Thread: Fatigue on rest days? I don't get it. page

Primal Fuel

Saturday is my rest day. And by rest, I mean I do not do my scheduled workout, but still putz around the house, cleaning, walking the dog, shopping, etc. So, there is still some activity there. However, I feel like shit on Saturdays. I'm more tired, cranky, anxious, and sometimes feel a little nauseous. It feels like an exercise withdrawal. I know it isn't in my head, because I sometimes look forward to my Saturdays "off". But then today rolls around and it's ugh...can't wait until tomorrow when I can workout again, but I do force the rest. Why is this and what can I do to truly enjoy the break?

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Shabbat shalom.....

michelle Guest

didn't i read in another thread that you are doing p90x along with possibly additional cardio/other exercise? if that is correct, it is highly possible that you are overexercising and what is happening is fatigued adrenals... when you do intense exercise your body releases cortisol and adrenalin and endorphins. after a long time of this your stressed adrenals aren't working up to par and you *need* exercise (cortisol release) to feel normal. this happened to me and i'm STILL working on becoming balanced again. it took a long time of really backing off on intense exercise and focusing on "giving back" to the body (relaxation, acupuncture, nutrition) and i'm nearly starting to feel normal again.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

Same thing happens to me every Friday. (My day off.) I figure my body is used to the big metabolism boost at the crack of dawn, and when I don't get it I drag around all day.

I still force myself to take a day off once a week. I usually wind up falling asleep with a book in my lap late-morning or early afternoon. Sometimes I take a second nap in the afternoon!

Ecala is offline Junior Member

I agree michelle. Happened to me too.

Thank you to all that responded. I went back into the forums and even did some research online. I don't have any of the other symptoms of thyroid issues or adrenal fatigue. I just feel like crap when I do not work out. It may be an endorphin issue?

Conan Guest

Go for a long walk. You probably just need something to get the blood flowing.

bonesheal Guest

I'm getting ready for a marathon, doing two weeks of 55 miles, then a recovery week of 35. During the harder weeks, I always think I can keep going, but as soon as I start taking it easy, the fatigue starts raining down on me until I get rested. Because of this I've learned to schedule rest instead of taking it when I feel like I need it.

michelle Guest

i couldn't seem to log in yesterday for some reason... oh well. i just wanted to add that i didn't feel any other symptoms either. when you keep up intense exercise like that it is like a band-aid on the problem. your tired out adrenals keep trying to squeeze out cortisol but it's like squeezing water out of wood!