Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Viking Warrior conditioning - Kettlebells - logging progress page

fat belly frog is offline Senior Member

Viking Warrior conditioning - Kettlebells - logging progress

Shop Now
    Reading a few of the other KB posts, seems like there are a few of us doing the VWC 15:15 protocol. Which is a snatching a KB for 15 sec then 15 sec rest repeating for 80 sets (40 mins). Reps for the 15 secs are based on a VO2 threshold which are about 7-8 typ. Weight recomended is 16kgs for the boys and 10-12 kgs for the lady's.

I have started this last night and am looking at using it as part of my training program for a sprint style adventure race coming up in November. I downloaded a HIT counter app for the smart phone and created a starting program spliting it into 4 min blocks with a 30 sec rest between blocks and did 7 blocks (~ 32min workout with rests)

Plan is to do this start up program twice per week slowly dropping the rest periods out between blocks and increasing sets to 80. I also have started on a 12kg bell as I only have a 12 and 25kg and thats too much to snatch (to start with). Will buy a 16kg bell in the next week or so. I also did a 4 min block of swings (25kg) to start and finish the VWC protocole along with some other low inpact KB movements.

Anyway I thought I would log how I am going over the next month and welcome any input/critic. My bench mark is a 6km run in 36 mins ( not a startling pace) that I want to get to sub 30mins after 4 weeks

Day One VWC
    25kg swings 15:15 - 4 mins - 45 sec rest then VWC
    12kg snatch 15:15 4min sets 30 sec rest 7 sets completed (392 snatchs completed)
    25kg swings 15:15 - 4 mins
    12kg lateral swings, woodcutters and figure 8's to cool down ~ 5 mins
    (Feeling good after this not sore the next day and got a great sweat up, Heart rate up to ~ 160 during session)

Cheers
    "Times fun when you are having Flies" Kermit the frog

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    Big high five for you. It is a fun intense workout. I am currently doing 20 minutes, in 5 minutes blocks with a buck 30 in between, with a 25 lb/12 kg bell. Doing them twice a week. Dropping 15 secs on the rest each time. Once I get to 20 minutes without rest, I'll start adding 5 minutes blocks when I can keep my rate at 8 per 15 secs until I work up to the 40 minutes. Man, I have never sweated so much when working out, drenched when I am done, but as I said in the other thread, I am dropping weight quickly. 6 lbs this past week.
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

Forgot to ask, how are your hands? I was doing them wrong at first and shreaded my hands..... Finally got the grip down after searching the net for awhile.....

My Journal
    My Journal

Leida is offline Senior Member
    That's an exceedingly cool workout!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

I am not sure if it's a cool workout as I get a great sweat up It sure is a fun High Intensity workout, not sure how long it will stay interesting but its a great way to get the heart rate up and do weights.

Hands are ok, I paddle a standup surf board and surf ski a bit so use to using my hands. Having been banging the back of the wrists/forearms but changed the technique slightly, I was swinging the KB more than high pulling it
    Last edited by fat belly frog; 06-29-2012 at 03:43 AM.

Ok Tonight was what I think is called the KB 300 workout - It consisted of 100 swings followed by 5 turkish get ups each side - repeat three times. rest as required anytime during workout (total workout is 300 swings and 15 TGU each arm)

Set 1 and 2 - 50 swings with the 25kg bell 50 swings with the 12kg, 10 TGU (5 each side) with the 12kg
    Set 3 -25 swings with the 25kg rest with the 12kg, 10 TGU (5 each side) with the 12kg
    Time 29mins to complete the 3 sets (thats now my time to beat)

Feeling shattered, arms are toast, still shaking 20 mins later. Its a way bigger/harder aerobic work out than the VCW 15:15. Have a feeeling I am going to feel sore for the next couple of days

Had a day off work today and this morning walked 5kms and then had a surf (short board for 2.5 hrs) so arms/shoulders were a bit worked before the workout, whichs is why I wasnt swinging the 25kg as well as I was a couple of days ago on the VWC. However I am enjoying the Hard HI KB workouts, feeling alive.... Have a beef rendang curry on the stove cant wait to hook into that in another hour or so.

Also found this post from a couple of years ago, Godzilas workouts on page 2 should keep me going for awhile.....
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread7238-2.html

Cheers
    Last edited by fat belly frog; 06-29-2012 at 07:47 AM.

Day two of the VWC
    Felt good so decide to see how many rounds i could compete of the VWC 15:15 protocol. Surprised myself and completed the 80 rounds of VWC 15:15 using the 12kg bell, no rest period outside the 15 sec . 40 mins of snatches averaging 7 snatches per 15 secs (560 reps) heart rate approx 136 (finger on the neck method....). Didn't feel as intense as the 100 swings followed by 5 TGU x 3 workout I did the other night. Time to move up to the 16kg bell.

Great weekend here mid winter but still 20 degree (celsius) sun filled days, Had a 2.5 hour surf Yesterday followed by a hard and fast nighttime bike ride of 1 hr. Today was a slow 12 km bike ride with the kids and slow 1hr surf ski paddle with the oldest daughter prior to the 40 mins of snatches.

Cheers
    Last edited by fat belly frog; 07-01-2012 at 04:39 AM.

You my friend are a stud.

My Journal
    My Journal

Thanks TorMag,
    Felt great to do the 80 rounds. Went and checked KB's out at the local vitamin warehouse and they are about 1/2 the price of the Dragon Door bells, rubber coated and steel construction so will pick a couple of 16kgs , or a 16 and 20kg bell up this weekend.

Had real bad cramps in the abductors last night, not sure if it was from the VWC workout or the ski paddle, banged down a handful of magnesium tablets and that helped heaps. Today was an active rest day so tonight I did the following light weight bodyweight/joint mobility warm up routines to get the blood flowing.

These are from the my mad methods site.
    My Mad Methods - 8 Fine Exercises Warm Up for Relaxing, Recovery & Restoration
    My Mad Methods - 100 Rep Bodyweight Warm Up #1
    My Mad Methods - 100 Rep Bodyweight Warm Up #2

Cheers FBF
    Last edited by fat belly frog; 07-02-2012 at 07:21 AM.

Blue skis and loads of sunshine, way to nice to be inside doing a yoga workout which was the plan for lunch time. So instead I did this:

Jog 1km to local park next to work
    10 x ~75m sprints (15m rolling start 50 meters full out 10m slow down) walk back between
    30 mins of your are your own gym (YAYOG) Leg work out Ladders*
    -36 reps of back lunges (each leg)
    -27 reps of one legged Romanian Dead lifts (each leg)
    -70 squats
    -40 Bird dogs (each side)
    Jog back to office

* Ladders consist of increasing reps (pyrmids) 1 by 1 up to/just before failure then back down, rest period between reps is the sames as the workout time. For example 1 squat rest then 2, 3, 4 etc.

Cheers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast