Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a trick to Double Unders? page

Invictus14 is offline Member

Is there a trick to Double Unders?

Primal Fuel
    Ok so I have been jumping rope since I was like 11 years old. As a wrestler and a lacrosse goalie, jump rope was a staple in my life through high school and college. For the life of me I can't seem to get the rhythm or trick to getting double unders. I did like a max of 4 today before I whipped myself in the shins. Is it just one of those practice things or is there a trick to it. I have been using "speed ropes" (super thin ropes) at the little cross fit tent we have here. So far I have been told that I need to make sure that the rope is the right length, what is the right length to do double unders? I usually just pick up a rope and jump with it no problem unless it is like a foot long or something silly like that.

Thanks
    "Most men stop when they begin to tire. Good men go until they think they will collapse. But the VERY BEST men know that the mind tires before the body and push themselves beyond all limits. Only when all of these limits have been shattered can the unattainable be reached." ~Dan Gable

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    i'm gonna assume it's speed of the rope plus a bit of added height on the jumps
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Whip the rope around really fast... and jump higher....

seriously, you may need to exaggerate the jump quite a bit until you get comfortable with the whipping that's needed to accelerate the rope. And for me the rope doesn't maintain a constant speed. I whip it for 2 (rotations), whip it for 2, whip it for 2, etc...
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Evbois is offline Junior Member
    I box and jump rope as my key warmup. I can do a round of double unders. Trick is sometimes the length of rope, although I jump with a fairly long rope for my 5 foot height, but the key for me is what you do with your feet when you're up in the air. If you're bending your knees, it will slow you down and the rope will catch. The best position is to keep your legs straight and push them slightly forward, which also gives a heck of an ab workout! Does that make sense? I'm not describing it too well.

Invictus14 is offline Member
    No that makes perfect sense, that is kind of how it looks when people are cranking them out while I am whipping my shins. I think I really just need to dedicate some effort to practicing. Thank you for the advice.
    "Most men stop when they begin to tire. Good men go until they think they will collapse. But the VERY BEST men know that the mind tires before the body and push themselves beyond all limits. Only when all of these limits have been shattered can the unattainable be reached." ~Dan Gable

B_Lynn is offline Junior Member

Thanks@!

Quote Originally Posted by Evbois View Post
    I box and jump rope as my key warmup. I can do a round of double unders. Trick is sometimes the length of rope, although I jump with a fairly long rope for my 5 foot height, but the key for me is what you do with your feet when you're up in the air. If you're bending your knees, it will slow you down and the rope will catch. The best position is to keep your legs straight and push them slightly forward, which also gives a heck of an ab workout! Does that make sense? I'm not describing it too well.
    THIS is the exact piece of advice I needed I think. I keep hearing my rope isn't fast enough and jump higher but I knew there had to be something more I needed to adjust. I'll def give this a go. I wonder why this isn't common advice, assuming it helps that is. I very obviously bend my knees, almost exaggeratedly to try to get the rope to pass again and nearly always catch myself on the foot.

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    Step on the rope with both feet together, the ends of the rope should reach your arm-pits.

B_Lynn is offline Junior Member

Thanks@!

Quote Originally Posted by Evbois View Post
    THIS is the exact piece of advice I needed I think. I keep hearing my rope isn't fast enough and jump higher but I knew there had to be something more I needed to adjust. I'll def give this a go. I wonder why this isn't common advice, assuming it helps that is. I very obviously bend my knees, almost exaggeratedly to try to get the rope to pass again and nearly always catch myself on the foot.

ChaserBD04 is offline Senior Member
    If you do any type of "superman" to "hollow rock" type of exercises, what I have found to be the best double under position is the "hollow rock" i.e. if you kip pullups, the position your body is in right when you drive up to the bar. That hollow rock position is also what you should be maintaining for pushups. For me, double unders finally just clicked. The main thing I had to do was slow myself down with my jumping, and jump just a little higher without bending my knees. Remember that the speed of the rope needs to come from your wrists, as well, and not from your arms. Once you find the proper wrist rhythm and slow your jumping down, it will click for you as well! Oh... and whipping yourself never really stops. ;-)
    ~All luck is earned in the end.~

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    lol.... I figured you were talking about jumping rope, but had to google it to be sure.

Yeah, I've been doing these since junior high. No trick to it really. Just practice.... speed, agility, and a little technique. When I googled it there was some sort of cross fit video. Is this an in vogue crossfit thing now? Sweet, whats old is new again I suppose. Do you guys do speed skips too? I go through a routine of crosses, speed skips, double uneders, and general jumps when I'm hitting the jump rope for HIIT in my garage. I'm making up those names based on the movement.... have no idea what you might call em.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-03-2013 at 07:33 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast