Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daily work-outs. How long before I'm in the red? page

Knifegill is online now Senior Member

Daily work-outs. How long before I'm in the red?

Shop Now
    So, according to what I believe and have seen here, working out every day should be detrimental. My muscles shouldn't have time to rebuild and I should experience joint pain, etc. This is day three of good, hard work-outs (primarily bar work like chin-ups and stuff with no name) and I've seen no detriment here on day 3. So what gives? When does my work backfire? I know I'm something of a freak, muscularly, gaining strength at low reps but bad at high-rep stuff. Could there be some people more suited to daily exercise? I'm going to stop if I feel pain or my reps go down. But so far it's been great.

I'd track my work-outs, but a lot of what I do doesn't have names or ways to be measured. I'll at least use underhand chin-ups as a baseline.

Did 20 chin-ups in the first set for the past three days straight. I will continue to do these first as a general test of recovery ability.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Are you working the same body parts each day?

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Sure, workout every day if you feel good. .

Pretty much! Mostly monkey stuff. I can't do much leg work because of cramps, so I focus on core strength, leg lifts, L-sits, hanging from the rings and drawing big circles with my pointed toes, clapping push-ups, clapping chin-ups, etc. Again, I work out alone, I have had no training, and know what I know mainly from anatomy and physiology and what I've picked up on the web.

I will be intentionally doing the same exercises for the next several days on end, to have some sort of control over this experiment.

Just banged out 40 push-ups in one set - again. So 20 chin-ups and 40 push-ups is our baseline, and those are 1 set of maxing out. I go to exhaustion. Then I always do a second set, and sometimes a third, with about 1 minute rests between. I guess I'll start recording the second and third set, too, but they're usually pretty wussy.

Edit: Second set of push-ups = 20 reps.
    Last edited by Knifegill; 06-28-2012 at 05:15 PM.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

otzi Guest
    I'm rethinking my workouts as well. For over a year, I have been working out daily, maybe skipping a Saturday or Sunday now and then. Generally, every day, I have been doing either chinups, pullups, pushups, and/or squats. I would normally do like 150-200 chins/pulls, divided into 15 or 20 sets, several hundred pushups or squats in sets of 25 reps, sometimes doing these reverse pyramid style or just in straight sets.

I never really get sore muscles. I feel the squats for a couple days if I use my 50 or 100lbs sand bags.

A couple months ago I switched to just doing one exercsie for a whole week. Last week I did 150-200 chinups every day. This week I'm doing pullups, 100 or so a day, broken into 3-4 sets.

Well, today I watched a Body By Science video of a guy doing 2-minute chinups and had to try.

One minute up, hold a few seconds and one minute down--What a mother-----er!

I'm still feeling it several hours later. I did 2 chinups like this, about 30 minutes apart. Right after the last one, I tried doing a few pullups and couldn't even do 2.

They seem to think that a couple of these a week is all you need. I'm gonna try this for a while. Should work with squats, dips, and pushups, too.

Yeah, I've done some of this slo-mo stuff! Did it for a week or two, loved it, then forgot about it in the busyness of life. I often let my last rep drag on painfully long, a sort of fuzzy application of that principle.

But this isn't about that, it's about normal work-outs, which admittedly may be inefficient and misguided. I always get a better workout from the slo-mo stuff, myself.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Eh, I guess it all depends on intensity and the actual exercise. If you were doing 20 rep squats of 315, I guarantee you wouldn't be doing them again on the following day. Adequate food and rest affect performance obviously. But, could someone do bicep curls 7 days a week? Yeah, is there a point, not really other than a penchant for bicep curls. You gotta give your muscle time to recover and grow. Can you train like you are training and see results, sure, for how long, I guess you'll find out. And another question is, is it optimal?
    Last edited by Fernaldo; 06-28-2012 at 07:30 PM.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

otzi Guest
    I don't think I could do too many chinups that I couldn't do the same amount the next day. Not that i've tried to burn myself out, I'm sure there's a point.

When I started this trip, I wanted to create a sustainable lifestyle of diet and exercise. The diet worked itself out pretty well, and the exercising ended up being as many pushups, chins, pulls, and squats as I could fit in a day.

dgreenwood is offline Senior Member
    I don't think that the problem with working out every day (especially body weight stuff) is that your strength will deteriorate, the problem with working out too frequently is that your muscles won't have time to grow as well as they would with adequate recovery time.

In the military I'd do push ups, sit ups, chin ups, and stuff like that every day for weeks straight with no drop in performance. I just wonder if I would have shown better improvement if I'd been allowed to observe better work/rest cycles (I wasn't really given that choice though).

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    I'm going to get all mathy and graphical here. This is a bell curve:

The X-Axis the sum of frequency and intensity of workouts. The Y-Axis indicates performance level increase, up is more, faster stronger whatever.

The more you do, up until the apex (round bit), the more gains you see. After that it's diminishing returns, i.e. "over-training." You may still be getting gains, they will however, be slower than at the apex.

Where exactly this point lies varies, person, diet, genetics, fitness level, etc. So the whole reason to avoid over-training is to maximize input to output ratio, why work harder than needed?

Regarding the military, they notoriously over-train. Mostly because everyone thinks "more is more," the focus is pretty much just getting the most people to meet the minimum standard.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast