Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Frequency of getting sick increased on primal? page 3

Comma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    And also, I am feeling GREAT. I'm sort of banking on the bad stuff being due to some toxins leaving (not losing fat though, so not sure anything is being released). Anyway. Eating this way can only be good (i'm cutting out grains, legumes, sugar and processed foods and eating organic and grassfed as much as I can, not fiddeling too much otherwise), so I'm not worried.

Jen AlcesAlces is offline Senior Member
    Back when I was veg, I got sick several times a year. Every cold/flu stuck around for weeks eventually became bronchitis, sinusitis, laryngitis, or worse. I seriously caught everything and anything. I was the girl who got the weird ear infection or contagious skin rash - and when I went to the doctor, they'd take pictures and bring in all the nurses and interns to learn about it. I do not miss that.

Since going primal, I've caught only a couple of colds which clear up very quickly and do not progress into the infections of the past. I got tonsillitis once, that cleared up with coconut manna. Many times everyone around me has been sick, but I somehow manage to stay well (even being pregnant now - which they say makes you more succeptible).

Anyway, hang in there and you should see a lot of improvement.
    Jen, former Midwesterner, living in the middle of nowhere.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    I never really got sick before, but I really don't with primaleo.

I did get sick about three weeks ago with an actual, honest-to-gosh cold. I attribute that to the pregnancy more than anything. And I got over it fast. My husband had it for days, and is not as strict with his sleep, diet, Vitamin-D.

How's your sleep?

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    I always used to get every bug going around, but since Primal have not really been ill - a bout of norovirus, and currently a cold. But the interesting thing, for me at least, is that this cold is getting better really quickly. It took my daughter 3 weeks to start recovering (it triggered her asthma again, which was a pain), and my husband is now in his second week of feeling grotty with it, but day 4 and I'm nearly over it!

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    thanks everyone for all your responses! I had a rough couple of days but I am feeling much better now.

onalark, you asked how my sleep is. The short story is that my sleep is fantastic, but that's pretty much only because I take an ambien at night that knocks me out, heh. But I have done that for years now... I've suffered from super bad insomnia for my whole life, even as young as I can remember, I could never sleep! But now, one ambien a night and I sleep like a baby.

Comma, I'm worried that you say your hair is falling out! When I was a raw-vegan, my hair started falling out in huge chunks as well, and my toenails fell off. I'm fairly confident it was a protein deficiency, and now that I'm eating primal, I've not had any of those problems. So keep an eye on that... I'm guessing that if you're eating primal, you're getting plenty of protein? (and gosh, does it feel weird, being an ex vegan and asking someone if they're getting enough protein, teehee!)

amdws1234 is offline Member
    I got sick about 1 month into it - fever & infection, felt just awful. I was a bit concerned because, honestly, I was NEVER sick eating SAD. Coincidence? I don't know but it was a bit unnerving at the time. I thought primal = bulletproof.

patrickh is offline Member
    The only time I've gotten sick since going primal 2+ years ago was about 2 weeks into going off the diet. Before that, I would get a nasty sinus infection about every 6 months or so.

Comma is offline Senior Member
    Hm, now that you say it, it might have slowed a bit since I added a huge whey protein shake in the morning ( I have this here! It was expensive!) Not sure how I could possibly not eat enough protein though, it's eggs and meat for every meal.

fat
    fat is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by palebluedots View Post
    Comma, I'm worried that you say your hair is falling out! When I was a raw-vegan, my hair started falling out in huge chunks as well, and my toenails fell off. I'm fairly confident it was a protein deficiency, and now that I'm eating primal, I've not had any of those problems. So keep an eye on that...
    The medical term for hair loss caused by a metabolic or physiologic stress is telogen effluvium. Any type of change in diet can cause it. So can actually having a chronic caloric or nutritional deficiency, weight loss, starting a new medication, having a baby, illness, injury, overexercising, etc. If it's not caused by a chronic nutritional deficiency or stressor, or a condition like hypothyroidism, it's usually a one-time event that clears up within 6 months.

If you're worried it might be the result of a nutritional issue, you should track your food for a week on a site like CRON-O-Meter to make sure you're not too low in calories, protein, fat, or missing some micronutrient.

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yep, Cronometer is great, I agree with that! I love how it tracks a lot more than just macronutrients. I also agree with fat that hair loss can be triggered by a lot of different things. The reason I think I had protein deficiency is because my toenails cracked and fell off, and my protein intake was very low. I was eating a low-fat-raw-vegan diet at the time, which meant uncooked veggies & fruit only. That said, keep an eye on what's happening and track your food, and it could clue you into what your particular issue might be.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast