Thread: How to know when fat-adapted page

secret agent girl is offline Senior Member

How to know when fat-adapted

Primal Fuel
    I've been reading around on this site, and tried using the search, but I still haven't found a good description of how to know when I reach a "fat-adapted' state...what will I notice, what will I be aware of if I slip out of it, and so on.

Would some kindly soul point me in the right direction?

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Here you go -- Daily Apple blog post on the subject of being fat-adapted:

Why Fat, Not Carbs, Are the Preferred Fuel for the Human Body | Mark's Daily Apple

Notice he says:

It increases insulin sensitivity, modulates energy and mood swings, and allows for a normal and healthy drop in hunger and cravings. There is a downside, however: you can’t train long and hard day-in and day-out in the fat paradigm.
    You might notice any or all of those effects -- for example, less energy and mood swings, and fewer problems with hunger and cravings.

You might sleep better, too. And you certainly shouldn't have to wake up to eat.

If you were to buy a cheap portable glucose meter, you'd probably see your blood-sugar level was generally lower throughout the day.

And, of course, you should notice excess fat on your body reducing. If you have excess fat on your body ... well, that's stored energy. However, if you're used to eating excessive quantities of carbohydrate you can't access that energy. This is because your fat-burning enzymes get down-regulated, because you keep over-using a different pathway for your energetic purposes

It's like money locked in a safety-deposit box to which you've lost the key.

(Why the dietary "establishment" doesn't understand this I can't imagine. But they don't.)

Anyway, once you're fat-burning you are able to access that fat and burn it. So if your pants are getting looser, that's a sign, too.

secret agent girl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Are you saying you believe fat-burning and fat-adapted are the same thing?

I don't think one has to be fat-adapted to losing weight, or vice versa, for that matter. Or is that not correct?

I'm not taking insulin so have no awareness of sensitivity or not. Energy and mood about the same. Hunger and cravings have never been a problem for me. I don't train long and hard no matter what. Sleep might be a bit better. Not going to use a glucose meter. Don't seem to be losing weight.

All in all, these seem rather fuzzy criteria. That might just be the way it is. But these items aren't as helpful as I'd hoped.

Does the book have additional details/info about this specifically? If so, I'll skim through a copy.