Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blood Donation page

Blood Donation

Shop Now
    Hello a little topic that has nothing to do with nutrition, but could be important.
    In the summer months when people start motorcycling and doing outdoor sports most accidents happen, and in summer fewer people are donating blood.
    Now i hope everyone here is healthy and all relatives stay healthy and no one needs an operation, there are people who do and people whos life depend on blood.

So i guess Grok used to bleed sometimes. Wrestling Tigers and so. As there are fewer tigers to fend off we can combine the act with a good reason and the good feeling of doing good.

Paleobird Guest
    I just donated some blood yesterday as I do once every 8 weeks. I wish more people would take the time to do this.

halfbunny is offline Senior Member
    I have my donation appointment scheduled next week. Good call!

mike_h is offline Senior Member
    I donate regularly, but I find you have to be very specific about where you give it. A lot of businesses don't seem to want it at all!

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    My donation site has been ramping up their efforts, so it looks like their supply is running low. So I guess I'll have to make an appointment pretty soon.

Just a reminder that coconut water is a really good rehydrator after blood donation.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Just a reminder that coconut water is a really good rehydrator after blood donation.
    This ^^ and also that it's very important to pre-hydrate before your donation especially if you are in a hot climate right now. If you are at all dehydrated going in, it can make it hard for them to find a vein and keep things flowing right.

LearningCurve is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    This ^^ and also that it's very important to pre-hydrate before your donation especially if you are in a hot climate right now. If you are at all dehydrated going in, it can make it hard for them to find a vein and keep things flowing right.
    I agree. I was not able to donate enough blood to be used as a donation once because I was not hydrated enough. They still use it for other purposes, but now I make an effort to hydrate well for 24 hours or so before I go in.

Paleobird Guest
    The blood bank has put me on deferral a couple of times for visiting Africa and the South Pacific. That's a valid concern about malaria.

The Europe concern is about mad cow disease and they only refuse you if you have spent time that adds up to five or more years there, not just a vacation in Paris. And not all returning service members are put on deferral, only those who have been in one of those spots where there is a concern such as malaria or mad cow.

Your info on the caner part is off. It is one year post treatment. That is to give your system time to clear out all the drugs. I don't think that's unreasonable and you really wouldn't feel up to it any sooner anyway.

I'm not sure how I feel about the gay part. There is a valid concern that there is a statistically greater chance of having HIV if you are gay but then again they test everybody's blood for HIV before giving it to anyone so they would hopefully catch any cases that did come up.

I had to look up haemochromatosis and I'm really sorry that you have that condition but, as nice a person as I know you are, I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a blood donation from you. Sorry.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 06-29-2012 at 10:15 PM.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    I haven't been able to give blood within the US for 9 years, before that I only had a one year window lol. And no I'm not gay.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I would gladly accept blood donated from a hemochromatosis donor. It's not a blood-borne or contagious disease.

Pre-primal I donated every 8 weeks for about two years before I was deferred due to low hemoglobin. Turns out my iron stores (ferritin) were depleted. I've since started giving blood but on a less-regular basis. I bet now with the amount of red meat I eat and the lack of grains I could go back to giving more often.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast