Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Palean Eater...feeling confused. page

Arage is offline Junior Member

New Palean Eater...feeling confused.

Hello everyone. So firstly, I need some encouragement. I purchased Mark's book on Monday and started eating paleo on Tuesday. So far, no weight loss, it is Thursday. Am I supposed to notice it very quickly or does it take a couple of weeks for things to get going? Secondly, I find myself eating quite a few Brazil nuts, which are so yummy. I have them with my coffee for a snack. Is there a limit on eating nuts like this? Should I be concerned about how much protein/fat I am taking in or just eat when I am hungry and make sure it protein with some fat..for example for dinner I had a salad with tuna and because the tuna was very low in fat, I added half an avocado and some olives. It was yum! Also I've heard of people adding coconut oil to salads or just eating it off a spoon, anyone else out there doing this? Anyone out there with some good basic principles to follow, I'd be very grateful. I really only have a small about of weight to lose, about 5kg (I'm an Aussie so that's about 10pound I think) but have not been able to shift it any other way. Thanks, look forward to hearing from somebody.

Arage is offline Junior Member
    PS Just saw that I am called a junior member on this site...presumably because I am new here, I love it...at almost 40 years old I don't often get called junior these days.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    If you are trying to lose weight, there is no point to just adding fat to your diet for the sake of it.

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    Hi Arage, good to have you!

We'd need more info in order to answer your questions; gender, dietary background, relevant health history, etc.

I can say that around here, we advise noobies to give their bodies time to heal before expecting any weight loss, and to limit the nut intake until the weight's off. I do have to agree that tuna, avocado, and olive on the same fork headed straight to your mouth is the shizz!
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

Jamilyn121 is offline Senior Member
    If you have that small amount of weight to lose, it may not just melt off. People that see the difference so fast seem to generally be people that have a lot of weight to lose. If you just focus on eating clean, unprocessed foods at first, your body will start telling you what it wants. If you are starving, you may want to add a bit of fat at meals. If you start feeling as though you are gaining weight, you will possibly want to reduce carb intake, etc. First things first, you want to not worry about the specific details and just get your diet clean and give yourself some time to adjust before worrying about weight.

Also, be careful with the nuts. They are yummy but if you eat a ton you may not see weight loss like you want.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I saw no weight loss for 5 weeks. Then it all came off in about 5 months. Now I hold steady right here and make any further changes with exercise. If you are close to your goal weight, you might not lose. You might even gain. The Primal Blueprint for you then will be a health restoring thing and a muscle building thing not a weight loss thing. Take measurements and toss out your scale. Watch the fattening nuts, cheese and wine. That trips up most women.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Welcome, Arage!

Keep in mind that eating to be healthy and eating to lose weight are two separate goals. Sometimes they intersect, especially when someone has a lot of weight to lose. But especially when you're down to the 10-pounds-or-less place, those two goals might not overlap at all. If you're eating to heal your body from years of grains, PUFAs, processed foods, etc., then don't concentrate on the weight loss. If you're eating for weight loss, however, then you may need to look at calories in/calories out as well as the quality/proportion of foods you're eating. It's very possible to overeat when you're primal/paleo, especially if you've got nuts in your diet (which I can easily eat mindlessly). So for weight loss, I would recommend the following:

1. Keep track of what you're eating. Start a food journal here, or keep track elsewhere. Be honest - measure everything at first. Don't eyeball. You'd be surprised how easy it is to underestimate a serving size. Before I came to MDA, I was tracking my calories and exercise on LoseIt. I've gone back to logging there because I have an app on my phone as well as on my laptop, so it's easy for me to record on the go. You don't need to restrict calories right away; first see exactly what it is you're eating, and how much.

2. Keep nuts to a minimum. One serving size is a closed fist's worth of nuts. Many folks prefer to use nuts as a condiment instead of a snack by itself. I tend to have either a handful of raw hazelnuts or raw macadamias, or 1 - 2 tablespoons of almond butter with an apple.

3. Take vitamins. This is less about losing weight and more about feeling good -- which can help you stay focused and positive when you're eating to lose weight. I take the following daily: 1 multi for women over 40; triple strength fish oil/omega 3; 5,000 IUs of D3; B complex; max dose magnesium at night.

4. Don't drink your calories/meals. If you're drinking fruit juice, switch to whole fruit and drink water.

5. Exercise. Even though good nutrition is 80% of reaching your weight goal, there's still 20% that comes from exercise. Are you moving slowly daily, either by walking or cycling or something else? Are you lifting heavy things -- bodyweight exercises count! -- twice a week? Are you sprinting once a week? Okay, you just started TPB, so you probably haven't incorporated all of this just yet. But it really is important, especially when you're looking to lose just 10 pounds.

Another tip that works for me is to not eat after 8 pm. I tend to mindlessly binge at night while I'm watching television, so I just took that out of the equation. Now I have a cup of peppermint tea instead.

One last thing, that I'm finding from personal experience: It's better to underestimate a serving and then go back for seconds if I'm still hungry instead of overestimating a serving and eating too much because it's right there. When I have 2 eggs and 2 strips of bacon and some bell pepper and onion, I'm satisfied; if I eat 3 eggs and 3 strips of bacon, I'm still hungry after. It's weird, but there you go!

I hope this helps. Please keep in mind that everyone is different -- what works for one person might not work for another. The key is to experiment and see what works for you.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Read the book, eat like the book, train like the book. If you are in the last few pounds you really need to stop snacking, no nuts and no dairy. Get as clean as you can.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arage View Post
    I really only have a small about of weight to lose, about 5kg (I'm an Aussie so that's about 10pound I think) but have not been able to shift it any other way.
    Being an Aussie doesn't make you a bad person. I've got Orstrylean cousins.

5kgs is 11lbs and not a lot as I've lost 21lbs and still have about another 42 to go.

You've already had some good advice. My personal take is calories in must be less than calories out to lose weight. I calorie count just to be on the safe side. I am also looking to do strength training in order to build muscle as lean muscle takes calories to keep up. I have recently read Body by Science and the authors state that 1lb of muscle takes 50 calories a day to maintain it. I am in the process of joining a gym to have a go at their five basic exercises that should take me no more than 90 seconds per exercise, per session, per week.

As an aside my uncle was the champion gold panner of Oz many moons ago. We visited 10 years ago and I panned nearly three bucks worth in a day and a half!
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

fat
    fat is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Arage View Post
    Secondly, I find myself eating quite a few Brazil nuts, which are so yummy. I have them with my coffee for a snack. Is there a limit on eating nuts like this?
    Brazil nuts are extremely high in selenium. It's dangerously easy to give yourself selenium toxicity (selenosis) by eating too many of them. If you want to eat them daily, limit yourself to two or three Brazil nuts a day.

The People's Pharmacy: How Dangerous Is Brazil Nut Gluttony?

The People's Pharmacy: Brazil Nut Overdose Could Be Toxic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast