Thread: Creatine and Glutamine for women? page

Solarris is offline Junior Member

Creatine and Glutamine for women?

Primal Fuel
    I have been having problems for the past few years with shoulder pain, especially at night while trying to sleep. I either find myself waking up on my side with my shoulder hurting really bad or with both my arms above my head and both of my shoulders hurting and finding it very difficult to lower my arms because of the pain. My husband has suggested I try using creatine and glutamine to help with the pain. He says that once he started using them his joint pains went away. My question is are these really safe for women to use? Also, I'm not really on any consistant excersize program so could that cause problems with taking them as well?

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I'm interested in the answers here as I've heard mixed reports about the overall benefits of Creatine.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    First, I'm a guy but here'smy two cents...

It's generally regarded that creatine/glutamine are pretty safe for anyone to take. Creatine monohydrate is the one supplement that actually has real evidence for increasing strength paired with strength training. Glutamine is usually taken for recovery and there are mixed reviews whether or not it is effective.

A couple things about creatine:
    can cause some water retention.
    can cause stomach bloating/gas/diarrhea (usualyl this happens when you initially take it and it subsides)

Don't waste your money on any other creatine besides monohydrate. And the whole "loading" phase that all manufactures suggest is pointless. If you're going to take it, just stick to the daily dose. Usually pre and post workout.

If you plan on trying it, I would start with creatine and see how you feel.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Nothing against creatine, everything up above is good. But I don't see how creatine would help with your joint pain, muscle development sure.

If you're having joint pain serious enough to wake you at night, you should probably see a doc and get it checked out. Obviously not life threatening, but might be something you can fix and improve your quality of life.

Regarding gender, I don't see any significant difference in those supplements between genders.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Solarris View Post
    I have been having problems for the past few years with shoulder pain, especially at night while trying to sleep. I either find myself waking up on my side with my shoulder hurting really bad or with both my arms above my head and both of my shoulders hurting and finding it very difficult to lower my arms because of the pain. My husband has suggested I try using creatine and glutamine to help with the pain. He says that once he started using them his joint pains went away. My question is are these really safe for women to use? Also, I'm not really on any consistant excersize program so could that cause problems with taking them as well?
    Forget what your husband said at the moment and get it checked out. It could be anything. I don't see how creatine and glutamine is going to help your current issues since you have been having it for a while. Maybe you need a deep tissue massage?

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    Nothing against creatine, everything up above is good. But I don't see how creatine would help with your joint pain, muscle development sure.

If you're having joint pain serious enough to wake you at night, you should probably see a doc and get it checked out. Obviously not life threatening, but might be something you can fix and improve your quality of life.

Regarding gender, I don't see any significant difference in those supplements between genders.
    yeah..definitely what he said

i'm thinking you meant to type glucosamine and chondroitin maybe?

vrodmuscle is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Adding to the discussion...

Creatine thus far seems harmless according to studies and meta studies conducted. That being said it will be of no benefit to your shoulder pain. Glutamine is still the subject of some debate in terms of its efficacy.

I would suggest lowering your weight, increasing reps and avoid exercises such as flat bench press or dips that may put extra strain on the joint. In addition, supplementing with fish oil is beneficial in my experience (Ive had LOTS of injuries when younger)
    My Youtube Health and Fitness Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/dcdhealthfitness

Will be making more videos weekly.