Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Why is there such a common misconception that eggs are dairy? page 5

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    I'd love to eat a chimp steak....waiting for the day when I can go to Singapore, buy a monkey, and have his brain cooked in his head right before me shortly before I get to eat it....
    That's all well and good, but a chimpanzee isn't remotely a monkey. In other (simplified) words, we're brothers with the chimps; whereas our closest relatives that are classified as monkeys are third cousins to both of us. The chimp has precisely as much right to call you a monkey as you do him. Where's the Primal Creationist thread when we need it?

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I liked my brother's attitude when he was a vegetarian. Basically, he claimed he only ate animals he felt deserved to be eaten, so turkey was his meat of choice.
    And once again, the blinders of anthropocentrism make themselves evident.

All animals are eventually eaten, in one sense or another of the word. We all deserve it.

Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    OMG Another Mississauga citizen?! You gotta be kidding me!
    West siiiiiiiiiiiiiiide, represent! Or whatever the kids say now. You know these kids nowadays, with their radios and their pants real low and whatnot.

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by earthspirit View Post
    I feel bad for everything I eat too. Especially when I eat some fruit with a seed. Poor little baby plant never stood a chance...Thus this is the circle of life. Eat and be eaten. It's our turn to do the eating.
    I started saving the seeds, anything from cherries to pumpkin. I just turned my back lawn into a giant mudpit that will turn into a huge garden next spring.
    I'm planning on setting all my collected seeds free.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    And once again, the blinders of anthropocentrism make themselves evident.

All animals are eventually eaten, in one sense or another of the word. We all deserve it.
    Dude, it was a joke on his part based on his experience volunteering on an organic turkey farm. You know, humour?

And do you mean anthropocentrism or anthropomorphism?

I have no problem with anthropocentrism--in terms of evolutionary success, it makes sense to prioritize one's own species. That doesn't mean we shouldn't have an ethical approach to our world (after all, if we destroy it we're kind of screwed), but I am going to put a human ahead of a pig.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Dude, it was a joke on his part based on his experience volunteering on an organic turkey farm. You know, humour?

And do you mean anthropocentrism or anthropomorphism?

I have no problem with anthropocentrism--in terms of evolutionary success, it makes sense to prioritize one's own species. That doesn't mean we shouldn't have an ethical approach to our world (after all, if we destroy it we're kind of screwed), but I am going to put a human ahead of a pig.
    Actually, evolutionary success is based on the individual's prioritization of himself, not of his species. Even animals like insects that don't reproduce individually actually tend to work to maximize the benefit of their genetic material.

And you missed my point entirely (hence the confusion about whether I had the correct word, which I did). Of course you identify with another human more greatly than you would a pig. That doesn't actually imply that the world belongs to humans, and that the pigs (and forests and lakes and oceans) were just put here for our use.

The idea that an animal is better off "uneaten" because we don't sell it in boneless, skinless chunks, plastic-wrapped on a little styrofoam tray in the grocery store reveals how far we've been blinded by our anthropocentric views of the universe. My point is that it's more honest to remember that we are all fed until we are fed upon. In other words, righteous vegetarianism is a lie.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Anthropocentrism does not necessarily mean one believes the world was created for humans or belongs to them, it means being oriented toward the well-being of humans ahead of that of other species. This does not mean one cannot think ethically about the world or that one necessarily thinks that humans are not animals; it means that one thinks that humans are more important to humans than other species. The argument against anthropocentrism is actually a primary point of a lot of hardline environmentalists who think we should not prioritize human needs, something I think is ridiculous and with which you seem to agree when you recognize that humans identify more with each other than with pigs. The anti-anthropocentrist view would state that it's wrong to do so since a human and a pig should be of equal importance.

Also, more contemporary evolutionary theory considers the success of an entire species as also being a priority in our behaviour, not just the individual. This is particularly important in social species such as humans. Altruistic behaviour is an example of how we will support the success and survival of other members of our species, even when they are not close genetic relatives.

And when the hell did I argue in favour of ethical vegetarianism? I believe in making ethical food choices (minimizing the suffering of the animals I eat, for example), but I still think it's okay to eat them. We're an omnivorous species, and to try to somehow separate ourselves from that biological reality is denying the fact that we are a kind of animal that is evolved to eat and be eaten.

Jeebus. I share a stupid joke my (now formerly) vegetarian brother made about how he hates turkeys and is okay with eating them, and you assume this means I'm a creationist who believes in ethical vegetarianism.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Jeebus. I share a stupid joke my (now formerly) vegetarian brother made about how he hates turkeys and is okay with eating them, and you assume this means I'm a creationist who believes in ethical vegetarianism.
    Ignoring the first bit because it's too long and just argumentative. I wasn't trying to start an argument. I was pointing out how stupid it is to think you're being mean to animals you don't like by eating them. And that such a misconception is borne of a human-centric (anthropocentric) worldview that makes us miss the fact that the world is something we belong to, rather than the other way around.

That radicals bastardize a word doesn't change its meaning.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Our behaviour is programmed to protect our selfish genes. This explains the rarity of cannibalism. I believe it also explains a greater readiness to eat less closely related species, which also just happens to confer the survival advantage of reducing the risk of infection from pathogens and parasites.

I believe that an ethically farmed fish lives a more natural life than a farmed mammal. I identify far more with rabbits and penguins than I do fish - sorry about that! But I'd like fish to have happy lives too :-)
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

JBailey is offline Senior Member
    Now that I'm primal, I realized many of the veggies I grow are too starchy for everyday use. I have what will hopefully be hundreds of pounds of potatoes, over a thousand pounds of squash, beets, rutabagas & parsnips, and a biggish corn patch growing, all planned & planted before going primal.

What to do, what to do?
    Feed them to my hens & pigs, then eat eggs & pork all year!
    I mostly eat critters I've raised myself, and only homegrown eggs, so I get the benefit of all that produce one way or another, and the critters get better food than most people.

I was on a debate panel with a vegan friend. Her reponse to concerns over meat ethicality was to chuck it all. My response was to grow my own. Strange.... And I still barely restrain myself from screaming 'what about those poor living plants you ruthlessly murder???'

But yeah, I'm also on the pissed off side of the continuum about the vege-wiggler terminology. Meat is all animal flesh. Eggs are hen babies in a nice package. Dairy is mammal-squeezins (I should know, having my own milk cow for a while).
    Seven Trees Farm - diversified subsistence farming on 1.25 acres.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast