Thread: How is it possible I'm still fat and other questions I ask myself page

Gratefull is offline Junior Member

How is it possible I'm still fat and other questions I ask myself

Shop Now
    Okay. That may be misleading but it's also true. I have been practicing this paleo lifestyle for about 15 months and it's been an amazing transformation. I weigh now at 40 years of age less then I did in High School. My highest recorded weight was 218 pounds. But here is the funny thing, that weight was hanging on almost 6' 5" of frame so it never really seemed like i was obese and certainly not by 50lbs.
    Fast forward to today. My stats are now 168lbs 7.8% body fat and yet I still have stubborn fat sitting on my abdomen and back. It frustrates me to no end. I'm now buckling down and using all the tools in the chest to try and eliminate it once and for all. I guess the thing this has taught me is that most everyone I know is actually fat!!! I know I was for at least 20 years and never thought I could maintain this weight but thanks to paleo I'm not only maintaining I'm actually improving. This really has been a life changing experience and one that stirs my passions deeply. I have purchased half a dozen copies of the 21 day challenge and constantly loaning out my personal copy. When I see the results I'm always inspired by what this way of living can actually achieve.

Anyway. I'm rambling a bit but seriously if you have any tips on how I can rid myself of the stubborn stuff I would love to hear it. I am sort of resigned to the fact that it may just take a long time to finally melt away.

Also I'm curious to know I'f you have also hit a lower weight than you had before living a paleo lifestyle.
    Cheers!

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    There is no way you have stubborn fat at 7.8% bf....what are you using to measure?
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Also, 218 at 6'5" is a BMI of 25.8, which is just a hair into the overweight category, nowhere near obese--not sure where that 50 pounds is coming from. This is the second post today from someone with extremely low body fat/weight (at 168 and 6'5", that's a BMI of 19.9) who is claiming they have stubborn fat to lose.

Seems a bit odd to me.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Back fat was never around when my back was muscular from heavy lifting. Now that my lifestyle has changed and I am no longer splitting and stacking firewood and doing the pitchfork and shoveling work or having a job that required lots of heavy lifting every day I now have back fat. Ergo, heavy lifting helps with back fat.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Maybe he meant 17.8%
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Your BMI is definitely on the low end of normal. Is it possible you have some loose skin that you are mistaking for fat?

Perhaps you could post a few pictures?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Im using this scale. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o06_s01_i00

I have no clue how accurate it is but I have tracked my progress daily and started at 12.4%.

Obese may be a strong word. Point taken. However I was overweight for sure.

50 lbs of loss is coming from 218 old weight - 168 new weight= 50 lbs lighter.

My guess is that it could also be as others have indicated a combo of the last 5 pounds and loose skin from being heavier for so long.

Comma is offline Senior Member
    Boy or girl?

If you are a girl, check out Ttapp (boy too, but I bet it doesn't appeal to you). There are some great excercises that target backfat and belly. Takes some time and lots of pain, but it works.