Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips to get rid of water retention page

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member

Tips to get rid of water retention

Primal Fuel
    Hello MDA
    As I'm treated for my hypogonadism with Testosterone enanthate 250 mg every 3 weeks, I experience a lot of water retention and it's very very disappointing.
    As a part of my recovery is to regain some weight, it is very hard to do so while waking up some days with a disgusting body, very very blurry and squishy abdominal area and swollen love handles zone.

Do you have some nutritional tips to get ride of as much water retention as I can ?

Thanks
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Sometimes my mother use a chemical sweetener composed of sodium cyclamate and saccharin sodium in asian and spicy homemade sauces
    I just realized it could very well be one of the main causes of my fluid retention because I tend to consume them a little too much.
    I'll switch to Stevia I think.
    I'm guessing it has the same effect as excess salt on the sodium potassium balance ?
    Thanks
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Low carb.

I tried, been in ketosis for a week, didn't influence my water retention. Went away at the beginning then came back rather quickly.

Catharsis is offline Senior Member
    Drink more water, tons of it. Water = Nature's Diuretic.

Quote Originally Posted by Catharsis View Post
    Drink more water, tons of it. Water = Nature's Diuretic.
    Tried that too, trying once again at the moment, felt worse the day after.
    My guess is on the sodium variations I mentioned earlier combined with a side effect of the test ester.

Tercio is offline Senior Member
    Coffee, or worst case, Lasix.

Quote Originally Posted by Tercio View Post
    Coffee, or worst case, Lasix.
    I'm already drinking 3/4 big mugs of coffee a day, mostly during my IF. It doesn't help.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    If you are experiencing water retention due to medication, the only way to get rid of that water is to stop taking the medication. Unfortunately, that may not be a viable option for you.

Remedies to get rid of water retention will only be temporary. They're not sustainable for more than a few days at a time.

You could reduce sodium intake temporarily, but that's going to have a negative impact on your thyroid.

You could drop carbs temporarily to expel water, which works for a day or two, but then your muscles will deflate from lack of muscle glycogen and you'll just look weak and depleted. It's not a good look.

You could drink dandelion tea mixed with lemon juice and cayenne. Five days before my beach weekend, I drank each day a 64oz bottle of tea I made - 1 bag of dandelion tea mixed with a cinnamon stick, a few tablespoons of lemon juice, cayenne pepper and hawthorne berry powder and I must have dropped 5 lbs and suddenly had a solid 4 pack...but that's unsustainable and tastes like sweaty socks (if you've ever had dandelion tea before it tastes like sweat). It's also rough on your liver to drink daily for more than few weeks (it says it on the box of tea itself).

None of these things work for more than a few days.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    If you are experiencing water retention due to medication, the only way to get rid of that water is to stop taking the medication. Unfortunately, that may not be a viable option for you.

Remedies to get rid of water retention will only be temporary. They're not sustainable for more than a few days at a time.

You could reduce sodium intake temporarily, but that's going to have a negative impact on your thyroid.

You could drop carbs temporarily to expel water, which works for a day or two, but then your muscles will deflate from lack of muscle glycogen and you'll just look weak and depleted. It's not a good look.

You could drink dandelion tea mixed with lemon juice and cayenne. Five days before my beach weekend, I drank each day a 64oz bottle of tea I made - 1 bag of dandelion tea mixed with a cinnamon stick, a few tablespoons of lemon juice, cayenne pepper and hawthorne berry powder and I must have dropped 5 lbs and suddenly had a solid 4 pack...but that's unsustainable and tastes like sweaty socks (if you've ever had dandelion tea before it tastes like sweat). It's also rough on your liver to drink daily for more than few weeks (it says it on the box of tea itself).

None of these things work for more than a few days.
    Very interesting answer, thanks for the input man.
    I think my treatment makes me more sensitive to water retention and the causes it can have from my diet.
    Because when I fast for a longer period, say 24h, it's absolutely better.
    I'll try some days without any sodium based sweeteners (What am I saying ? I'll ditch them forever ), will drink more water, and see how it goes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast