Thread: Input on cholesterol results page

tom05 is offline Member

Input on cholesterol results

Primal Fuel
    Hey paleo peeps

Sorry, I realize this is probably the 1000th post of this nature, but I'm a little worried and would love some of your non CW input!!

Just got my bloodwork back and my doctor was freaked out by my cholesterol levels:
    Total: 7.1 (274)
    Hdl: 2.1 (81.2)
    LDL: 4.8 (185)
    Trigs: 0.4 (35)

Not sure about the conversions but the mmol/L results are accurate. I've done some searching here and on the paleo solution forum, and from what I can tell these results aren't too bad but could be better?
    I've also seen recommendations for using a VAP test as a more accurate test.
    Should I be concerned? Should I go for the VAP test?
    Thanks for your help!!

Edit: forgot to mention: 24 yo male, paleo for almost a year n half. ~70kg
    Last edited by tom05; 06-28-2012 at 10:34 PM.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Tom, I'd say they are excellent results. Forget a VAP test, it'll just say that you have Type A LDL - the large, fluffy kind.

If you can exercise heavily without getting unduly puffed you've got no noticeable vascular disease so have nothing to worry about on that count
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

tom05 is offline Member
    Thanks for the response mate. I had a general idea that cholesterol results on paleo would raise eyebrows for CW gps, just wanted some assurance. my hsCRP was 0.7 mg/L which i took to be a good indication of a low CVD risk anyway.
    cheers!

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Yes, your excellent CRP is considered a better indicator of low CVD risk than any cholesterol numbers. And your high HDL and low trigs are much more important than the LDL 'number.'

You're fine!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, your results are great. Check out the primer in my sig if you want to drill into it more.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right