Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Blood Donation page 5

Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    And it's easier just to be mad at the blood banks than to, say, volunteer a few hours a week there if you can't donate.

I don't know how Canada's rules differ from the US but I have had a Hep vaccine and have no problem donating.

The reason they pre-screen is not to "insult your lifestyle". They have to move the blood as quickly as possible from donor to recipient. They don't have time or resources for all the tests they would like to do. They are doing the best they can with what they have.

I don't understand why it seems like people get offended on such a personal level. The blood banks are trying to keep the blood supply safe. Perhaps erring a bit on the side of caution, but they are not the bad guys here.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    yeah I think after 6 months or something you're "OK" again.

However if you lived in Europe, travel to third world countries, or otherwise have a damned life you can't give blood.
    I've been traveling to 3rd world countries, regularly for business, since the 1980s & have never been turned down for donating my blood. They love me as I have a very rare AB- blood type & I bleed well & fill up the bags quickly. I like to donate, it's
    good for me & good for those on the receiving end for both the plasma & blood.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I don't understand why it seems like people get offended on such a personal level.
    I know that I really was offended when it happened to me. I have lived pretty much a sqeaky-clean life, except for living in another first-world country. So I decide to brave the needle and give, oh, say, my very BLOOD, and then get told I am not good enough. I mean, how much more visceral can it get?

I do truly understand you, and the blood banks, so I have no true argument with them. I, too, want to know that any blood my family would possibly receive is clean to the best of current ability. I just needed to respond to that sentence.

bionicsamm is offline Senior Member
    It's not a rule about the vaccine, it's about titres and those giving a false positive to the screening process.

They've done such a wonderful job of keeping it safe...

And people get offended on a personal level because they're DISCRIMINATING, their stance is no different then telling people they can't donate because they're black. They're stereotyping their potential clients and eliminating them based on that.

Anyways, I'm not mad at them. I think they're doing a poor job for what they have available to them. I would much rather a blood product that had been tested than one where people may or may not have truthfully answered a survey.

ETA, I'm AB- and bleed like a stuck pig, it's really crappy that they have such poor testing processes because I would be giving on a regular basis.
    Last edited by bionicsamm; 07-05-2012 at 05:07 AM.

Paleobird Guest
    I think the concerns about where you have lived are real.

I do agree that the policy against gay men and women who have ever slept with a bi guy is something that needs revising. I think that policy is a relic of the 1980's when gay people were dropping dead left and right and they really didn't have a good understanding of the situation. This perhaps needs an update.

All blood is screened for HIV, Hep A-Z, before it gets to the hospitals.
    I think the problem about trying to screen for malaria and mad cow is that the tests take longer. This is what I was told by a Blood Bank employee.

bionicsamm is offline Senior Member
    IF the concerns about where you lived were valid, people living in those places wouldn't be able to donate to their own citizens. Do you understand that? That's why it makes no sense to have a geographical component. People who live in Africa aren't more willing to accept malaria-tainted blood LOL! Or like a previous poster mentioned, there obviously isn't a UK restriction when you're in the UK, they're not worried about mad cow and as they have already pointed out, there's more cases of mad cow in the US than the UK.

Paleobird Guest
    The people living in those places are already exposed to those pathogens so having it in the blood supply doesn't matter to them. Also since pathogen free places can't possibly export enough blood for everyone else, they don't really have any choice.

Since we do live in a relatively pathogen free place and do have the choice, what's wrong with trying to have a pathogen free blood supply? Why is this such a bad idea? If more eligible people would donate, we could have plenty of blood available and still err on the side of caution. So, how about starting a campaign at your workplace, church, community center, etc, to have a blood drive instead of ranting about the blood banks being soooooooo restrictive?

The UK prohibition is only for people who lived there during a certain time period (I forget the exact years) when there was a real problem there. The blood bank is aware that this situation has improved.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    The notion that I owe the entire world in one way or another and ought to feel compelled to pay through charity or bleeding in one form or another to every cause I hear about is a significant stressor. This is, I believe, another thing white people struggle with - caring too much while being powerless to resolve the scenario. I've figured out that I can't give to every charity, and I'm sure as hell not obligated to feel like a sinner every waking minute that I'm not helping feed a starving child, puppy, or old person. Money and blood are the same thing. If I wanted to live in misery, I know of several far more entertaining ways to die than guilt. I say this so other people reading this don't feel alone.

Every cause is honorable, and I cannot honor them all. So, to become stronger, I say "No" to all of them. For now.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I used to donate before I got sick...
    And I have a crap blood type so I would take the extra time to do the plasma only donation.
    Take the blood out, separate blood from platelets, put platelets back... they got to keep plasma.
    That stuff is hard to get from people evidently and they love a donor who will give it.
    The biggest issue... time!
    It always took about 2 hours instead of the quick poke and take a bag method. Plus, multiple punctures.
    And it gets used fast and locally most of the time.
    I really didn't ever mind the time... I'd just take a movie to watch or book to read.

My son had a better blood type so he did the opposite of me... being young and healthy he would give double red cells.
    Also takes more time than a standard poke and drain.
    He got free cookies afterward... enough to make a teen happy.
    Plus, there wasn't anything wrong with teaching him about a little service to community either... between that and other activities.

It's not about "owing" anyone anything.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I used to donate before I got sick...

Plus, there wasn't anything wrong with teaching him about a little service to community either... between that and other activities.
    It's not about "owing" anyone anything.
    Yes, we are a tribe, like it or not. Helping each other out is what makes us collectively stronger. You can be on the giving end of the help when you are young and strong and maybe be on the receiving end of that help later on due to illness or accident. What goes around comes around. Consider it community karma.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast