Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not feeling good; General malaise, muscle pain, dizzy, headache, fever... page

MarCar is offline Junior Member

Not feeling good; General malaise, muscle pain, dizzy, headache, fever...

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

My wife and I started primal 5 days ago and have finished about 1/3 - 1/2 of the book so far. Even though we haven't finished the book, we decided to start eating primal. Pretty much eating just meat, veggies, and fruit as recommended in the book...and a 1/2 sweet potato one day and a little brown rice another day. Coffee in the AM with stevia and tea at night with a small bit of raw honey. Using rice bread and rice crackers sparingly.

We both are having a lot of trouble with general malaise, muscle/joint pain, dizzy, headache, fatigue, sleeplessness...and last night I was a feverish shivering all night. What is funny is that my fever broke at 4 AM in about 30 min when I got up and had a bowl of puffed rice and almond milk.

We understand there is an adjustment period, but are these harsh symptoms normal? If so, when will they stop?!? We havenít even started the workout routines yet because we feel so bad.

On a positive note I have lost 4 lbs in 5 days without working out yet, my stomach feels MUCH better (I felt bloated a lot of the time), and my wife has seen some weight loss as well.

Thank you for your help and hopefully this adjustment period will be over soon so we can enjoy being part of the community.

Mark and Carrie

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    Carb flu. You will get over it shortly. We all got it, length depends on the person....
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like an actual virus to me. Keep following the healthy eating plan and rest.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it. I looked up Carb Flu...yeah, I think you are right. Never heard of that before.

Fever didn't start until last night. Might be both Carb Flu and virus??? My wife didn't get the fever. I didn't see that fever was one of the Carb Flu symptoms. Do you think it might be wise for me to up my carbs (healthy cabs...brown rice, sweet potatoes...) for the next day or so until the fever is gone? Or stick with the plan described in the book?

Thanks

Beefy is offline Member
    It could be a virus as well, but you are definitely suffering from carb flu. I would not up your carbs. It might be unpleasant but you will get through it. Only takes most folks 1-2 weeks tops to work through and get your body back on the road to burning fat vice hungering for carbs.

tplank is offline Senior Member
    Ditto on the carb flu. I felt really sick when I went through that. Almost passed out one day. But then suddenly on about day 13, I felt better than I had in years. Everybody is a bit different, but those kinds of symptoms are common.

Hawkward is offline Senior Member
    Were you eating lots and lots of carbs previously? If you were then maybe the sudden difference in intake level is what's causing it, but I wonder if there's something else. For example, you could be having thyroid issues due to not enough or too much iodine. Are you supplementing with anything?

I was very dizzy yesterday and spent most of the day sleeping... Yes I would say that I was eating a lot of carbs, whole grains mostly. I don't take any supplements other than a protein shake and a multivitamin every once in a while. I have never had thyroid issues before. Still not feeling 100% (comes and goes), but I am feeling better. It is good to hear that this is temporary. Thanks

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Getting past the carb flu would be much easier if you weren't starting your day off with puffed rice! You might as well be eating table sugar as that is how it is seen by your body. Start your day with high protein/fat. Eggs and meat. Get away from the idea of things having to be sweet also. I don't consume any sugary products at all. I do however have some grains on occasion with little problem. That said, the amount that I have is beyond miniscule in comparison to what the average person does. Most consume more in one day than I would in a couple weeks.

Stick to veggies and some fruit for your carbs until you really start feeling much better. Stay away from anything processed.

TTBlue21 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am on day 5 and have had similar symptoms. No big surprise as I was previously taking in massive amounts of Carbs with high intense workouts. A complete shock to the body for sure. The first few days I had the dizziness, flu like symptoms, joint pain, muscle soreness and complete fatigue.

On day 2 I decided to address the issues by taking in an a few more high sugar fruits (Apples, Bananas, raisins, etc). It really helped. The past three days I have been slowly reducing the amount of those high sugar fruits and the flu symptoms, overall fatigue, and dizziness have subsided. Also, I have really forced the water issue...

I am still working out pretty hard and I wake up pretty fatigued and am pretty sore throughout the day. I am not surprised.

Good news, I too feel much better! My "full" feeling is way different. I think alone giving up the massive amounts of diet coke, cottage cheese and sugar additives have made things a lot better. I am looking forward to seeing how I feel in two weeks.
    Last edited by TTBlue21; 06-29-2012 at 06:59 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast