Thread: homemade nut milks. ratio of water to amount of nuts? page

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member

homemade nut milks. ratio of water to amount of nuts?

Shop Now
    Does it matter how much water goes in?

I'm going to make some almond milk and if it goes well I have cashews and Mac nuts to try as well. I was wondering if anyone has found a magic formula for this so I don't screw it up.

Also how long will homemade nut milk last. I might have to look into small batches if it won't last that long as I don't use/drink anything but water all that often. And can almond with skin be used or should they be skinless? And what is the best way to strain out the milk without a cheese cloth or other such apparatus?

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    1 part nuts to 3 or 4 parts water, depending on how ''creamy'' you want the milk

you can use almonds with skins. the easiest way to strain, unfortunately, is with cheesecloth or a paint-strainer bag. Little colanders get clogged too easily. it's doable, but a pain. and more messy!

and also, i'm sure you've heard this, but soak your almonds first overnight or for at least 4-6 hours.

should last a few days, maybe 3-4
    Last edited by JennaRose; 06-28-2012 at 03:14 PM.

rhiarti is offline Member
    I use roughly two cups of almonds (I don't pre-soak them, though that is generally recommended) and four of water. The longer you blend them, the creamier the "milk" comes out. As JennaRose says, it should last 3-4 days at least. Make sure your straining cloth and storage container are properly sterile, and it should last for longer.

It's a bit of a faff, but so delicious, it's totally worth it!