Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Viking Warrior conditioning - Kettlebells - logging progress page 3

primalclubber is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by fat belly frog View Post
    Thanks Jeff,

Yep I agree the 7 rep cadence is about right, I pushed up to 8 reps a few times but my form goes out the door. Time for me to get the 16kg bell. As an ex Kiwi rugby playing farm boy I could do with loosing a bit of muscle mass/fat as I surf a lot and am training for the adventure races where a lighter strong frame will help. However I am still doing a bit of body weight and other KB routines

As for mental challenge it's all good I was swimming laps in the pool the other day and as you can guess for a surfer this is like having afternoon tea with your twice removed Aunt, all dressed up in ya best clothes and wearing shoes, boring and uncomfortable..... I was getting tried and bored doing 200m repeats but I just throught of the VWC workouts I have been doing and plugged on.
    You should stick with the 12kg until you can comfortably do 8 x 80s with good form. The trick is to actively "pull" the bell down once you hit the top of the snatch. You'll start to make intuitive adjustments to your snatch form to suit your body mechanics as you get stronger and faster. I work with an RKCII and they're not form nazi's. There are a lot of variations of snatch and swing form though certain basics are essential to prevent injury. I've done 9x90s with my 16kg with marginal form but conditioning was the goal. VWC is a great protocol but you should cycle it so you don't get burnt out. I currently work with my RKC focusing on low rep and doubles work including working with the "beast." On my own I've been playing with 30/15s and double snatch variations to keep my conditioning work under 20 minutes. I've been working with kbs for over 6 years.

fat belly frog is offline Senior Member
    Cheers primalclubber I am doing it twice a week mixed in with other training so hope I won't burn out. Using it for conditioning as well, today upped the snatch reps to 8 which made the sweat drip...

Back from work trip so back into it today was 20 sets of two handed swings with the 25kg bell then 20 sets of the 12 kg doing snatches, all on the 15:15 protocol, repeated twice. Swings feel good a couple of weeks ago struggled with 5 sets of ten swings now I can plough through 20 sets of 9-10 swings.

Cheers FBF
    Last edited by fat belly frog; 07-15-2012 at 03:48 AM.
    "Times fun when you are having Flies" Kermit the frog

Jareddame is offline Member
    Not sure if the thread is still being watched but I have been doing the VWC protocol for awhile so I thought I would share some of my thoughts.

15:15 for 80 sets @ 10 reps per 15 seems to be the magic threshold that I can't beat without my form starting to go down hill

as for

36:36 I do my with a 24kg bell and set my goal at about 18-22 (depending on how I am feeling that day) for the reps.

I have also in the 36:36 done a total of 20 reps per set with an additional 10 static pushups during the last seconds of the protocol and first seconds of the rest period while using the 16kg bell to just mix it up a bit.

cheers.

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jareddame View Post
    Not sure if the thread is still being watched but I have been doing the VWC protocol for awhile so I thought I would share some of my thoughts.

15:15 for 80 sets @ 10 reps per 15 seems to be the magic threshold that I can't beat without my form starting to go down hill

as for

36:36 I do my with a 24kg bell and set my goal at about 18-22 (depending on how I am feeling that day) for the reps.

I have also in the 36:36 done a total of 20 reps per set with an additional 10 static pushups during the last seconds of the protocol and first seconds of the rest period while using the 16kg bell to just mix it up a bit.

cheers.
    In my book, 10 reps per 15 makes you a stud. I average somewhere around 8.5. What weight are you using for that?
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

fat belly frog is offline Senior Member
    Well done with the 10 reps, I can sometimes maintain 8 reps with the 16kg bell but cant keep it up for the full 40 minutes. I am averaging 7 with the 16kg bell and 8 with the 12kg bell.

I hadnt done the VCW protocol for about 2 1/2 weeks due to a bad back but smashed out 80 rounds a couple of nights ago doing 6 rounds with the 12kg then 4 with the 16kg bell.

Results have been great I have felt a gain in fitness and strength when i do them which translates into my over sports, the HIIT nature of it helps with recovery i have noticed a big improvement in the pool with my swimming. I have also been mixing the snatch with a swing, swing for 10 minutes, snatch for 10 repeat Thats a great way to get the heart rate up and the sweat flowing.
    "Times fun when you are having Flies" Kermit the frog

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    I gave this a try, sort of. I did three sets of five minutes (10 rounds of 15:15) with 3-4 minutes between them. averaged about 7 snatches with a 16kg bell. Very tiring. I think I had one more set of 10 rounds in me, but decided not to push it on my first go. I think I"ll try to get up to 40 or 50 rounds and then start shrinking the time between sets.

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    I have been doing tabata sets (20:10) and that has been brutal but you feel great afterwards.

I use a 12KG for snatches and a 20KG for Swings/squats - i like to mix the exercises up.

Im starting to slow down now but might give this a try for overall conditioning?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123