Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fukushima Safe Salmon? page

JBriss2113 is offline Junior Member

Fukushima Safe Salmon?

Primal Fuel
    Fukushima dumped massive amounts of radioactive elements in the Pacific Ocean which destroyed Alaskian Salmon for me. I heard Atlantic Salmon is a lot higher in mercury though? I love tuna but cut out eating it because I am afraid of Ciguatera Toxin (fish food poisoning that can stay with you for life). Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

Paleobird Guest
    Take a breath and calm down.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Take a breath and calm down.
    +1
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Bananabonobo is offline Senior Member
    yeah, seriously... calm the hell down, you've got all kinds of misinformation muddled up there.
    ciguatera's a reef fish thing anyway; you don't really find it in pelagic fish (which tuna are). if you are eating reef fish frequently, ciguatera gets tested for. tuna's where you worry about mercury. atlantic salmon is somewhat different from pacific in taste and lipid profile, and it's usually farmed, but i think it's pretty good. (disclosure: i work on ecological dynamics wrt salmon farming.) don't let perfect be the enemy of the good and all that. so chill out on pacific salmon for awhile, switch to atlantic, look into mackerel as a really rich source of omega-3 that's quite sustainable. (and smoked mackerel is really to die for.)

JBriss2113 is offline Junior Member
    You can find ciguatera in skipjack tuna I believe.

Bananabonobo is offline Senior Member
    i'd be really surprised if it was there. i do kindasorta keep track of this sort of stuff in relationto work and i've never seen it mentioned in a pelagic fish publication, and nosing around on google scholar now i see histamine-based poisonings related to scombroid fish like tuna, but no ciguatera. looks like a couple of news-type alarmist popular publications mention it but nothing i'd trust, and i suspect they'll be confusing ciguatera with something else--there are a number of different biotoxin/bioaccumulation problems out there. bottom line: tuna's not perfect but i wouldn't sweat ciguatoxin. having said that, if you can direct me to a publication (peer-reviewed journal), i'd be pretty interested to read it.

NicMcCool is offline Senior Member
    I just like saying fukushima.

Fukushima. Fukushima.

Fukushimafukushimafukushimafukushimafukushimafukus himafukushimafukushima...
    I've got of one them journal thingies. One Night At McCool's

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananabonobo View Post
    i'd be really surprised if it was there. i do kindasorta keep track of this sort of stuff in relationto work and i've never seen it mentioned in a pelagic fish publication, and nosing around on google scholar now i see histamine-based poisonings related to scombroid fish like tuna, but no ciguatera. looks like a couple of news-type alarmist popular publications mention it but nothing i'd trust, and i suspect they'll be confusing ciguatera with something else--there are a number of different biotoxin/bioaccumulation problems out there. bottom line: tuna's not perfect but i wouldn't sweat ciguatoxin. having said that, if you can direct me to a publication (peer-reviewed journal), i'd be pretty interested to read it.
    Bananabonobo, there you go being all logical and actually having science on your side and stuff. Way to spoil the reason for freaking out du jour. Spoilsport.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    There is such thing as freshwater fish ~ just in case you're really worried~

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Do you have any idea how UNlikely it is for you to get a case of Ciguatera Toxin???
    There are millions of pounds of snapper and other warm water fish harvested and eaten in FL, HI, Mexico, and the Caribb every year...

Go out in your front yard right now... did lightening strike you. See... perfectly safe! (Central FL is the lightening strike capital of the US... I have electrical wiring that goes all the way into my neck... I go outside!)
    Do you drive a car... ?
    Do you shower... ?
    Both of those activities are MORE risky than eating warm water and reef fish.
    And, in MOST cases of Cig the symptoms last only a few days. It's like weird food poisoning.

But hey... Don't eat it(and tell all of your friends too!) maybe lower demand will mean the fresh snapper and grouper will be cheaper for ME.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast