Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reading Weston Price's Nutrition and Physical Degeneration...DAYUM! page

ArrGee is offline Member

Reading Weston Price's Nutrition and Physical Degeneration...DAYUM!

I may be way behind the curve here, but I'm just getting around to reading this gem. I'm not finished yet, but what I've read so far is very interesting, and frankly, enraging. This guy was telling folk back in 1939: "Look, we eat absolute crap nowadays, and it's degenerating our bodies and our children's bodies. Check out what isolated people who eat real food look like." Fast forward 73 years later, we're still eating crap, and our collective gene pool is weaker, except nobody realizes it beacuse physical and mental illness/degeneration is the new "normal".

Price, and others like him, seem to me like the Nikola Teslas of nutrition - unsung, and way ahead of their time

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrGee View Post
    I may be way behind the curve here, but I'm just getting around to reading this gem. I'm not finished yet, but what I've read so far is very interesting, and frankly, enraging. This guy was telling folk back in 1939: "Look, we eat absolute crap nowadays, and it's degenerating our bodies and our children's bodies. Check out what isolated people who eat real food look like." Fast forward 73 years later, we're still eating crap, and our collective gene pool is weaker, except nobody realizes it beacuse physical and mental illness/degeneration is the new "normal".

Price, and others like him, seem to me like the Nikola Teslas of nutrition - unsung, and way ahead of their time
    I was just recommened this book yesterday actually, and I really want to read it now.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrGee View Post
    ... what I've read so far is very interesting, and frankly, enraging.
    I know exactly what you mean. I felt just the same.

It's culpable ignorance on the part of all the people whose professional business it was to know about nutrition, and who should, consequently, have known about, read, and thought about that book.

Some of it is outdated. For example, Price didn't realize just how bad cereal grains can be. The isolated populations Price came across (e.g. the Swiss, Hebridean Islanders) who were eating them who were doing OK had diets that were otherwise extremely nutrient-rich. And this was in the days before the plant-breeders really got going, as detailed by Dr. William Davis in Wheat Belly. But the general thrust of the book is right on target, and the photographs and case-histories compelling.

Yes, enraging. How many unnecessary dental fillings over the last three-quarters of a century just for a start? It must run into the millions. Price knew, and told, how to stop them dead just with diet.

Anyone who wants to read it online, there's a version here:

Weston Price: Nutrition and Physical Degeneration; Table of Contents

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Anyone who wants to read it online, there's a version here:

Weston Price: Nutrition and Physical Degeneration; Table of Contents
    awesome!!!!!!!!!!! thank you!

earthspirit is offline Senior Member
    wow thanks for the link! i actually havent heard of this book, but i am familiar with WAP (i hope most of us on this forum are!). i agree with the nikola tesla sentiment.

Wrenwood is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by earthspirit View Post
    wow thanks for the link! i actually havent heard of this book, but i am familiar with WAP (i hope most of us on this forum are!). i agree with the nikola tesla sentiment.
    Yes, thanks very much and agreed!
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57034.html

"...since our orthodox theories have not saved us we may have to readjust them to bring them into harmony with Nature's laws. Nature must be obeyed, not orthodoxy." Weston A. Price

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by earthspirit View Post
    You mean it's generally good, with some real fruit-loop stuff that means it's opponents can effortlessly discredit it? (*cough* Homeopathy *cough*) Yes, that's WAP.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

IdeNoreen is offline Junior Member
    i actually havent heard of this book

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    You mean it's generally good, with some real fruit-loop stuff that means it's opponents can effortlessly discredit it? (*cough* Homeopathy *cough*) Yes, that's WAP.
    I'm sorry you're stating that Nutrition and Physical Degeneration is a book by an eccentric?

This book was written by the head of the American Dental Association's research unit. The forward to the book is by the Professor of Anthropology of the day at Harvard University. The book was used as a teaching text for anthropology students at Harvard for years.

There may be "opponents" of the book for all I know, but whether you and they consider that that they can "effortlessly discredit it" is really neither here nor there. There are plenty of people on the internet who consider that they can "effortlessly discredit" the theory of natural selection, for example, or any number of other things. Doesn't mean that in truth they can.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Merl, I couldn't resist this...

(*cough* homeopathy often works *cough* don't knock it until you have tried it *cough*)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast