Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So I Can Eat a Lot of Fat and Still Lose Fat? page

DareP is offline Junior Member

So I Can Eat a Lot of Fat and Still Lose Fat?

Primal Fuel
    Hey Guys,

So I've read The Paleo Diet and read Primal Blueprint as well. One of the core differences seems to be between saturated fats - That Primal advocates eating fats, while Paleo only recommends eating lean meats.

I'm at a bit of a loss here. My primary goal is to get visible six pack abs. I'm relatively slender already, but I can tell I still have a lot of fat left. (I'm a "skinny fat person" so to speak.) So my goal is really to burn enough fat that my abdominal muscles are visible while working out to build my overall physique.

That said, it seems counter productive to me to *eat fat* while trying to lose fat. On the other hand, trying the Paleo diet strictly ... well ... Just isn't as fun as the Primal diet. I like my chicken wings with skin on it and I like my pork ribs. Chicken breast just tastes dry to me. Bottom line, I just like the Primal diet better, in terms of taste.

So, I just want to ask - Is Mark essentially saying that yes, I can indeed eat fatty meats (that even have visible fats) and still lose fat, as long as I'm working out regularly and not eating carbs?
    Last edited by DareP; 06-28-2012 at 10:04 AM.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    You can lose weight on anything if you're on a deficit. Eating more fat and less carbs probably helps control hunger
    Billie trips balls

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Yes.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    To see your abs you will most likely have to lower your fat intake and play with macros after you stall at 12-15% BF% to get down to under 10% BF% (assuming you are a male). It doesn't happen to everyone, but most people can reach normal weight on Primal, but have to switch to Paleo or alternative to reach and maintain sub-average body fat.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DareP View Post
    That said, it seems counter productive to me to *eat fat* while trying to lose fat.
    Fat is the main energy storage medium for the body. If you want to convince it to burn off its energy stores, you better convince it that a steady stream of replacements is will be provided.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I found that Marks recommendations to eat a fair amount of fat worked great for getting me from overweight to normal weight. Eating nutrient dense primal foods with plenty of fat controls my appetite very nicely so I no longer feel the need to overeat.

Basic primal, as recommended by Mark, works great for many,many people. Just give it a try.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    You can lose weight on anything if you're on a deficit. Eating more fat and less carbs probably helps control hunger
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Yes.
    So, I just want to ask - Is Mark essentially saying that yes, I can indeed eat fatty meats (that even have visible fats) and still lose fat, as long as I'm working out regularly and not eating carbs?
    Yes he is with a modification to your top statement. Yes, eat your fatty meats (with visible fat) and even fry it in some fat such as duck fat, tallow, butter (if you're eating dairy), bacon fat (if that's your thing - it's definitely my thing). The modification I'd like to make in your statement is the not eating carbs part. This is untrue. You are eating carbs, but they are coming from vegetable sources and if you're really active, throw some tubers in there (and some fruit if you want). Essentially you are avoiding grains, flours, processed foods, etc.

I tell you, this Primal eating really does work. In 45 days, I've lost 15 lbs and 13.5 inches (no effort at all). The only exercise I've done is basically walking (some random air squats shoved in there - workouts being added in a couple days) and I eat LOTS of fat. It's actually my favourite part! Well, that and the protein.

Hopefully others will also be able to provide more info when it comes to really leaning out, cause I still have a long way to go until that point.

Cheers (and welcome)
    Jennifer
    Last edited by Metric; 06-28-2012 at 10:22 AM.

SonGoku is offline Junior Member
    Exactly what Gadsie said.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    To see your abs you will most likely have to lower your fat intake and play with macros after you stall at 12-15% BF% to get down to under 10% BF% (assuming you are a male).
    If anything it's the other way around, replacing more carbs with fat gets your BF lower.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So I've read The Paleo Diet and read Primal Blueprint as well. One of the core differences seems to be between saturated fats - That Primal advocates eating fats, while Paleo only recommends eating lean meats.
    Really they are pretty close, just Paleo emphasizes more on the non-grass fed beef needs to be lean, PB says the same just less often.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast