Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole30 for July page 23

heatherok is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    It seems like a lot of people doing Whole 30 are people who keep mostly primal and are just tightening up their routines. I, on the other hand, am severely obese and have a food/sugar/carb dependency issues. I have considered doing a Whole 30 for August. Is that just too much for someone like me? (I can barely stay 80/20 primal without binging on carbs after day 4 or so.)

Any other severely overweight people doing this?

cavequeen is offline Senior Member
    Day 12- instead of being down today as I expected with no snacking on nuts and fruit, or higher carb veggies like squash, sweet potato the last two days, I was up 1.3 lbs. Maybe I am having more calories or probably too much salty pork. I was planning on chicken today anyway and some tuna fish so hopefully that will change things up a bit) Yesterday was also a very emotional day with a family member close to passing so some tears were definitely shed I guess that can affect things as well.

I going to give it a couple of more days and if that's doesn't help I will go back to my whole 30 with nuts and fruits maybe I need a higher carb level. I will also try on my favorite capris that I can't fit into right now and see if they fit any better so I am not just relying on weight.

Overall, I have had pretty good energy and not a lot of urges to snack so that's been okay.

breakfast-unsweetened coffee with coconut milk,a few slices of uncured salami with olives and then after working out for an hour of yoga, 1 bowl of pork sausage/kale soup
    lunch-roast beef salad with homemade mayo italian dressing
    dinner- bowl of pork sausage/kale soup, small salad with 2 slices of bacon, 1 hard boiled egg and more homemade mayo salad dressing

Other than water, that's what I had yesterday.

edited: okay, I checked and I am approx. 5 days out so might be PMS bloating. I tried on skinny capris and definitely not slimmer at least not around my hips which hasn't moved much anyway yet.
    Last edited by cavequeen; 07-26-2012 at 06:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by heatherok View Post
    It seems like a lot of people doing Whole 30 are people who keep mostly primal and are just tightening up their routines. I, on the other hand, am severely obese and have a food/sugar/carb dependency issues. I have considered doing a Whole 30 for August. Is that just too much for someone like me? (I can barely stay 80/20 primal without binging on carbs after day 4 or so.)

Hello! I'm not in the obese range so I can't comment on that. Though a couple of years ago I was just over the line to obese. I didn't lose with primal though. Now, I am about 15 lbs overweight. Though I would like to lose at least 20lbs. I have however found that I have less urges to snack on carbs, the cleaner I go. The less sugar, dairy, nut butters I consume the easier it is to resist family members eating that stuff around me. I do have a family member with diabetes and I myself have high blood pressure as do 3 other family members so we definitely have some insulin resistance that runs in our family.

I would definitely give it a try. It might really help with carb dependency issues. It has helped me.

daveyace is offline Member
    i did 2 months at one point and i was the fittest and happiest I've ever been. I looked great too. I'm going to have to do it again soon because I've been slacking a bit lately.

I'm off to the gym now!

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    heatherok I have been primal for a long time, but have been having a real problem with bingeing on sugar and carbs every few days. This is bad because I still have 60 lbs to lose. I started whole 30 a week ago and it immediately stopped the binges. Dropping all sugar, artificial sweeteners, grains and dairy seemed to be the key for me. I would try it. Maybe it will be just the thing you need.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by heatherok View Post

Anyone can do a Whole30, but most people don't discover the whole30 until they go primal/paleo. I say go for it. Give it a shot and see what happens. For me, knowing that certain things are "against the rules" makes it easier for me to avoid them. Maybe it'll work for you?

I started Primal wanting to lose 70 lbs. So far, with 2 Whole30's, I've lost 19 lbs (10 with the first W30, gained 3 back, then lost 9 on the 2nd W30, which ends on the 31st - hoping to lose 1 more pound at a minimum). Since going primal, I've lost 31.

I think if you're new to primal/paleo, a Whole30 is a great way to detox, cleanse and reset. It really does help with the cravings. But word of wisdom from someone who learned the hard way - starve the sugar demon. Do NOT feed it fruit b/c fruit will become your sugar crutch. Because of this lesson, I will be doing a 3rd Whole30.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

nopie is offline Senior Member
    day 32 for me. Still feeling good. Down about another pound.

Congrats to those joining in. W30 rocks!

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    So, I have decided I will be doing a whole 30 for August. Which means I'm going to lax up a bit for the rest of this one. I'm going to allow some things back in - namely, dairy - until Wednesday when I restart the challenge.

I have learned this time around that I am using fruit as a sugar crutch which is causing me to continue craving sugar - especially chewy sugar like fruit snacks.

I will be adopting an 80/20 Whole30 thing for the remainder of the month of July and start fresh on the 1st. Basically, I'm tired of eggs and want some cream cheese pancakes with whipped heavy cream and strawberries. lol
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Well I made it two days without nuts and fruit and since the scale didn't move, I gave it up. I really gave it a chance, huh! lol
    I decide the scale will move when it is ready and since I have eaten very clean this whole30 anyway I get to have my nuts and berries. I may decide to do them only every 2 days though or every other day. Sort of like a mini carb cycling. I also had some sweet potato french fries. I must be storing up as it's almost that time of the month.

Yesterday I ate this sausage/kale/tomato soup I made up. It was so good! Maybe I shouldn't make it all the time. I think I overate it because I was up 1.3 lbs, I will say it was the salt.
    Last edited by cavequeen; 07-26-2012 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nopie View Post
    day 32 for me. Still feeling good. Down about another pound.

Congrats to those joining in. W30 rocks!
    woo-hoo, nopie! Awesome, I can't wait till I can say the same.

Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast