Thread: Is my whey protein shake prolonging the low carb flu and preventing ketosis page

Is my whey protein shake prolonging the low carb flu and preventing ketosis

Primal Fuel
    I have been using almond milk, but I ran out, and today, I used raw milk. I added 2 eggs, a banana and some frozen berries. It tasted good, but I don't want anything to slow down this process of adapting to burning fat. The low carb flu has been pretty horrible.

Any thoughts on supplementing with alpha lipoic acid to speed up ketosis?

Thanks!

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    a banana and some berries in your shake after a workout won't ruin your fat burning adaptation, fasting and keeping your carbs low on non working out days will help. I fast for 16 hours everyday ( 8 hours during sleep) and on non-lifting days I don't eat any fruit or have any carbs that aren't in veggies.

I think I can infer from your answer that, if I am not working out, a banana and berries in a whey protein shake (and maybe the whey itself) can keep me out of ketosis. I have been feeling like crap lately from low carb flu, and I don't want to prolong the misery any longer than necessary. I think I messed up by drinking this shake, especially since I used milk. Even though it was raw milk, I have read that milk causes insulin spikes.

I am seriously considering taking an alpha lipoic acid supplement. I have been reading that it can speed up ketosis and help insulin sensitivity in people with insulin resistance.