Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Juicing Vegetables? page 2

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I agree about forgetting the fiber part...juicing veggies has been a lifesaver for me. I have IBS, and have more recently realized that the fiber in vegetables makes my digestive system very angry with me. Juicing the veggies and throwing away the pointless INDIGESTIBLE part is an epic win in my book.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    I love to see how many nutrients I can get with the least amount of calories.

I did one green juice once that was 256 calories and 97% of my RDA targets
    for the DAY.

Talk about an epic win....... hee hee!

MonkeyGuy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
    I love to see how many nutrients I can get with the least amount of calories.

I did one green juice once that was 256 calories and 97% of my RDA targets
    for the DAY.

Talk about an epic win....... hee hee!
    Nice...but I still question why we are even bothering to refer to the USRDA for anything anymore. Remember, they still recommend eating a ton of calories from breads, pastas, and startches! The paleo/primal movement will eventually make them irrelevant.
    http://healthymindfitbody.com
    "Achieve your perfect weight through the mind-body connection!"

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    I'm not referring to them whatsoever, I just like to see how much of everything
    I'm getting of all vitamins, minerals and micronutrients.

EVERYTHING on cronometer is listed and it's cool to see what's what.

Most of the things on there I exceed by 200% - though, like you say, who can
    trust their range of micronutriens, but I just like to see what I actually GOT.

Their recommendations might be off, but the nutrients still exist, even if we
    don't know exactly how many we're "supposed" to be getting a day.

Not sure if any of that makes sense.................. but I get it! har!

Julie

mosin46 is offline Senior Member
    more thoughtful stuff on this site. i am following the "juicing" threads closely. as one of those who hates vegetables and esp salads. my intake is sub optimal. i know i need the vits and anti oxis. also hate pills. take some DM and hypertension meds. can't deal with 10-12 vit pills on top of that. might restart fish oil pending latest labs. that would be about it. i AM willing to supplement fiber. got the one used in CAD research. spending $ on a quality juicer has a bunch of appeal at this point. only concern is concentrated simple sugars in the DM setting.

Katsuhiko the Rolfer is offline Senior Member
    I juice all the time but nearly always only green veggies, brocoli, celery, kale, sprouts, spinach and so on (green papaya is a fav for the enzyme papain)

if it is too horrible to drink I add ginger and or a pear which really masks the taste

I find the live enzymes really help with digestion, I get a real burst of energy and a massive dose of vitamins and minerals straight to the pipeline without having to digest stuff. I generally blend the juice with a half dozen ice cubes and drink it it chilled in a nice glass with a straw

I eat loads of veggies too so I don't miss the fibre and I get all the phytonutrients from a head of celery, a bag of spinach, a couple of decent heads of brocoli all in one go

I sometimes do unripe pineapples if I can find them as they are low in sugar and provide a good dose of the highly anti-inflammatory enzyme bromelain

be interested to hear what people think of this approach

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    I only juice maybe once or twice per week. I'm not typically a fan of drinking calories, but I'm not a big vegetable eater so the juicing does help get the nutrients that I'm not always willing to eat.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    I drink green juice every morning and have for about a month.
    (My mom bought me a Breville at Williams-Sonoma.)
    Quite a huge difference in high energy level and very happy moods:
    Handful of spinach and parsley
    1/2 pear, 1/2 orange
    Cucumber & ginger
    I vary the greens with kale, collards and/ or romaine.
    Everything organic, of course

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyGuy View Post
    Nice...but I still question why we are even bothering to refer to the USRDA for anything anymore. Remember, they still recommend eating a ton of calories from breads, pastas, and startches! The paleo/primal movement will eventually make them irrelevant.
    Ding ding ding! Correct! Why care about RDA's that were reverse engineered from a presupposition that you need 9-11 servings of grains a day? Its just silly.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for this thread! I haven't juiced for a while and will get my juicer out and running ASAP! I agree with the comments about getting rid of fibre - many veg give me grief and presently I seem to be eating only root veg and squashes. Juice, on the other hand, will give me a much wider range of nutrients without all that fibre.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast