Thread: Sharing This Wonderful Way Of Eating Can Be Very Frustrating! page

Sharing This Wonderful Way Of Eating Can Be Very Frustrating!

Primal Fuel
    Hello,
    I have been eating paleo/primal for about a month now. Not really that strict and last weekend I even had beer, cake and pizza. Didn't beat myself up over it but I just hopped back on the wagon and Monday went back to eating healthy. My body composition is changing and people are starting to notice. Down 4 belt loops and about 4 lbs. Gaining muscle from Crossfit so I have probably lost more lbs in fat than 4 but I am not dwelling on weight loss anyway.

Here is my dilemma. My sister has been steadily gaining weight since her late 20s and has been hitting Weight Watchers and all of the other conventional means of eating "healthy". She has had two miscarriages in the last year, back problems and she is always talking about how she needs to lose weight. Against my better judgment, I shared with her Mark's Daily Apple and Robb Wolf's book with advice that she should read them both and just try it for 3-4 weeks. I say against my better judgment because talking about diet and exercise are about as polarizing as politics and religion. Oh my goodness what a mistake! The thought of taking away her bran muffin and cheerios is like telling her you are taking away her right to breathe. I got the response of, "That's just too difficult." or "I don't have time to eat that way." and "I will feel terrible if I don't eat bread." It's amazing how strong the sugar addiction is and how people would rather starve themselves through calorie deficit programs like Weight Watchers and feel terrible all day than give up a few foods that are robbing them of their energy. She is also going back to her spin class which is where she hurt herself to begin with which is even more frustrating.

Nothing is more frustrating than hearing people talk about how they are trying to lose weight and feel better and when they ask your advice and you give it, they discard it as a "fad" diet and exercise program. I just want to seriously SLAP people in the face and say "Hey complainer, remember when I was 25lbs heavier and couldn't walk around the block without sweating profusely? You asked me how I lost weight, I am telling you and you still don't want to do it." Stop bitching about being fat and unhappy if you are unwilling to change it. You can't have your whole grains and eat them too. That's just the way it is.

AC-venting!

Unamused Mouse is offline Senior Member
    And soon you will not bother trying to help other people, because we all have better things to do with our breath, like singing while admiring our new shapes in the mirror.

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    Yah, it's pretty much useless trying to tell 95% of the people out there that there is a better way. They are not ready, they don't care and/or they are just too stupid to understand.

I watched my mother and sister die from obesity and diabetes but they would not change their ways. I don't even try anymore to inform people I meet or know.
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

spacey47 is offline Senior Member
    When it comes down to it people are either motivated to do something or they are not

What annoys me is when they do all the bad stuff and then complain about it! its all about making a choice

Credodisi is offline Senior Member
    Be gentle. Be kind. It's easy to have the solution to others problems but very difficult to accept the solution to our own.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Keep thy [diet] religion to thyself.

Be like a monk who tells everyone everything they need to know about what he's doing through the outward manifestations of his peace [health], not through words.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Figlio di Moros is offline Senior Member
    Sounds about right- not sure why people are so quick to judge, especially when they've been trying for years and can't seem to get it right. I've had a few people dip their toes in, but no-one seems to be following me- not so big of a deal. I eat this way, I'm used to it, whether or not they join me isn't a big concern right now.

Jodis is offline Member
    Yes, sugar addiction is powerful. So a little compassion for people who can't break it?

That said, I used to sweeten my herbal tea with a lot of honey. I tried to quit it cold turkey, but that was too hard. So I spent several weeks decreasing the amount I used, retraining my taste buds. Now I use no sweetner whatsoever. I still think it would taste better if it was sweetened, but that's not the same as craving the sweetness. A sort of dispassionate, "yes, I like sweet tastes, but I don't really need it".

Just tell your sister, bluntly, that she asked, that's what you're doing, and what SHE does is entirely up to her. That you've given her the information, and if she chooses not to believe or act on it, at least you made it available.