Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Have not lost any weight in the last 30 days and I weight is 478 pds page

markham is offline Junior Member

Have not lost any weight in the last 30 days and I weight is 478 pds

Shop Now
    Ok I started eating Paleo May 1st. Lost 30 pds the 1st month and now that this month of June is almost up I have lost like 2 or 3 pds. I started on May 1st at 509 pds today im at 476 pds. I', 6'3" tall and 52 years old male I have not gone off the Paleo way since I started. I have avg about 2,000-2,500 calories a day. for this past month of June I have played squash 9 times for 60 mins each. I just dont know why the weight has not been coming off at a better pace.

DashFire is offline Senior Member
    Hi Markham. Always good to see a fellow Chicagoan on here. Congrats on your initial weight loss. I just started June 1 at 340# and saw 20 drop the first month. But, I wasn't actually aiming for weight loss (yet), I was aiming to convert my eating to Primal and increase my daily activity. Sihana makes a good point, that I would extend to say that weight loss is going to be a natural byproduct of being Primal, for those who have a lot to lose, as you and I both do. Don't stress terribly.

In regards to your concerns, a couple thoughts and a couple questions. 2000-2500 calories seems way below what someone your size would need, even in a weight loss phase. Your body may think it's starving and holding onto every bit of fat it can. Especially since you've gone off the Paleo way as you say. If you're back to unhealthy (& high carbs), this would make even more sense. What is your eating like right now? And why no more Paleo/Primal?

Also, I don't know much about squash, but it seems like a pretty intensive cardio workout. Which is helpful, but not the answer that most people think. Are you doing any additional strength (bodyweight) exercises?

Lastly, you mention Paleo a couple times, but not sure if you are using it interchangeably with Primal. There are some differences, both in food and PB is a more comprehensive lifestyle framework. If you haven't already, take some time to check out The Primal Blueprint 101 resources.
    My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sihana View Post
    What are you eating?
    Are you walking at all? Walking is one of the best ways to get your body to consistently burn fat.

Also, you have lost 31lbs over a period of almost two months, which averages out at 3.875lbs a week, which is damned good. Ignore the scale for now since you are just starting out. You will find you will be 478 one day, and then literally wake up the next day be 470. It happens.
    +1

Also:

Have you adjusted your intake now that you are smaller?
    Do you LHT?
    Have you tried fasting?
    Are you on any medicines?
    How's your stress?
    How's your sleep?

SonGoku is offline Junior Member
    The first 2 weeks can apparently be water weight, not all of course but some. Start using the mirror/tape more the scales, take photos often maybe once a week or 2. As was said above How's your sleep/stress?

Quote Originally Posted by Sihana View Post
    What are you eating?
    Are you walking at all? Walking is one of the best ways to get your body to consistently burn fat.

Also, you have lost 31lbs over a period of almost two months, which averages out at 3.875lbs a week, which is damned good. Ignore the scale for now since you are just starting out. You will find you will be 478 one day, and then literally wake up the next day be 470. It happens.
    I was walking a little. It the first 30 days on a treadmill it was just 6 times about 30 mins each time. I have been eating 100% Paleo since May 1st have not and will not go off it. No sugars, flour, grain ect..

Quote Originally Posted by DashFire View Post
    Hi Markham. Always good to see a fellow Chicagoan on here. Congrats on your initial weight loss. I just started June 1 at 340# and saw 20 drop the first month. But, I wasn't actually aiming for weight loss (yet), I was aiming to convert my eating to Primal and increase my daily activity. Sihana makes a good point, that I would extend to say that weight loss is going to be a natural byproduct of being Primal, for those who have a lot to lose, as you and I both do. Don't stress terribly.

In regards to your concerns, a couple thoughts and a couple questions. 2000-2500 calories seems way below what someone your size would need, even in a weight loss phase. Your body may think it's starving and holding onto every bit of fat it can. Especially since you've gone off the Paleo way as you say. If you're back to unhealthy (& high carbs), this would make even more sense. What is your eating like right now? And why no more Paleo/Primal?

Also, I don't know much about squash, but it seems like a pretty intensive cardio workout. Which is helpful, but not the answer that most people think. Are you doing any additional strength (bodyweight) exercises?

Lastly, you mention Paleo a couple times, but not sure if you are using it interchangeably with Primal. There are some differences, both in food and PB is a more comprehensive lifestyle framework. If you haven't already, take some time to check out The Primal Blueprint 101 resources.

Good for you on your 20pd loss. No I have not eat anyway other then this way for almost 60 days. I have not gone off it since day one. I would think and I can check but I would think that I may have avg less then 2,000 calories a day

Quote Originally Posted by SonGoku View Post
    The first 2 weeks can apparently be water weight, not all of course but some. Start using the mirror/tape more the scales, take photos often maybe once a week or 2. As was said above How's your sleep/stress?
    I will say that my wife and I have noticed the size difference without the weight coming off for sure. I am not saying anything bad about losing the weight I was just wondering why it is not comeing off as quick as it should have been based on the amount of calories I have consumed each day and the little exercise that I have been doing so far

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    It is normal to have periods of high and low weight loss. Your body has to get used to its lower point and be sure you don't need the remaining fat before it sheds it. Be sure you are eating enough or your body will hold on to remaining fat. For long term weight loss you should only be aiming for 1-2lbs/week. Also, it's been very hot in Chicago lately. Your body may be retaining more water so the weight loss isn't showing up on the scale as much.

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    I've been eating this way for a little over a month and had significant weight loss the first four weeks. The scale has stalled a bit in the last week, but the interesting thing is that I still feel great, and my clothes are continuing to get looser and I can feel my body changing shape. Since you say you are adhering to this diet 100%, I think you just have to see it through, and like others have said, one day you will step on the scale and it will probably reflect that more pounds are gone. I know a lot of people say you just shouldn't step on the scale, but I know that I need to do it each day. It just is a subtle reminder to keep doing what I'm doing. One thing you might consider is getting something like a Withings Scale... I've had one for several years and they're fabulous. It connects to your wireless network in your house and uploads your weight. So then if you want, you could just step on the scale however often you like, but not look at the readout, and then when you're ready you can go on your computer and see how your progress is going. I know others here will tell you to get rid of your scale altogether, but I also know that's not something i'll ever be willing to do, so this could be another option for you?

Quote Originally Posted by teach2183 View Post
    It is normal to have periods of high and low weight loss. Your body has to get used to its lower point and be sure you don't need the remaining fat before it sheds it. Be sure you are eating enough or your body will hold on to remaining fat. For long term weight loss you should only be aiming for 1-2lbs/week. Also, it's been very hot in Chicago lately. Your body may be retaining more water so the weight loss isn't showing up on the scale as much.
    What do you mean by Be sure you are eating enough or your body will hold on to remaining fat?
    I also have been logging down all what I eat and just went over it and for the last 61 days i have avg 1,978 calories per day. One thing that I don't know if this is good but I do drink about 3-6 diet snapples tea per day.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast