Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Icy VLC fingers page

magicmerl is offline Senior Member

Icy VLC fingers

Shop Now
    One thing that has happened to me in the last few months is that the very tips of my fingers and sometimes my toes get cold.

From what I've read this is vasoconstriction due to a lowered metabolism. Possibly caused by eating VLC, electrolyte deficiencies, or Reynauds disease....

I thought that it might be a potassium deficiency and am taking a banana (with whipped cream, natch!) every second day and that seems to help a bit.

Is this normal for others out there? If you have had it, what did you do to treat yourself (if anything?)
    Last edited by magicmerl; 06-27-2012 at 03:02 PM. Reason: grammar
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Oatmeal with blackstrap molasses or grade B maple syrup most days, yams, and all the fruit I want. I eat what makes me feel good. Oatmeal makes me feel good, ice cream doesn't. Go figure. Anyway my hands are pleasantly warm all the time now.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    One thing that has happened to me in the last few months is that the very tips of my fingers and sometimes my toes get cold.

From what I've read this is vasoconstriction due to a lowered metabolism. Possibly caused by eating VLC, electrolyte deficiencies, or Reynauds disease....

I thought that it might be a potassium deficiency and taking a banana (with whipped cream, natch!) every second day and that seems to help a bit.

Is this normal for others out there? If you have had it, what did you do to treat yourself (if anything?)
    The exact same thing happened to me, along with some other symptoms. Carbs fixed it.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    My hands are usually abnormally hot due to high histamine levels. I only ever had cold hands when I had mercury poisoning.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Paleobird Guest
    Hm. Going low carb fixed my cold extremities issues. I used to sleep with socks on (sexy right?) but I'm comfortably warm now.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    When I first saw the title I thought it was Icky VFF fingers.

Are you eating enough? I get cold when it's cold out and I'm fasting for a long time. The whole low carb destroys your metabolism thing is a crock of shit, by the way.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post

Are you eating enough? I get cold when it's cold out and I'm fasting for a long time. The whole low carb destroys your metabolism thing is a crock of shit, by the way.

Thank you. Very concise and very true.

patski is offline Senior Member
    It ain't a crock of shite when you have candida :-\

(and yeah, my hands and feet are cold 95% of the time)

I MISS MAH SWEET POTATOES
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

orielwen is offline Senior Member
    I have had this my whole life. (Not Reynaud's; they don't go white, though they can go purple with orange spots if they're old enough.) I've always assumed it was part of me. the thing is that most of the time it doesn't bother me – they're cold to the touch but they don't feel cold to me. In fact, often if they're warm it's because the rest of me is uncomfortably hot!

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Hm. Going low carb fixed my cold extremities issues. I used to sleep with socks on (sexy right?) but I'm comfortably warm now.
    Indeed, people are different.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post

Reasonable, respected people in this community have varying opinions on this, particular when the situations of the people on VLC vary:

Carbohydrates and the Thyroid | Perfect Health Diet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast