Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too much protein? page

brahnamin is offline Senior Member

Too much protein?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Is there such thing as too much protein? Does gluconeogenesis only kick in in when there is a shortage of carbs, or does it also happen when your body gets too much protein and cannot utilize it all as amino acids?

Particularly curious if there is a recommended grams of protein per lb/lean muscle for someone who is stuck in sedentary mode (such as during a long recovery where even light walking is out of the question).

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I'm no genius, but I'd definitely think reducing protein intake would be wise if sedentary. Depending on your lean mass and weight, you'd probably need half what you would if active. I mean, half of all macros! If you burn 3500 calories walking around, and only 1700 calories sitting in a chair, then eating less makes a whole lot of sense.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Paleobird Guest
    Even if you are not running sprints right now, your body still needs protein when in healing mode to repair damaged tissues etc.
    I think knifegill is right about just bringing the overall quantity of food down but keeping the ratios about the same.
    What are you recovering from? I'm concerned for your welfare not just nosey.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    From what I have read, too much protein is only an issue if you have kidney problems. If not it shouldn't cause problems. How much protein are you really eating that you think it could be a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Even if you are not running sprints right now, your body still needs protein when in healing mode to repair damaged tissues etc.
    I think knifegill is right about just bringing the overall quantity of food down but keeping the ratios about the same.
    What are you recovering from? I'm concerned for your welfare not just nosey.
    I had three major strokes this winter. Entirely lost the use of the right side of my body. Prior to the stroke I had lost some 50 odd pounds and dropped 6 pants sizes on primal.

During my initial recovery I put almost all that weight back on in two months continuing my regular primal eating habits (sadly -yes - at roughly the same calorie count I was used to when active). Then, as I began to actually recover and was able get around a bit again, I ended up dropping 30 of those regained pounds.

Doc scolded me when she found out how I did it . . . but I mean this in the nicest way possible when I say, Fuck her. I recovered some six months faster than her earliest prediction and regained the full use of everything when everyone from the neurosurgeon to my physical therapists warned me I probably never would.

So it's a quiet little irony that I manage to throw my back out at work this week and just don't want to have another weight gain relapse while I can't get around.

And for any primal haters listening in, no, living primal didn't cause my stroke. Uncontrolled high blood pressure coupled with a decade of plaque damage leftover from my diabetes caused the strokes. Diabetes has been under control since I first went primal but the damage was done. BP is now finally under control with a cocktail of pills I hope to be able to get off of whenever I finally reach my goal weight.
    Last edited by brahnamin; 06-27-2012 at 03:14 PM.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brahnamin View Post
    I had three major strokes this winter. Entirely lost the use of the right side of my body. Prior to the stroke I had lost some 50 odd pounds and dropped 6 pants sizes on primal.

During my initial recovery I put almost all that weight back on in two months continuing my regular primal eating habits (sadly -yes - at roughly the same calorie count I was used to when active). Then, as I began to actually recover and was able get around a bit again, I ended up dropping 30 of those regained pounds.

Doc scolded me when she found out how I did it . . . but I mean this in the nicest way possible when I say, Fuck her. I recovered some six months faster than her earliest prediction and regained the full use of everything when everyone from the neurosurgeon to my physical therapists warned me I probably never would.

So it's a quiet little irony that I manage to throw my back out at work this week and just don't want to have another weight gain relapse while I can't get around.

And for any primal haters listening in, no, living primal didn't cause my stroke. Uncontrolled high blood pressure coupled with a decade of plaque damage leftover from my diabetes caused the strokes. Diabetes has been under control since I first went primal but the damage was done. BP is now finally under control with a cocktail of pills I hope to be able to get off of whenever I finally reach my goal weight.
    I doubt that anyone is going to attribute three strokes to primal when you had only been eating that way for a tiny fraction of your life.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Hey, sounds like you've got your head on straight! Good luck with your continued recovery and improving health. And it ain't to hard to find a Primal friendly chiro.....just sayin

Paleobird Guest

No wonder you've been AWOL. I'm so sorry you went through that but so glad that you are coming back out on the other side and strong again. You can get past a tweaked back. You've already survived much worse and are still ticking.

Yep, just keep the portions sensible and give yourself all the time you need to really heal. [[[[[[[HUGS]]]]]]]]

Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    I doubt that anyone is going to attribute three strokes to primal when you had only been eating that way for a tiny fraction of your life.
    Yeah, that parting shot was more for the trolls who come in here looking for any niggling little detail with which to bash PB.

jnicholas is offline Junior Member
    Is there such thing as too much protein? Does gluconeogenesis only kick in in when there is a shortage of carbs, or does it also happen when your body gets too much protein and cannot utilize it all as amino acids?

Particularly curious if there is a recommended grams of protein per lb/lean muscle for someone who is stuck in sedentary mode (such as during a long recovery where even light walking is out of the question).
    In Loren Cordain’s new book, he states that “protein is toxic above 35 percent of a person’s daily calories.” I think the problem is at some point your protein is high enough that you mathematically won't have enough fat to process it properly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast