Thread: Calcium...Getting enough? page

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member

Calcium...Getting enough?

Primal Fuel
    So we've gone off dairy for a month to see what happens and I am a little worried about getting enough calcium, especially for the toddler. We use bone broth in a lot of dishes and eat lots of broccoli and spinach but is that enough?

How do you make sure you get enough calcium without dairy?
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Why do you think you need ungodly amounts of calcium?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Probably because I'm brainwashed that if you don't drink x amount of milk a day your going to get osteoporosis. Also, I'm obsessive when it comes to kiddo's diet. Which is why we eat primal in the first place.

However, I'm still curious if bone broth and veggies provide enough calcium.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    It's not the calcium, it's all the complementary nutrients you need to USE the calcium you get. What are they again? Magnesium, K2, D3 and a few others, I believe. Basically eat your tallow and greens and take some D3 of you get no sun, and you are good to go because your body will utilize all the calcium it gets properly. Excess calcium is dangerous, and associated with stones, plaques and other calcifications of the body in the absence of the complementary nutrients.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    It's not the calcium, it's all the complementary nutrients you need to USE the calcium you get. What are they again? Magnesium, K2, D3 and a few others, I believe. Basically eat your tallow and greens and take some D3 of you get no sun, and you are good to go because your body will utilize all the calcium it gets properly. Excess calcium is dangerous, and associated with stones, plaques and other calcifications of the body in the absence of the complementary nutrients.
    +1. Fermented foods will provide the K2
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaylee99 View Post
    Probably because I'm brainwashed that if you don't drink x amount of milk a day your going to get osteoporosis.
    It's beginning to look like it's the protein matrix in the bone that's the determining factor in osteoporosis. It has a pretty high incidence in many populations that do get plenty of dietary calcium. It probably occurs as frequently as it does in elderly people in these populations, because of excessive carbohydrate consumption. It's suggested that what happens is this: when you sleep so are in the fasted state, if you've trained yourself to be a sugar-burner (so that you don't burn fat so easily), you'll rob protein out of your muscles and bones, turn it to glucose, and burn it. The Japanese, apparently, don''t give drugs like fosamax to osteoporotic patients -- because they don't help: you actually get thicker but more brittle bones -- they give the MK4 form of vitamin K2, because that helps with laying down protein in the bones.

Also, I'm obsessive when it comes to kiddo's diet. Which is why we eat primal in the first place.

However, I'm still curious if bone broth and veggies provide enough calcium.
    I don't know. I'd suspect you're in the clear. Obviously you do need minerals in the diet (not just calcium). Bone broth is said to deliver a good supply of them.

There are populations that never touch dairy products after weaning. However, that raises a thought. Hunter-gatherers usually breast-feed till two or even three. I don't actually know what all the minerals are in what proportions in human breast milk -- or the other nutrients come to that. Nor do I know whether a small child's requirements are different from an adult's. I've an idea that some of the sources from which we adults get calcium -- leafy green vegetables, for example -- may not have the calcium in a form in which it's easy for a small child to use it. But then you are using the broth.

Dr. Cate Shanhan mentions a friend's child brought up on bone-broth, on account the whole family is sensitive to dairy products and can't eat them, who is very physically active and strong. She's not against dairy products; in fact, she's a proponent of raw dairy; but what do people do if they can't tolerate it? The answer seems to be that they do just fine on bone broth.

Perhaps you could drop Dr. Cate a line to ask for an opinion. My sense is that what you're doing is fine, but I'm not medically qualified.

drcate.com

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I didn't drink milk for 20 years and regret it. There is no reason to go off dairy; honestly, it is just too difficult to get enough calcium without it. I seem to do better on milk and cheese than cultured products but no, I would never "drop dairy" again, what a mistake.

Calcium is important for weight loss:
    Calcium and Fat-Burning

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks everyone! I guess I am worrying for no reason. We'll keep up the bone broth and greens.

Fiercehunter-Munchkin showed a slight allergy to cow's milk when we had the big drama last year (ended up she was very allergic to soy). She does get some cheese but not often (more of a treat) and doesn't seem to have an issue. I am doing a Whole30 this month and I've really noticed just how little dairy products we eat anymore...which got me thinking and worrying and...

If you are getting enough calcium from veggies would you really need dairy?