Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paula Newby-Fraser, the greatest triathlete of all time, ate paleo page 2

canuck416 is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Paul lives a low carb lifestyle and is highly fat adapted, but the realities of long distance competition definitely requires appropriate competition carbs and some carb loading prior to the event. She often trained in a low carb state to improve her fat adaption but in competition she used carbs in a very specific way to ensure peak performance.

canuck416 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Furst Dunaharm View Post
    What it means is that a diet which is fantastic for the masses who would never dream of doing something as (genetically and practically) unnatural as running 26+ miles without stopping may not be ideal for someone who would. It's a 99/1 proposition. I advise my patients on the basis of them being the 99% who won't. If they do want to - then I advise them that they might consider changing that approach for a period of time during the heavy training/event.

Of course, I also feel compelled to tell them that this unnatural diet (for an unnatural event) will reduce their body's ability to achieve homeostasis in all other regards.

That way they can make an educated decision..... and I can sleep at night.
    Very well stated. Great advice!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12