.

wendyland is offline Senior Member
    Hi, I'm starting a little late. I've been decreasing everything for the last week to get started. I'm busy at work & trying not to get major carb flu like I did last year. I've never made it through a whole30. I was close last July, but had a few things here and there. I want to be very compliant this time.

Today is day 1 - I want to try out some sugar free salad dressings. I'm thinking of trying something avocado/mayo based. I usually have balsamic & olive oil, but I prefer a little honey. I'm getting kind of tired of balsamic anyway. What do you all put on your salads?

I'm learning to make Kombucha tonight at a primal meetup. I think that's whole30 ok. I've never drank it before. Sounds interesting.

I like olive oil and lemon juice on my salad. Or just straight up lemon juice.

I'm getting kind of excited. I posted a link to the A-Z testimonials on the Whole30 page and tagged my sister telling her she should try this with her kids since they have pretty bad ezcema (their feet peel and crack so badly they can't wear shoes and she has to wrap their feet in gauze to keep the skin from catching on something and tearing. They've had this condition since they were infants drinking soy formulas). Anyhow, she seems interested. She's asking me questions about what to give them to drink that isn't cow's milk and how to handle the schools and everything. I'm hopeful that she'll take the leap.

She recently signed up for some Ideal Protein program that costs a lot of money but is essentially Whole30/Primal/Paleo but not free, so she knows the difference in how she feels now compared to how she felt then without grains and dairy and all that. I hope she'll take charge of her kids' health too.

(for the record, I'm slowly switching my kids over. I'm trying recipes to see what they like, while supplementing with stuff that isn't approved but I know they'll eat).

c_bolton12 is offline Member
    Loving being strict with Paleo again - food cravings have stopped, I ate dinner last night around 6pm then IFed until 2:30 at lunch today. I wasn't all that hungry and wanted to make it a full 24 fast but someone is bringing desserts in for a colleague's birthday at 3:30 and I was worried I'd be more tempted if I hadn't eaten. Had a big salad with eggs, avocado, tomatoes, cucumber, carrots and a little bit of chicken for lunch and a square of dark chocolate for some sweetness after.

Congrats Jenn that you've gotten your sister to consider a Paleo life for her kids!! My mom admitted to me this weekend that I when I was about 12 I was getting sick with bad stomach aches often and the doc told her to try taking me off of all grains, which she didn't do, and now feels really guilty about it! haha, no way she could have known
    It is always too early to quit.
    Went primal- 02/25/12, height: 5'6", starting weight: 143.0, current weight: 133.8

"Doubt never stops. Neither do you."- Prove People Wrong.
    http://www.provepeoplewrong.com/

islandwahine is offline Member
    Looks like everyone is doing great! I'm doing ok..getting in my slow movements and eating well but suffering from headaches that come and go all day..(most likely carb flu)....I've been having coffee cravings so I had my first cup of bulletproof coffee this morning and enjoyed it. I'll see how I feel the rest of the day. Keep up the great work everyone!!

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast