Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 60

Thread: Blood Donation

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Blood Donation

    Hello a little topic that has nothing to do with nutrition, but could be important.
    In the summer months when people start motorcycling and doing outdoor sports most accidents happen, and in summer fewer people are donating blood.
    Now i hope everyone here is healthy and all relatives stay healthy and no one needs an operation, there are people who do and people whos life depend on blood.

    So i guess Grok used to bleed sometimes. Wrestling Tigers and so. As there are fewer tigers to fend off we can combine the act with a good reason and the good feeling of doing good.

  2. #2
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    I just donated some blood yesterday as I do once every 8 weeks. I wish more people would take the time to do this.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    127
    I have my donation appointment scheduled next week. Good call!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    196
    I donate regularly, but I find you have to be very specific about where you give it. A lot of businesses don't seem to want it at all!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    3,952
    My donation site has been ramping up their efforts, so it looks like their supply is running low. So I guess I'll have to make an appointment pretty soon.

    Just a reminder that coconut water is a really good rehydrator after blood donation.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

  6. #6
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Just a reminder that coconut water is a really good rehydrator after blood donation.
    This ^^ and also that it's very important to pre-hydrate before your donation especially if you are in a hot climate right now. If you are at all dehydrated going in, it can make it hard for them to find a vein and keep things flowing right.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    This ^^ and also that it's very important to pre-hydrate before your donation especially if you are in a hot climate right now. If you are at all dehydrated going in, it can make it hard for them to find a vein and keep things flowing right.
    I agree. I was not able to donate enough blood to be used as a donation once because I was not hydrated enough. They still use it for other purposes, but now I make an effort to hydrate well for 24 hours or so before I go in.

  8. #8
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    The blood bank has put me on deferral a couple of times for visiting Africa and the South Pacific. That's a valid concern about malaria.

    The Europe concern is about mad cow disease and they only refuse you if you have spent time that adds up to five or more years there, not just a vacation in Paris. And not all returning service members are put on deferral, only those who have been in one of those spots where there is a concern such as malaria or mad cow.

    Your info on the caner part is off. It is one year post treatment. That is to give your system time to clear out all the drugs. I don't think that's unreasonable and you really wouldn't feel up to it any sooner anyway.

    I'm not sure how I feel about the gay part. There is a valid concern that there is a statistically greater chance of having HIV if you are gay but then again they test everybody's blood for HIV before giving it to anyone so they would hopefully catch any cases that did come up.

    I had to look up haemochromatosis and I'm really sorry that you have that condition but, as nice a person as I know you are, I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a blood donation from you. Sorry.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 06-29-2012 at 10:15 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Appalachian Ohio
    Posts
    2,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    The Europe concern is about mad cow disease and they only refuse you if you have spent time that adds up to five or more years there, not just a vacation in Paris.
    Lifeshare still won't take me. Last time I was in Germany it was 8 straight years, and evidently I should just give it up. Even tho I have otherwise zero other disqualifications, and have been back for double-digit years now. Frustrating.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Appalachian Ohio
    Posts
    2,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Lifeshare still won't take me. Last time I was in Germany it was 8 straight years, and evidently I should just give it up. Even tho I have otherwise zero other disqualifications, and have been back for double-digit years now. Frustrating.
    You know - I just thought of something... If I cannot donate blood in the US because I lived in Germany too long (so say the American banks), then where is GERMANY getting ITS blood??

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •