Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paula Newby-Fraser, the greatest triathlete of all time, ate paleo page

Moochy is online now Senior Member

Paula Newby-Fraser, the greatest triathlete of all time, ate paleo

Primal Fuel
    Paula Newby-Fraser ate paleo in the 80's while she was competing...how about that Durianrider?

I was listening to Jimmy Moore's podcast, he is interviewing South African professor of exercise and sports science researcher and marathon runner Professor Timothy Noakes. Noakes tells Jimmy that Fraser contacted him recently and thanked him for his advice to become fat adapted to race competitively. At the time he was coaching her he was not paleo himself but understood the concept of burning fat for fuel vs sugar. He is now 100% paleo himself and has caused quite an uproar in South Africa on his stance that carbs aren't necessarily good for people,lol.
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Moochy is online now Senior Member
    Last edited by Moochy; 06-27-2012 at 09:26 PM.
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

adolfont is offline Junior Member

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I almost bought his book a couple weeks ago- I may have to, if there's an updated version.

Also, he recommends PB by Mark Sisson in that second link.

adolfont is offline Junior Member
    I am a big fan of the "new" Tim Noakes! It was because of him that I started to pay more attention to Mark.

What am I questioning is what he said of Paula. Paula contradicted him, in part. Whe was a low-carb athlete but she used to carbo-load.

dandate2 is offline Junior Member
    Thats just funny that the closest thing to a low-carb pro-athlete still eats high carb for the event.

her tweet implies that eating low-carb is like running on an empty tank of gas.

I conject that she probably does this to live life as miserable as the final stretch of the race, sort of a psychological conditioning.

But what does that tell you about this paleo idea?

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dandate2 View Post
    Thats just funny that the closest thing to a low-carb pro-athlete still eats high carb for the event.

I conject that she probably does this to live life as miserable as the final stretch of the race, sort of a psychological conditioning.

Refilling glycogen stores does not mean you are no longer a fat-burner. Its an advantage to easily dip into fat reserves, after glycogen is depleted. Living low-carb makes it easier to do that.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moochy View Post
    Paula Newby-Fraser ate paleo in the 80's while she was competing...how about that Durianrider?
    Oh moochy, now you've done it.. Ya had to mention he who shall not be named.
    Stand by for another banana attack!!
    I guess it's been overdue and always good for a laugh :-)
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Quote Originally Posted by dandate2 View Post

What it means is that a diet which is fantastic for the masses who would never dream of doing something as (genetically and practically) unnatural as running 26+ miles without stopping may not be ideal for someone who would. It's a 99/1 proposition. I advise my patients on the basis of them being the 99% who won't. If they do want to - then I advise them that they might consider changing that approach for a period of time during the heavy training/event.

Of course, I also feel compelled to tell them that this unnatural diet (for an unnatural event) will reduce their body's ability to achieve homeostasis in all other regards.

That way they can make an educated decision..... and I can sleep at night.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    There are plenty of healthy carbs to eat if needed.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast