Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Blood Donation page 3

Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinup View Post
    I am A-. Everything else was fine, but after an hour of watching videos and doing blood tests and all the other stuff, they turned me away because a hood piercing "insinuates a certain lifestyle." I never tried again, but I sometimes wonder if that was just a dumb clinic, or if that's standard.
    There are standard rules about not donating shortly after getting any kind of piercing (where or what is a hood piercing BTW ). I'm not sure exactly what the waiting period is. This is about making sure there is no infection in the wound and that it is all healed up first. They actually said "insinuates a certain lifestyle"? That was definitely a dumb clinic.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sihana View Post
    Yeeeouch!

But this begs the question if that piercing is in such an intimate area, how did the clinic people even know it was there?

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yeeeouch!

But this begs the question if that piercing is in such an intimate area, how did the clinic people even know it was there?
    You're supposed to answer honestly, just like they wouldn't know if you traveled out of the country.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

emmie is online now Senior Member
    Yes, there's a different test for donating plasma--based on red blood cells, I think.

I used to donate plasma but 'failed' the test the last time I offered. I was concerned and saw my hematologist, and he told me that my blood was just fine, but the blood banks have a much higher standard for plasma donation because of the 'danger' of depleting the recipient.

Now I only donate whole blood.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    You're supposed to answer honestly, just like they wouldn't know if you traveled out of the country.
    True but they only ask if you've had any piercings recently, not if you've ever had any.

yeah I think after 6 months or something you're "OK" again.

However if you lived in Europe, travel to third world countries, or otherwise have a damned life you can't give blood.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Thats what i thought, piercings were 6 months and tattoos a year, or something similar. They had me circle all my tattoos and piercings on a drawing of a body, in a "show me where the bad man touched you" kind of way. I hadnt had anything done in well over a year, but they said genital piercings are under the "if you've ever" disqualification list.
    LOL, I'm surprised they accept anything other than virgin blood at this point.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Paleobird Guest
    Thats what i thought, piercings were 6 months and tattoos a year, or something similar. They had me circle all my tattoos and piercings on a drawing of a body, in a "show me where the bad man touched you" kind of way. I hadnt had anything done in well over a year, but they said genital piercings are under the "if you've ever" disqualification list.
    Weird. That's not any kind of national standard. Perhaps the clinic that did this reasons that, since that particular area is very sensitive and delicate tissue, having a piercing there puts you at a higher risk of an infection at any given time. Elevated white cell count and all that. I've been donating blood for decades and have never seen such a chart.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    However if you lived in Europe, travel to third world countries, or otherwise have a damned life you can't give blood.
    Why is this so horrible? There are real reasons for these concerns, (e.g. mad cow disease, malaria) and the deferrals aren't permanent, just until it is safe again.

They are just trying to keep the blood supply safe and perhaps erring a bit on the side of caution but I would rather have that than donor blood with malaria swimming in it.

And the real reason why the blood supply is low is not the draconian prohibitions of the blood bank, it is because there are many people who would be perfectly eligible to donate but are too lazy and/or don't give a damn about their fellow human beings enough to do it.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 07-01-2012 at 10:38 PM.

faithy22 is offline Member
    I donate every 8 weeks. It's my little way of paying it forward. God forbid, someday I may need blood and would like there to be other people donating for me.

I donated platelets a few times. I would do it again but I have horrible veins and it just doesn't work most of the time.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast