Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: TorMag’s Primal Journey page 6

KimT is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Congrats on the oh-so-close goal! That's fantastic!

So I guess my suggestions for the beach workout were unnecessary due to your past accomplishments! Sounds like you are/were quite the athlete. Would love to hear the stories too.

I can picture your proper tossing technique as you hurl a bell down the beach. I've tried it, it wasn't pretty, nor did it go very far!

Congrats again!

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the props.....

Ok, here is the story. In high school, I was an exchange student. I lived a year in Argentina. BTW, when I was there (1981), Argentina diet was very Paleo like. I left the US weighing 250 + lbs, came back to the US a year later weighing 185, I ate like a pig down there. The diet was very centered around beef and everything came from the farmers market on a daily basis. However there was bread and Soda involved. But still nothing processed and fresh of the farm.

Anyway, the year went from February to February so I was coming back just in time for Track season my senior year of high school. I wanted to be ready so I found a sports store in Santiago Del Estero (the town I lived in) that had a discus and bought it. Found a rundown track that had both a discus and shot put rings and started practicing. Since the discus was my main event, I was only really concerned about practicing the discus. The track was in really bad shape, dirt, with weeds and such… So I had been throwing for a couple of weeks (I got really good counting in Spanish, because I would pace of my throws and only count in Spanish), when I went out one day to practice and there were people there cleaning up the track, till that point, no one had been there….

I asked somebody what they were doing and they told me that the Provincial Track Meet was that weekend. Everybody in the City knew that I was the Yankee. Another person said that since I was going to school there I could compete. If I won, I would get to represent the Province and the National Championships in Mar Del Plata, as beach resort town near Buenos Aries. I showed up that Saturday and won both the discus and shot put events. The Nationals were in like two months, so I got to train. It spread through the city that I had won, and an owner of a gym let me hit the weights.

Two months later, hoped on a bus with a bunch of other teenagers and headed off to Mar del Plata for two weeks. The cool thing was that the Nationals were not just for track and field, but for every sport. It was like going to the Olympics even with an opening ceremony in a large futbol stadium. All the athletes stay in the dorms at a college right on the beach. When you were not competing, you got to go watch other events at venues all over town.

When it came time for my competition, I was towards the end of the pack in throw order in the discus. We got three throws, in the US, you get five throws in high school. My first throw was a good 20 feet further than the leader’s mark, but I threw the discus out of bounds, something I never did, I did the same thing with my second throw. So for my last throw, I took some of “it” off the throw and placed fourth in the event. In the shot put, I placed 13th.

It was a wonderful experience, something I will never forget.
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

KimT is offline Senior Member
    That is awesome! What a great experience and great story! Thank you for sharing.

I played sports in school, but didn't have any great things like you happen. My greatest experiences have been as an adult going to Thailand to train in Muay Thai and ranking and medalling in kettlebell competitions. Lately I'm just struggling with training and eating altogether.

Anyway, thanks for sharing the story and your journal. I will be checking on your progress.

That's awesome! I would never have the nerve to be an exchange student, much less any of the other things you mentioned.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Quote Originally Posted by KimT View Post
    That is awesome! What a great experience and great story! Thank you for sharing.

I played sports in school, but didn't have any great things like you happen. My greatest experiences have been as an adult going to Thailand to train in Muay Thai and ranking and medalling in kettlebell competitions. Lately I'm just struggling with training and eating altogether.

Anyway, thanks for sharing the story and your journal. I will be checking on your progress.
    Kim, going to Thailand to train Muay Thai, that is just as cool. Something I would have really dug.... And Medalling in Kettlebell competitions, how cool is that?

My Journal
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by justyouraveragecavemen View Post
    That's awesome! I would never have the nerve to be an exchange student, much less any of the other things you mentioned.
    Dude! What up? Who is going to win the SEC title this year? Season is almost upon us. Roll Tide.

My Journal
    My Journal

Picked up a second 16 Kg bell yesterday and finally did Cotter's upper body Kettlebell workout from his Extreme Kettlebell work out DVD's, doing it with two matching bells is much more fun, but it really kicks butt. I have been hitting the gym a lot lately, doing mostly dumbbell stuff. But doing an upper body workout with bells made me sweat so much more. The work out looks something like this, with no rest between each exercise.

1. Ten lying floor presses, bell in each hand.
    2. Double Bell bent over rows five each side (yes gripping two bells in one hand)
    3. Bottom up cleans 5 each side
    4. Alternating millitary press 5 each side.
    5. Seated one arm snatch 5 each side
    6. Seated two bell cleans 5
    7. Double bell swings 5
    8. Lying extended pullover single bell 10 reps.

Rest 1 minute, rinse and repete. You do three sets of this. In the end, I am just covered in sweat..... It is a great workout.

My Journal
    My Journal

So back in May, I decided to give myself a 12 week challenge that would end at my 25th anniversary. My goal was to get down to 275 by my anniversary. I did not make, but got so close. I started at 318.5 and ended at 277. I have one of those electric hand held body fat monitors and meassured myself once a week at the same time (I know they are not accurate, but it was a guage). So according to my calculations.

1. I lost 41.5 lbs
    2. My body fat went from 29.10 % to 25.20%, that was a 3.9% body fat loss
    3. According to the math, I lost 22.88 lbs of fat and 18.62 lbs of lean body mass

My next goal is to get to 15% body fat, right now with my current body comp, that will put me at 243 lbs, not a bad weight to be at for my body type.....

I am going to give myself another 12 week challengee starting Monday, August 20th thru November 5th. My goal here will be under 18% body fat.... Is that too aggressive?

My Journal
    My Journal

Oh yeah, forgot to add that yesterday found the coolest thing on earh. BACON JERKY!!!!!!!! That is right, two of the worlds best things rolled into one....

My Journal
    My Journal

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by TorMag View Post
    Dude! What up? Who is going to win the SEC title this year? Season is almost upon us. Roll Tide.
    Well you know what I'm going to say...Roll Tide. Why did I think you were an Auburn fan?? Anyway, the higher-ups have got Georgia and LSU in ATL; but here's my issue with that:LSU has said they're going to rely heavily on the pass because that's what their strength is, in regards to receivers vs. RBs. Does that work well in the West? Plus they got a first year starting QB. Bama won 2 natty's with 1st year starting QBs but they also had those 2 RBs in New York for the Heisman ceremony, amiright? In my humble opinion, LSU can't win the west with a new QB if they rely on the passing game first.
    Regardless of who wins the East (most likely Georgia) they'll get killed in ATL.
    And since I'm on a roll the Honey Badger is an awesome punt returner and ball hawk, he can make plays on the ball and strip or knock it loose...however, he will never be in the same league as Mo Claiborne as a man-on-man back, that fact was shown in NOLA last January.
    And 18% BF is not too aggressive, I don't think. You've just got to realize that the next 7ish won't be as easy to lose as the last 7ish. But if you can make it through that kettlebell workout below I think you can do.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast