Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Blood Donation page 4

Andtckrtoo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm especially lucky in that the Bloodmobile comes to my office once every 8-12 weeks. So, I get to give blood over lunch. It's kind of a badge of honor to wear those lovely colored bandages around the office afterward.
    Christine
    Wag more, bark less

BigChris is offline Senior Member
    "Persons who have spent long periods of time in countries where "mad cow disease" is found are not eligible to donate"

Yep I’m one of the ones banned for life - for spending several years (cumulatively) in the UK/EU.
    04/23/2012 Initial Weight : 445 lbs
    06/27/2012 Current weight : 403 lbs
    07/29/2014 Goal weight : 200 lbs

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Our office park is doing one in a week or two and I'm SO looking forward to it. I haven't been able to get out to the donation center and make an appointment myself. There's no excuse for me to not go to this one. Can't wait!

Donating blood is SO very important. Yes they can be restrictive in their selection - that's a whole separate issue. The important part is that those who CAN donate DO.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andtckrtoo View Post
    I'm especially lucky in that the Bloodmobile comes to my office once every 8-12 weeks. So, I get to give blood over lunch. It's kind of a badge of honor to wear those lovely colored bandages around the office afterward.
    I'm jealous! They do one every once in a while at my work, but always during hours so that no one out in the field can donate.

To be honest, that's when they do the holiday party stuff too. Everything centers around office staff, but I couldn't care less about the parties. I'd just love to able to donate blood without driving halfway across the county.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Lifeshare still won't take me. Last time I was in Germany it was 8 straight years, and evidently I should just give it up. Even tho I have otherwise zero other disqualifications, and have been back for double-digit years now. Frustrating.
    You know - I just thought of something... If I cannot donate blood in the US because I lived in Germany too long (so say the American banks), then where is GERMANY getting ITS blood??

halfbunny is offline Senior Member
    ^^ Yep, I know. Its perfectly fine in the EU to donate blood, if you lived in the EU for over 24 years prior LOL.

There are more reported Mad cow disease cases in Canada/US than in the Netherlands & Belgium together (and the Belgium/Dutch cases originated from UK citizens). I think they need to revise that rule in the US!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Donating blood is SO very important. Yes they can be restrictive in their selection - that's a whole separate issue. The important part is that those who CAN donate DO.
    This^^^. I think there are a lot of people who are just freaked out by needles and the sight of blood. I have heard several people who work at the blood bank say that, nine times out of ten, when they have a donor who passes out or pukes, it's a guy. Often big strong healthy guys. That is a mental block for a lot of people.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    This^^^. I think there are a lot of people who are just freaked out by needles and the sight of blood. I have heard several people who work at the blood bank say that, nine times out of ten, when they have a donor who passes out or pukes, it's a guy. Often big strong healthy guys. That is a mental block for a lot of people.
    I had a 250 lb body builder pass out when I gave him an immunization shot, little tiny needle.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    I have a friend who was in the Army - he worked in the lab at a big Army hospital and did a lot of blood draws. He specifically had to learn how to brace himself so he and Big Hulking Guy wouldn't both hit the floor when BHG passed out, it happened that often. But then again, this hospital got a lot of business, so I am not implying anything.

bionicsamm is offline Senior Member
    And the real reason why the blood supply is low is not the draconian prohibitions of the blood bank, it is because there are many people who would be perfectly eligible to donate but are too lazy and/or don't give a damn about their fellow human beings enough to do it.
    Canada had 900,000 donations last year, approximately an additional 15% were turned away. The demand for blood increases approximately 2% a year. Any shortage could be corrected by changing their rules. They could take blood and TEST for problems but it's cheaper just to insult your lifestyle or kick you out of the chair because you could be carrying mad cow, ridiculous.

BTW, I can't donate because my previous hep vaccinations flag the system (because they use cheap screening.) They put positives through a more expensive screen after so they can inform you if you have a debilitating illness but even when this test comes back negative, it doesn't matter. Once you're flagged on the first test, you're banned from ever donating...unless your "immunity" wears off.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast