Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After an IF, is your next meal larger? page

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

I was only planning on fasting for 15 hours and breaking it with breakfast this morning, but I've decided to extend it out to a late-dinner tonight. I'm looking at what I had planned to eat, a small chicken breast and a piece of beef, and it's not going to be enough. I'm thinking about having a couple sausages too which will turn this into a medium-large meal.

How should I feel about that: bad, good, indifferent?

Thanks.

I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

KatFish is offline Junior Member

mmmmmm

To be honest I'll only add additional tasty morsels if i've fasted for an extended perior. If it's just a small fast, i'll eat the same. It really depends how I feel.

Plaid Dad is offline Junior Member

I've only been seriously IF-ing for ten days, so I'm no expert, but I eat a normal meal, wait an hour or two, and then eat more if I'm still hungry.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member

I have only done about 3x 18 hour fasts and I do the same as Plaid Dad. I have not done a longer fast, but I would think you would need a bit more than your usual sized meal? Not sure. Are you wanting to lose weight? I'll be interested to hear what others say.

Brewtality Guest

I have IF-ed for a long time, even way before going primal. I almost always only eat one meal per day on weekends. I will go all out afterwards sometimes, but others, just a light meal.

If you are really looking forward to stuffing yourself, go for it. I have never had negative side effects from it. Watch the carbs though... I threw a sweet potatoe in there yesterday, and it made me swimmy headed after so long with no food.

JohnOTD is offline Member

Speaking from experience from doing extended (multiple days) fasts for religious purposes at one point in my life:

When you're coming off of a fast, take it easy. If you gorge, you'll only make yourself feel sick. I'd say do a light meal of mostly veggies with maybe a small piece of meat. Don't eat until you're "full".

www.primalfreedom.blogspot.com

If a man has the right to self-ownership, to the control of his life, then in the real world he must also have the right to sustain his life by grappling with and transforming resources; he must be able to own the ground and the resources on which he stands and which he must use. In short, to sustain his human right. - Murray Rothbard

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member

Well, this is a pretty typical fast, just 24 hours. And I don't mean a BIG meal, just a meat plate - a small chicken breast (4oz.), a cut of beef (7oz.), and 2 large pork sausages. I mean, it's larger than my usual meal, but not a binge by any means, in my opinion at least. But I'm a big guy so maybe that's a lot of food for some of ya'll, lol.

I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

PrimalChat is offline Junior Member

We may need to know more about you, your activity level, etc. to cover a few bases.

In my case, I will eat a little more after a 24 hour fast, but I do so slowly. I've learned the body can signal when it's full a little after you eat. I'd recommend eating a normal meal, wait 30-60 minutes and if you're still feeling like you need more, then do so. Surely the fat from what you listed here will satiate you well.

Good question!

Resolve to Evolve

Jeff

Twitter: @jpickett1968

Underwaterer is offline Junior Member

I have only IF'ed for 25 hours one single time and I broke the fast with chicken breast and some veggies. Looking back, I wish I would have broken it with something like hummus and raw vegetables. I'm thinking about doing another IF soon.

Do you guys stay lightly active during your fast? Does anyone here work out during a 24h IF?

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member

Workouts during a 24hr fast for me usually consist of sprints (I try to imagine Grok roaming through the vast African plains, tracking a herd of especially clever antelope ... and then he finally sees one that's wandered a little to far... ok, getting carried away here, lol) and/or bodyweight exercises (pushups, etc).

I don't do extended cardio sessions and don't *usually* do heavy lifting sessions during 24hr fasts (for some reason I'm afraid I'll have less energy and drop the weights on myself, lol).

Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast