Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Squatting - knees over toes? page 2

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    sorry this is BS. squat properly and don't worry about whether knees pass toes. random personal trainers spew out bits like this to cue people to squat back into their hips, which is great, but there's really no line in the sand about knees passing toes. frankly, i think it's just about inevitable.
    I would only say to try not to go pass the toe when one is doing a regular squat. If you are doing a full squat it is impossible to not go pass your toes. If the OP is going pass pass his toes then the form is off balanced due to some hip mobility issues, could be the weight is too much or not resting the Barbell properly on the upper back along with some support from hands. All these can throw off your balance hence one would pass the toes.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cayla29s View Post
    I would only say to try not to go pass the toe when one is doing a regular squat. If you are doing a full squat it is impossible to not go pass your toes. If the OP is going pass pass his toes then the form is off balanced due to some hip mobility issues, could be the weight is too much or not resting the Barbell properly on the upper back along with some support from hands. All these can throw off your balance hence one would pass the toes.
    i'm not sure what the distinction is between a regular squat and a full squat. i'm talking about full squats, a la rippetoe. the knees simply will pass the toes. the squat is definitely initiated in the hips, powered by the hips, and completely hip dominant, i'm guessing that's where the cue comes from.

erikJ is offline Senior Member
    +1 what Jakey said. Front squats are also impossible without the knees going past the toes, you'd fall over if you didn't. Wrecking your knees with squats has more to do with the lateral strain from not tracking the knees properly with the direction of the toes. i.e. Squeezing your knees together too much out of the bottom.

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    i'm not sure what the distinction is between a regular squat and a full squat. i'm talking about full squats, a la rippetoe. the knees simply will pass the toes. the squat is definitely initiated in the hips, powered by the hips, and completely hip dominant, i'm guessing that's where the cue comes from.
    i thought you were talking about this Squat Calisthenic Exercise | CalisthenicExercise.com
    The full squat is your ass to the ground this http://gubernatrix.co.uk/2009/09/why...ld-full-squat/
    Last edited by cayla29s; 06-28-2012 at 08:30 PM.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Knee position relative to toes is BULLSHIT. 1) Everyone has slightly different length; feet, tibias and femurs. This is not a cue for correct posture on a Low Bar Back Squat. 2) Damned near everything else matters but that.

Correct Cues: Heels of feet shoulder width, toes angled out (about 30 deg.), bar balanced over MIDFOOT (not ankle), knees aligned with feet PUSH OUT, hips below knees, drive hips UP, knees OUT.

MY toes are slightly past MY knees, as most peoples will be. But if you have short legs and wear a size 14 shoe, guess what, your knees won't be in front. So in short it matters not.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

inesenite is offline Senior Member
    I would go with the ones who say don't worry, as long as your squat form is good. I get comments from trainers and other customers at the gym when I squat - "nooo, don't do that, your knees go past your toes!". However, that's how my brilliant trainer, who is a trainee or Charles Poliquin, taught me to squat. "A** to Grass", full fange, knees in front of toes. Besides, I do have a dogdy knee and it has been doing just fine even with these squats!

Tip #5 Begin Bending at the Knee and Use A Full-Range of Motion

Begin the movement by bending at the knees, which should track in a line close to the border of the first and the second toe. You want to achieve a full-range of motion, which puts emphasis on maximum knee flexion, resulting in the knees traveling past the toes. This technique is perfectly safe for the healthy knee.

Ten Tips for A Better Back Squat: A Start-To-Finish Guide

That's a high bar back squat, so there are some subtle differences there for anyone trying to take all this in. Also he wants you to exhale coming up which I (and others) disagree with.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by inesenite View Post
    I would go with the ones who say don't worry, as long as your squat form is good. I get comments from trainers and other customers at the gym when I squat - "nooo, don't do that, your knees go past your toes!". However, that's how my brilliant trainer, who is a trainee or Charles Poliquin, taught me to squat. "A** to Grass", full fange, knees in front of toes. Besides, I do have a dogdy knee and it has been doing just fine even with these squats!

Tip #5 Begin Bending at the Knee and Use A Full-Range of Motion

Begin the movement by bending at the knees, which should track in a line close to the border of the first and the second toe. You want to achieve a full-range of motion, which puts emphasis on maximum knee flexion, resulting in the knees traveling past the toes. This technique is perfectly safe for the healthy knee.

Ten Tips for A Better Back Squat: A Start-To-Finish Guide
    +1 .

Squats are a knee dominant exercise. They are meant to focus on knee extension, hence quadricep contraction.

As for breathing, you should always be breathing out on the concentric movement. In other words when you are fighting gravity (so on the way back up to standing).

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Will View Post
    As for breathing, you should always be breathing out on the concentric movement. In other words when you are fighting gravity (so on the way back up to standing).
    So you recommend reducing intrathoracic pressure, which stabilizes the lower back?
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    I actually recommend the valsalva breath which stablizes in the lowest position then expresses the breath and increases intra-abdominal pressure through out the concentric movement. But thats just me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast