Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Taste of Grass Fed Beef page 2

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlaC View Post
    Yeah, I hate it, too. It's a hell of a lot leaner, though, which is part of the problem. I have been looking for a half cow and finally today found a great guy at a farmer's market.
    Yeah, when I want a stack of fattier ground beef I get it this U.S. Wellness Meats — Our Animals Eat Right So You Can Too.

When I get it by the cow I get this Beef Bundles

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bekki View Post
    Does anyone else have a problem with it???

I bought some grass fed tenderloin a year ago or so when it was a great deal. I didn't really care for the flavor, though.

Now that I really know the benefits of eating grass fed beef, I am considering buying a half or quarter from a local farm.

Meanwhile, I decided to just buy a package of grass fed ground beef at the health food store yesterday. Used it to make lunch today... and I still don't like the taste.

For those of you who have made the switch, how did you handle that? Did you just put on your big kid pants and power through until you got used to it? Did it never bother you to begin with?
    I can't believe this post! My wife and I used to be major beef eaters. We moved to N. Ireland in 1982 and were disgusted by the taste of grass fed beef which was the only beef available there. I recently decided to try grass fed beef and we discovered a farm less than 10 miles away where we can buy 1 lb package of grass fed ground beef which we are going to do to see if we will like it. My wife says we are wasting our time/ money but I will let you know how it turns out.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    If you just eat it every day, you'll get used to the difference in a week or so, and then grain-finished beef will taste funny to you.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Ha-ha! You let your taste buds tell you what to do! They are there to serve you, not the other way around. I say "BOW BEFORE ME TASTE BUDS, we're going to eat this now - get used to it!".

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Wrenwood is offline Senior Member
    I eat it often and didn't notice a real taste difference. I season it with onion, paprika, salt and pepper though. Tonight I threw in a pat of butter which was delicious though it had plenty of fat. I do have to be careful not to overcook it.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57034.html

"...since our orthodox theories have not saved us we may have to readjust them to bring them into harmony with Nature's laws. Nature must be obeyed, not orthodoxy." Weston A. Price

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Only once did I buy some grassfed beef and found the taste to be terrible. All other times it has tasted good. Sometimes it's been a bit tough, but I've never had it taste off like that one time. I never ate much beef before this so I can't really compare to regular beef, but once in a while I have regular beef and to me it tastes the same.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I have had grass fed beef from several farms that were way to gamey to me. I hate that flavor and can't choke down the meat.

You have to find a farm and/or a breed of cow that you like. I have found several farms now where the meat is delicious. So keep shopping around.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Bekki is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for all of the input, everyone! I think I will have to tour the local farms (there are LOTS around here) and try their beef.

I want to switch to grass-fed beef, because I totally believe that it is healthier. I just don't want to "bite off more than I can chew".

Then there's the issue of my husband. He is NOT thrilled with this diet at all (even though he can eat whatever he wants away from home). If I bring home some funky tasting beef, he'll probably leave me. LOL

For now, our local, pasture-raised, grain-finished beef is still better than supermarket stuff. I will take some time to research.

Thanks, all!

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    I guess after eating plenty of deer, elk, moose and bear meat, our grass-fed angus beef tastes pretty mild in comparison. Then again, I don't think any of our wild game has tasted 'gamey'. Luckily hubby's latest animals have been youngsters, not the tough old bulls.

I really do believe the age and breed of the animal, as well how the beef is aged and butchered, makes a difference in the flavor. .
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Bekki is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    I guess after eating plenty of deer, elk, moose and bear meat, our grass-fed angus beef tastes pretty mild in comparison. Then again, I don't think any of our wild game has tasted 'gamey'. Luckily hubby's latest animals have been youngsters, not the tough old bulls.

I really do believe the age and breed of the animal, as well how the beef is aged and butchered, makes a difference in the flavor. .
    If I was used to eating a lot of game meat, I'm sure the grass-fed beef would be a piece of cake. My dad is a lousy hunter, though. I only got to try venison a couple times as a kid. lol

One of our employees gave us a deer this past winter. While I am super appreciative, I have found that I do NOT like venison. It's wild meat, so of course, it's super healthy. So we do eat it. But I have to season the heck out of it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast