Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bike recommendations? page 2

tplank is offline Senior Member
    Well...for casual riding...I still like my Trek 700 suggestion. It is a sturdy well made bike that is in your budget area. It is also adaptable if you want something more road like or trail like later. The hybrid tires have enough bite that you can do easy trails.

I for one would encourage you to consider carefully whether you want a "comfort" seat or a traditional seat. While it is true that regular seats get uncomfortable when you are starting out, if you ride much at all, you need to build those muscles and soon that goes away. But, if you only pull it out once a week for an easy ride through the neighborhood, maybe a cruzer is good. Nothing wrong with that. Also keep in mind that if your use patterns change over time, the saddle is easy to replace. Don't pick a bike because of "comfort" features.

And I agree...I would go to a bike shop and talk with the sales people. Sizing the bike is pretty important and some help will go a long ways. The local shops are always the best, but if you have access, REI or Performance are good places to get information as you amble toward this decision. And if you were wondering, Wal-Mart is NOT a good place to check out.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan54 View Post
    Yes, I'm in north/central NJ.
    i'll PM ya

Motorhead is offline Member
    I second the Trek recommendation. I have a Gary Fisher/Trek Marlin 29er and love it. Being 6'4" and a starting weight of 380# made a mountain bike a necessity, plus I do eventually want to take it off-road. I would recommend you don't buy it new though, plenty of deals to be had on CraigsList. They do have a steel framed model 820 which is a little heavier, but indestructible. Should be able to find something a year or two old in the $200 - $400 range pretty easy.
    SW on 10/1/11: 380lbs.
    CW 12/13/12: 315lbs. (Was under 300#, added some muscle :-) )
    GW: 10% B.F. 250lbs. - 275lbs. (6' 4" tall)

Motorhead is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tplank View Post

I for one would encourage you to consider carefully whether you want a "comfort" seat or a traditional seat. While it is true that regular seats get uncomfortable when you are starting out, if you ride much at all, you need to build those muscles and soon that goes away. But, if you only pull it out once a week for an easy ride through the neighborhood, maybe a cruzer is good. Nothing wrong with that. Also keep in mind that if your use patterns change over time, the saddle is easy to replace. Don't pick a bike because of "comfort" features.
    Amen to that... I bought a fancy gel seat and ended up putting my stock seat back on. Looks can be deceiving! I would also add, bicycle shorts are critical too. I get the underwear versions and wear under cargo shorts or just some basketball shorts. The padding and the reduced friction helps a ton.
    SW on 10/1/11: 380lbs.
    CW 12/13/12: 315lbs. (Was under 300#, added some muscle :-) )
    GW: 10% B.F. 250lbs. - 275lbs. (6' 4" tall)

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I like big, heavy beach cruisers because they take extra work to ride. Light bikes seems like a waste of time. Thrift store for the win.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

tplank is offline Senior Member
    The hybrid also balances that out Knife. They have slightly bigger tires with more rolling resistance, but are flexible ... especially if you end up riding mostly roads. My hunch is that most people just getting in to riding want to do some streets and some light duty trails for some pleasant views and the sort.

You are unlikely to find a Trek in a thrift store, but plenty on Ebay and Craig's list.

Oh, and ditto on the shorts. If you don't want the tight fitting variety, they make some that look like cargos and more conventional shorts. I'd take padded shorts over a comfort seat any day.

ryan54 is offline Member
    Thanks for all the input!

dgreenwood is offline Senior Member
    I've always had a regular 10 speed and a mountain bike but I never rode them. Then my brother in law who is a former bike messenger "built" me a single gear bike out of of old parts he wanted to get rid of. The frame is from a high end but really old track bike from the 80's and the handle bars are kind of mountain bike style. The rear wheel is reversible so I can ride it as a fixed gear or free wheel bike but I always leave it free wheel.

I love riding this bike! I ride it all the time. I like not having to shift and that I have to vary my intensity based on the hill rather than just shifting to the appropriate gear. It reminds me of how I rode my bike as a kid but the stream lined nature of the track bike and wheels make it pretty efficient. I feel like I get a great workout, especially when I challenge myself to make it up a long steep hill which we have lots of. I just ride it around the city so I don't have to worry about riding 20 or 30 miles at a time. I can get anywhere I want in 5 or 6 miles so this bike is perfect for that.

Jerseyjim is offline Senior Member
    I highly recommend this bike:

Townie ORIGINAL 21D Bike (Mens) | electra bicycle company

I got one last December. Hands down, the most comfortable bicycle I have ever sat or rode on. I haven't touched my mountain bike since I got it. No hand, neck, arm or butt pain. They retail around $450.

Since your northern NJ, Marty's Reliable Cycle is a dealer. I traded in a lightly used road bike for my Townie. Best bike decision I ever made.

ryan54 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Picked up a Trek for $350 today and rode it home.. almost 6 miles. Forgot how much fun riding a bike was!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast