Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Blood Donation page 2

June68 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I would love to give blood, but the first time I did I passed out afterwards when I was walking out of the room. The second time it was during and they pulled the plug. It's not because of needles or the sight of blood, I find the process fascinating and the little see-saw thing mesmerizing...I don't know what it is, but I just can't stay conscious.
    5' 9" 44 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)

PB Journal

CarlaC is offline Member
    I have a friend who was dx'd with Acute Myelocytic Leukemia last week. I gave platelets a few days ago. Can't say it was the most fun I've ever had, but...

I was surprised at the amount of questions they asked. I have been to a bunch of Caribbean islands in the last few years- we had to go over each and every one. But I can see why they screen so thoroughly!

liza is offline Senior Member
    Another reason - I can't donate blood because I weigh under 110 pounds.

@june68
    That happens sometimes. Specialy when people don't eat or drink enough before donating and also most times for vegetarians or vegans. Which i consider fun

June68 is offline Senior Member
    That's interesting, Australian_Carnivore. Maybe after a few months of this WOE, I'll give it another go. I felt fine about giving and I'm a good candidate so I'd like to try again.
    5' 9" 44 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)

PB Journal

halfbunny is offline Senior Member
    Interesting to read how it works in the US! For example the "every 8 weeks": I am female and in Belgium & the Netherlands, you can donate max every 5.5 months, 16 US ounces of blood + sometimes a little more for plasma. I can't imagine doing that every 8 weeks!!

+ Living in the EU for over 5 years is not a reason for not-donating LOL, its a requirement here!
    (Though i remember a question along the lines of ' living in the UK for over 2 years and eating beef at least once a week ')
    They are VERY strict about iron levels in the blood though, like, they need to be top notch or you are send off for at least 2 or 3 months. How is that in the US (and UK)?

@june68
    Wish you the best for your next try, but you hat a few letters to much in my nick
    But you are right I should visit australia.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by June68 View Post
    Maybe after a few months of this WOE, I'll give it another go. I felt fine about giving and I'm a good candidate so I'd like to try again.
    I got rejected a few times for low iron levels but that hasn't been a problem since I got over being grossed out by liver.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinup View Post
    I have never tried to donate blood, although I would. I assumed the rules are the same as they are for plasma, which I was turned away from. Are they different, by any chance?
    I would think the rules would be the same. With me they never want the plasma. They prefer the whole blood since I have O- the universal donor, good for ERs. They also use the O- for neonates who it's impossible to blood type.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 06-30-2012 at 11:29 PM.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    The Europe concern is about mad cow disease and they only refuse you if you have spent time that adds up to five or more years there, not just a vacation in Paris.
    Lifeshare still won't take me. Last time I was in Germany it was 8 straight years, and evidently I should just give it up. Even tho I have otherwise zero other disqualifications, and have been back for double-digit years now. Frustrating.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast