Thread: Probiotics - supplements or food? page

CaveWeirdo is offline Senior Member

Probiotics - supplements or food?

Shop Now
    Have taken a probiotic supplement for 2 months, as well as eating primal for 4 months. I also eat full fat greek yoghurt occasionally as I seem to tolerate it ok (although I don't have milk as it gives me reflux).

I was taking these supplements along with various others recommended for primal eaters but have stopped having most of them, as I am fairly knowledgeable about what nutrients are in which foods and figure I don't particularly need to supplement them any more (except perhaps magnesium for my monthly cramps, and D3 in the winter).

My budget is also a factor in this decision, I would much rather spend my money on delicious healthy foods and not worry about taking loads of different supplements though.

I'm not so sure about probiotics though. Are they really necessary if I'm eating yoghurt now and then? I was taking a brand that had 7 different strains, is there any advantage to this over just having Lactobacillus strains?

I've also heard that although the supplements contain billions of bacteria, very few of them actually make it to the colon. What's your opinion on this?

EDIT: I also should mention, although it may be tmi, that I had a very bad stomach flu recently with extremely acute diarrhea and although I feel fine now I'm sure it must have had a bad impact on my gut flora! I have just re-introduced yoghurt today after a few days of a very-low-fiber recovery diet. Am wondering if I need to get out my wallet and buy some more supplements too.
    Last edited by CaveWeirdo; 06-28-2012 at 02:07 PM.
    Start weight: 238 lbs (March 2012)
    Current weight: 205 lbs (July 2012)
    Loss so far: 33 lbs!!!
    WOE: Primal + IF
    Movements: Hiking, sprinting.
    Goal: to see my abs some time in 2013!

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Dr. Art Ayers over at the Cooling Inflammation blog is a little skeptical of yoghurt, and even probiotics, as a sufficient answer. A good yoghurt would probably have three different species of bacteria, a good probiotic a few more, but a healthy gut perhaps hundreds.

Cooling Inflammation: Dr. Oz on Gut Flora Repair

You could try making your own fermented foods, such as sauerkraut. The advantage is that you will supposedly get some of the bacteria that are in your own environment in there, if you make it yourself.

EDIT

The link refers to Dr. Oz, but don't worry: he's not recommending some kind of Ozian protocol; he just seems to regularly enjoy correcting whatever blunder Oz has just made on TV in his blog. LOL.
    Last edited by Lewis; 06-28-2012 at 01:44 PM. Reason: spelling

GeorgiaPeach is offline Senior Member
    Look into water kefir... It is cheap!! And I noticed a huge difference with it vs supplement probiotics.
    Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member
    is greek yogurt one?
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.