Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weekly fitness... Too much? page

Weekly fitness... Too much?

Shop Now
    Hi all. I'm new to PB and was wondering if instead of following Marks weekly workout plan, if It would be ikay if i altered it a little bit. I was thinking of keeping up with at least 1 hr of walking or biking a day, and then on m,w,f doing the normal body weight exercises. I was also thinking of doing just one set of the body weight exercises on tues and thurs. Do you think that's too much?

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    That's very little. It's approximately what I do, except I walk a ton during my work week. I make slow, steady gains and experience very little joint pain or exhaustion. It's solid for health maintenance. Mr. and Mrs. Beefcake are going to tell you it's a bad idea, because they want to get stronger and stronger every week until they have gone too far and destroyed their backs. For the rest of us who just want to be moderately strong and healthy, it's plenty. I'm doing lots of push-ups and chin-ups, sprinting, bicycling and climbing on things. Just not every single day...

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Mr. and Mrs. Beefcake are going to tell you it's a bad idea, because they want to get stronger and stronger every week until they have gone too far and destroyed their backs.
    Might be a little inflammatory?

Quote Originally Posted by ashleyisbister View Post
    Hi all. I'm new to PB and was wondering if instead of following Marks weekly workout plan, if It would be ikay if i altered it a little bit. I was thinking of keeping up with at least 1 hr of walking or biking a day, and then on m,w,f doing the normal body weight exercises. I was also thinking of doing just one set of the body weight exercises on tues and thurs. Do you think that's too much?
    PBF is just fine for your average person to achieve and maintain a healthy lifestyle, but it sounds like you're doing a little less than the PBF plan. But what you have sounds fine (vague though), maybe bump it up later when you get in shape.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Thank you both for replying so fast! I dont want to make fast gains or anything, I'm just trying to build my upper body strength so I feel like I have a bit of a base to begin with. In the last couple of months I've started to play tennis, which has helped strengthen and tone my legs, but I still have barely any upper body strength. I was thinking on M,W, and F on doing two or three sets (based on how I feel that day) of 30 knee pushups, 15 chair assisted pull ups, 50 assisted squats, and 90 seconds of forearm/ feet plank. Then on Tues and Thurs, I was thinking of only doing one set of that. I'm definitely aiming for more than an hour a day of slow movement, but I thought for a minimum to get into it, it wouldnt be too bad. I do have some old shoulder problems (from swimming injuries) and also a really weak ankle (from tons of sprains, etc) so as much as I want to progress, I also dont want to push it too hard and end up re-injuring myself.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    When you are at the early stages of body-weight work you can do more volume but as you get stronger you will need some more recovery time.
    I would stick to the three workout days. On the other days sprint, play tennis, etc.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    That's very little. It's approximately what I do, except I walk a ton during my work week. I make slow, steady gains and experience very little joint pain or exhaustion. It's solid for health maintenance. Mr. and Mrs. Beefcake are going to tell you it's a bad idea, because they want to get stronger and stronger every week until they have gone too far and destroyed their backs. For the rest of us who just want to be moderately strong and healthy, it's plenty. I'm doing lots of push-ups and chin-ups, sprinting, bicycling and climbing on things. Just not every single day...
    I've never destroyed my back. Maybe I'm hardier than the average Mr. Beefcake?

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ashleyisbister View Post
    I do have some old shoulder problems (from swimming injuries) and also a really weak ankle (from tons of sprains, etc) so as much as I want to progress, I also dont want to push it too hard and end up re-injuring myself.
    A swimming injury? Don't see that too often. VFFs have helped a lot people with their ankles, if that's something your interested in.

As far as your volume, it's really up to you. As your body adapts in the next few months, you can add more volume. Just let your body be the guide, it's a life goal not a get fit quick.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    If you're working hard enuogh, you should not be doing strength training daily. You need to give your body time to recover. Plus, you don't want to burn yourself out. Go hard 3 days/week or even down to 2 depending on how you feel. Have you tried the PBF yet? At the right level you will be sore.

I did the first double set for PBF this morning and im definitely feeling it right now haha as for the swimming injury, I was a speed swimmer for 8 years and the club I was with for 7 of it didn't do mug stretching or dry land. I ended up having rotator cuff injuries almost yearly which then turned into nerve damage. Had to quit soon after that so I wouldn't get any worse injuries. What's VFF?

Sorry, much not mug. Apparently auto correct likes to make my talking more interesting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast