Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole30 for July page 3

CaveCanem is offline Member
    Shop Now
    I will be working on my own issue, travel! I am hoping to keep doing well. Already I am doing better than my old self. The old me would have thrown in the towel with all this traveling and just pigged out. New me knows that I need to keep on truckin and has stayed clean in this interim between trips.

Too many trips is not the issue, lack of will power is the issue.

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveCanem View Post
    Too many trips is not the issue, lack of will power is the issue.
    I've found that every convenience store has pepperettes for sale. Not totally primal, but a good source of protein, fats and flavour, with staying power. (And they don't need refrigeration - bonus!) Beats all the carby, sugary road foods hands down. Also consider baby carrots, grape tomatoes, apples - all good driving foods.

And there is the ever-present chicken ceasar salad. (Contains cheese, but you can easily avoid the croutons or ask for them to be left off.) Has worked for me in the past. Wendy's has some good salads.

Annika is offline Senior Member
    I'm in! I did a Whole30 last year, but I pretty much focused only on what to remove from my diet and didn't make sure I was eating enough. I ended up eating TONS of nuts, some of which were Planters nuts roasted in peanut oil. So, a bit of a fail.

I have mixed feelings about eating a big breakfast; I recently started bulletproof fasting (having only coffee with coconut oil in the morning, no food until lunch) and have been liking that a lot. Melissa and Dallas are quite firm about eating breakfast during a Whole30, so I guess my IF-ing is on hiatus.
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Quote Originally Posted by Annika View Post
    I have mixed feelings about eating a big breakfast; I recently started bulletproof fasting (having only coffee with coconut oil in the morning, no food until lunch) and have been liking that a lot. Melissa and Dallas are quite firm about eating breakfast during a Whole30, so I guess my IF-ing is on hiatus.
    I have been doing Whole30 for 62 days now. I use Bulletproof coffee for breakfast about 2-3 days per week, and it has helped with weight loss. I made mine with ghee and coconut oil, about a tbsp of each. Really helped with weight loss, I think. Can't see any reason why you wouldn't continue to use it if it works for you. It's still several hundred calories in the morning, not true fasting anyways. I love the stuff and how satisfied it makes me feel.

nopie is offline Senior Member
    My friend and I started in late June (she started a few days before me). I'm a week in now.

Canada day is today but we're doing our own thing so no pressure to eat off plan. I made it down to the states and went to whole foods the other day and got pastured Ghee, coconut butter and couple of other exciting things I couldn't find here. My coconut oil/aminos vendor from my farmer's market mysteriously vanished a few weeks ago so I'll need to order online for now I guess.

This time I am making a big effort to not isolate myself into my own little meal plan and let the rest of the family continue to eat shit. Easier said than done- my SO and I share 5 kids. I suggested that I will take over the shopping/cooking for the family entirely and sometimes I'll make a side of rice or potatoes to go along with the meat/veggies I am making that the kids/boyfriend can eat.

I'm trying harder to pay attention to the quality of the food I'm eating. I've been getting my meats from either the farmer's market or my local abbattoir. Still not entirely pasture fed, but it's a step in the right direction. Pastured meat is prohibatively expensive and hard to find at the moment- though I did find a farmer who does a CSA for pastured meats- it's not going to happen for this whole 30. I'm supplementing with a high quality fish oil to undo some of the damage.

So far I've been feeling OK. I had an acne flare up, I've had some increased irritability with the family (especially when they complain about the food I have made) and I've definitely had increased energy and sex drive (yay).

Weight loss is a primary motivator for me. I lost a bunch of weight 2 years ago I guess, and slowly I have gained a bit of it back when I got involved in a new relationship (which came with a lot of bad eating habits-oops) and what really did me in was a round of fertility treatments/hormones. I gained a LOT during that.

I'm limiting fruit and nuts, and using the meal mapping ideas that I found in ISWF (love that book by the way).

I'm trying to stay in ketosis because that's where I feel the best, have the least cravings and lose weight.

Dallas and Melissa from whole 9 are going to be in Toronto for a book signing/open house in a couple of weeks- super geeky but I'm SO going. I want to get my copy signed and see them in person. Extra motivation to stay Whole30 complaint until then!

Annika- I've been getting back on the "meal 1" bandwagon. I've been not eating breakfast for so long it seems so strange but I'm determined to follow the program as written, and their reasoning makes sense. I figure I can go back to IF afterwards and see if it makes a difference.

LeaB is offline Member
    I made mine with ghee and coconut oil, about a tbsp of each
    Marthat, when you say this, do you mean a tbsp of each per cup? do you only have one cup for breakfast? Just curious because I drink a lot of coffee (a ridiculous amount? I don't know. Generally 1.5 -2 pots a day) and wonder how much could I make bullet proof before switching to black.

Is this too much coffee? I drink half/ caf.

Quote Originally Posted by LeaB View Post
    Marthat, when you say this, do you mean a tbsp of each per cup? do you only have one cup for breakfast? Just curious because I drink a lot of coffee (a ridiculous amount? I don't know. Generally 1.5 -2 pots a day) and wonder how much could I make bullet proof before switching to black.

Is this too much coffee? I drink half/ caf.
    I make one large serving (about 14-16 oz) of Bulletproof coffee in my blender. As it blends, it goes lighter and lighter in colour until it's a soft butterscotch colour, and the taste reminds me of butterscotch, too, because of the ghee. It does not separate, there's no globules of oil floating on top. I've never made it with regular butter, as I just started it during the recent Whole30.

It's a lot of calories and is incredibly satiating. You won't want to drink them repeatedly. So I usually have my first coffee black (the waking up cup), then the second one as BP coffee (breakfast), then take the remainder of my black coffee in a thermos for mid-morning break. My coffee is organic, fair-trade, fresh roasted by my friend in her little home business, and is half Swiss water decaf. But I still stop at 3 1/2 cups per day.

In my opinion, you are drinking a lot of coffee. But that's just my opinion. Your body will tell you if it's too much. You just have to listen for the signals.

PrimallyJenna is offline Junior Member
    I'm in for July-I would also highly recommend reading It Starts with Food. I started a failed Whole30 a few months ago, but feel a lot more prepared for this one after reading Dallas and Melissa's book.

Results of Day 1 Non-Whole30: I'm up 1.25 lb after yesterday, a result of three possible factors.
    1. Much larger than normal supper meal, with a small amount of non-Whole30 components (4 oz white wine, 1 bite of a wheat containing sausage stuffing in pork loin roast, home-made, dark chocolate almond bark - 3 pieces).
    2. Cheese at lunch (organic, from Austria, hand-made by relatives, carried across the ocean by returning hubby. How could I not??)
    3. No poop yesterday.
    Those were the only changes. I have not done the weekend weight jump in the past 2 months, so this is an obvious change. Nothing major happening today. I'll eat Whole30 compliant and see what happens tomorrow. I think I'll make BP coffee for breakfast...
    Last edited by marthat; 07-02-2012 at 05:25 AM. Reason: I hate spelling mistakes!

TLoRu is offline Senior Member
    Paleo Musings: French Toast in a Cup

Amazing blast food for folks on the go. I doubled the recipe, I'm female, 5'1,112ish, but I couldn't finish it. A bit dry since I didn't use syrup or honey or sweetener.

Hope everyone had a good weekend! First Monday of the July whole30!!!!

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast