Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Husband just got blood work back. Help me understand his cholesterol number page

jmosery is offline Member

Husband just got blood work back. Help me understand his cholesterol number

Primal Fuel
    Hi

i've been reading the forum for months and you guys are so helpful

I'm confused on the advice to give my husband so hoping you guys can help me out

He is 34 yo, 5'10 180 lbs. Not terribly overweight but can stand to lose 10-15 lbs.

I think more so is that he does NOT exercise. This morning he went for a run/walk and did a mile and a half. He'll do some bench presses, pull ups and situps occassionally but its not regular. His idea of exercise is a 15-20 minute walk and his fast walk is slower than my stroll. (i wish he had the love for exercise I do)

anyways.... his diet is terrrible. he eats what he wants. for breakfast he'll have a container of greek yogurt with the fruit in it and a cereal bar or peice of fruit

lunch is a salad i make him or wrap with cold cuts/cheese/mayo- which isn't much at all

and dinner is what i make but he'll snack on junk all night

His doctor was worried about his cholesterol

his total is 208
    Triglycerdes are 220
    HDL 42
    VLDL 44
    LDL is 122

He wants to eat grilled chicken everyday and take fish oil pills(per doctor- that was the guys only advice YEAH!)

help me explain what he should be doing to improve his numbers.

Thanks so much

Jaime

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Thanks but my husband is in no way primal. I wish he would convert but he eats whatever he wants

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    I know but Mark talks about more than just eating.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

ah thanks, yeah i've been reading. thank you!!

Kariberry is offline Member
    I have the same problem!! You and I have a very similar situation, except he doesn't have high cholesterol, but he eats terribly, stresses over work and won't exercise. In a strange way, I wish he did have some kind of "bad number" from the doc, because he thinks he's fine. Well, he's not. He suffers from bad seasonal allergies, has sleep apnea, and many of the men in his family have cardiovascular problems beginning in their 50's (he's 48). I try not to nag, but it drives me nuts. He's been dabbling with the PB since I've been doing it (2 months) but he's still eating crap, drinking those *&%*ing energy drinks and not sleeping. Frustrating.

Barb is offline Senior Member
    What is truly scary about his numbers is that his triglycerides are so HIGH and his HDL is LOW. It means his LDL particles are the small dense variety that are more likely to damage arterial walls. This is associated with a very high risk of developing diabetes and heart disease. To turn it around he really needs to limit his carbs and increase healthy fats - which includes healthy saturated animal fats. Excess carbs are turned into triglycerides by the liver because high blood sugar is so toxic to the body. Lay off the carbs, the TG's go down. More walking and physical activity would help with insulin sensitivity as well. You might suggest that he have his hemoglobin A1C tested to see if his blood sugar is in the prediabetic range - that might help motivate him.

Unfortunately, it is a difficult thing to motivate other people to make lifestyle changes. We all commit to things in our own time for our own reasons. Quietly and happily pursuing primal living and enjoying the health benefits whether he joins you or not is a powerful force for change, just maybe not on your timetable. Mentioning the studies and articles you have read supporting PB concepts can help build up acceptance of PB in the longrun, even if the immediate response is skepticism.

I remember once somebody I worked with made the statement "You know, there is getting to be more evidence that its not fat that makes you fat but sugar". This seemed bizarre to me at the time, because EVERYONE knows that eating fat makes you fat. She didn't lecture or elaborate. But after that, every time I read or heard something that supported her statement I took it in with a curious and open mind. It was the seed that started gathering evidence from other sources until I was ready to believe it myself. Now I am the big proponent of high fat, real fat eating at work.

Larry Leezure is offline Junior Member
    Sorry for butting in but could someone toss me the preferred ratios of CH levels?

Uzito is offline Junior Member
    Desired ratios are: Total/HDL less than 5, Trig/HDL less than 2, LDL/HDL less than 4.3
    Desired levels: HDL >55, Trig <100

BARB- thank you so much. I forwarded him your reply and will ask him to ask his doctor to run that test. His mother is extremely obese(350 lbs) and does not take care of her diabetes as well as a number of other issues. His father does not exercise and takes Statins and eats low fat and lots of junk. He has NO knowledge of what healthy eating is about. I hope something clicks for him. Thank you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast