Thread: Need advice for a dysfunctional kitchen. page

ToddBS is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

I bought an old house with an old kitchen. The oven had to go as it was almost a health hazard in itself. Now, due to various circumstances my remodel is at a standstill and may be so for many more months to come.

I'm throwing this out there to get some recipe ideas. I have at my disposal a microwave, a toaster oven, and a single-burner hot plate. Now that I see that in writing, it doesn't seem so bad. I have a crock pot as well. Hmm... aside from having only one burner to cook on and a limit of about a 1qt casserole in the "oven", I guess I could be in worse shape.

Still, if anyone has some primal recipe ideas for the minimalist kitchen I'm all ears.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

It seems to me you can cook pretty well with all that, especially since you have the crock pot.

For fun, though, you might consider getting a solar oven, from Sun Ovens International.

http://www.sunoven.com/

I have one of these things. It works fantastically well. In the spring, summer, and fall, in sunny weather you can cook food very easily. It's kind of a self-sufficiency tool also, if the grid goes out. You could even boil water with it, to make it safe to drink.

It costs a bit, but it will last for years and years.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

You could use your single burner to cook up the meat, whilst steaming your veggies in a pot in the microwave?

hazyjane is offline Senior Member

I know you can cook a whole chicken in a crock pot! You might do a little googling for crockpot meals. You can also do the Asian layered steaming thing and steam fish or chicken on one layer and veggies above.

http://www.ehow.com/way_5232041_stea...ing-times.html

ToddBS is offline Junior Member

Good idea about the microwave. For some reason I never think of it as being an actual cooking implement. I mostly use it for heating up a cup of coffee or tea that went cold.

And while I don't think a sun oven is in my future, it did remind me that I can always grill outside as well.

I may find that when this is all done I don't even need a new stove/oven. Umm... that may be stretching it.

Thanks for the kickstart though. I think I just needed a boost as I was getting a bit depressed looking at the mess that is my kitchen.

tooround is offline Senior Member

I love my crockpot. I'll bet we have one each of beef or pork roast every week. I make enough for supper, nibbles and lunch the next day.