Thread: I fell off the wagon and it ran over me.... page

TamiO is offline Member

I fell off the wagon and it ran over me....

Shop Now
    If you've been following the news, you probably know that Colorado is having some bad wildfires right now. I live in Colorado Springs, and we have been in the middle of a really big one for the last week. I am not a firefighter, but my job requires me to be in the thick of things helping out, so I have had 16 hour days for the last 6 days. I am exhausted, and have been at the mercy of the emergency op center as far as my eating. I've done sort of ok - I've tried to avoid bread and so am eating the meat/cheese out of the breakfast sandwiches and avoiding the coffee cake, doing meat & cheese for lunches, etc. However it is all out there & available and it's crept in. I had cookies the other afternoon, a sandwich where I pretty much had to eat some of the bread to have enough calories to get through the afternoon, and I ate a bagel yesterday. Where we are located there is no place to just pop out and grab other food, and in the whirlwind of getting home at midnight and being back at work at 7 every day my packed lunches are falling by the wayside.

So, I have tried, but hunger and having to eat what's available have made this a bad week. I'm hopeful I can get back on the wagon next week, but I am SOOOO tired that anything that is edible looks good to me right now.

I know I can get back on track at some point and don't really need advice so much as some mental comfort that things will get back to normal and that I haven't blown it by having a bad week....

Erf..... the bright spot is that I have not had ONE soda this week, and they are plentiful. I knew if I had one that the resulting crash would make me sick.

TamiO

hamstercaster is offline Junior Member
    Don't sweat it Tami0. These are unforeseen circumstances that you can't really control. Just roll with it for the time being and do not feel guilty about it. There isn't much you can do better than you are doing now. You need the calories to be able to make it through those 16 hour shifts. Just do the best you can for that period and get back on track once everything calms down and lets you get back to your normal routine.

primalswan is offline Senior Member
    Don't beat yourself up. Instead, be pissed that we live in a country that wants to fuel people helping out in a crisis situation with coffee cake and bagels. How hard is it to provide some hard boiled eggs, beef jerky, veggie or cold cut trays. Uggh. Hang in there!

Kinnell is offline Member
    Grains would have been last resort starvation food for our ancestors, so I'd say your technically still primal

Tercio is offline Senior Member
    Don't worry about it, your primal life should give you more health and vigor to fight this good fight. Now is the time to put to use what gains you have made. Imagine how you'd feel if you hadn't gone primal. Hopefully, soon, life can return to normal.

Tercio

TamiO is offline Member
    What's sad too is that overall the ingredients in whatever they are offering are SO sub-par. I mean, bless them for providing something to all these people who are working around the clock, but even things that were sort of primal (ham, cheese, salad, etc) just tasted bad. Chemical tasting, not fresh, etc. I've just gotten used to my BAS salad for lunch every day with avocado and bacon and goat cheese and homemade dressing and organic baby spinach, lol...

I have the day off today and will go back again tomorrow, but will be prepared with my own food in a small cooler.

One funny - they brought spinach salad and lasagna and spaghetti for lunch yesterday. They also brought a GIGANTIC sheet cake with berries all over the top (which I guess makes it qualify as a health food??). An hour later there was a tiny dent in the spinach salad but that cake was completely gone.

I have been really focusing on staying hydrated though and got some 40,000 Volts electrolyte concentrate. Drinking this in some water every morning has been a huge help, and I don't get dizzy and feel icky when I am eating less - keeping up the mineral balance has made a HUGE difference in the way I feel.

Thanks for the encouragement!

JudyCr is online now Senior Member
    I'm so sorry you're having those fires.. houses being burned down, even people dying, much less all the little animals losing their homes too. Made me very sad to see that on the news. My heart and prayers go out to you. Just try to eat as healthy as possible with healthy snacks inbetween meals and you can get back on track when all this calms down. Please rain on CO, mother nature, pleaseeeee

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    Tamio, stay safe, get some rest, and keep on doing what you're doing... so terrible what's going on there.

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Hang in there, sounds like you're good work, and making the best of a bad situation.

My question is, where is the rest of the community? Instead of cold cut platters from the nearest Costco, they should be running a mobile kitchen with freshly cooked food! That's how it used to be...people being taken care of, take care of those doing the taking care of...

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Who cares? Lots of people on this forum seem to think if you stop eating primal for a day theyre going to gain 80lbs and die the next week. I went to a party last night and ate a burger..... with a bun. I am still here. When you were on your SAD diet did you NEVER eat any fat? did you freak out when you didn't use a whole wheat bun? Your too busy, you take the food thats available to you. You'll still be alive next week to eat primal again.