Thread: Please refute this professor page

Pheurton is offline Junior Member

Please refute this professor

Shop Now
    Hi. I'm new to the forums, but a 2+ year primal follower. I am taking a nutrition class for college and asked a bonus question to get extra credit on a test.

This is the question I asked: Can an average, healthy American sustain his/her health by completely eliminating carbohydrates from their diet altogether?

And this is the answer I received: Carbs are the best source of energy. The by-products of carbs metabolism (burning at the cell level to release ATP) are water and carbon dioxide, easily expelled by the body. The metabolism of fat creates ketone bodies. The metabolism of protein produces nitrogen waste, making the kidney work very hard. A healthy diet should have 50% of the calories coming from carbs, 15-20% from protein, and the rest from fat.

Please someone give me the courtesy of running this logic into the ground. I've read Mark's book. I know this just isn't true. But I want to hear it from the community. Thx.

-Pheurton

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    You would learn more and be better for it if you were to research and write your own refute. Lots of resources right at your fingertips.

Research the diet of the Inuit indians.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BobthePhotoGuy View Post
    Research the diet of the Inuit indians.
    And the clinical studies of the Pima Indians.
    Last edited by Nady; 06-27-2012 at 01:27 PM.

Catharsis is offline Senior Member
    Word of advice, don't argue with an indoctrinated college professor. It'll only result in an "F".

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pheurton View Post
    Hi. I'm new to the forums, but a 2+ year primal follower. I am taking a nutrition class for college and asked a bonus question to get extra credit on a test.

This is the question I asked: Can an average, healthy American sustain his/her health by completely eliminating carbohydrates from their diet altogether?

And this is the answer I received: Carbs are the best source of energy. The by-products of carbs metabolism (burning at the cell level to release ATP) are water and carbon dioxide, easily expelled by the body. The metabolism of fat creates ketone bodies. The metabolism of protein produces nitrogen waste, making the kidney work very hard. A healthy diet should have 50% of the calories coming from carbs, 15-20% from protein, and the rest from fat.

Please someone give me the courtesy of running this logic into the ground. I've read Mark's book. I know this just isn't true. But I want to hear it from the community. Thx.

-Pheurton
    1) Do your own work.

2) ZC works for few people.

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    How can you get extra credit for asking a question? I thought credit came from answering them?
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Tercio is offline Senior Member
    2nding what Catharsis said. School is about regurgitating the indoctrination. It’s great you can think on your own, but that’s not the place for it.

Tercio

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tercio View Post
    2nding what Catharsis said. School is about regurgitating the indoctrination. It’s great you can think on your own, but that’s not the place for it.

Tercio
    Read this to DH~ he replied with a quote from the movie Total Recall ~ * I don't give you enough information to think*. Sounds about right for formal education.