Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Men Who Made Us Fat page 3

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by ecole66 View Post
    Ahhhh the European way, blame America! How about everyone be responsible for themselves instead of blaming corporations or the evil Americans for all of your problems?
    Yeah! Everyone is always picking on the poor corporations, all they want to do is give folks what they want. Maybe they need to have some good PR to help them get the word out. Oh wait I heard that the HFCS syrup industry already has ads educating the public that HFCS is natural, it comes from a plant. It's not their fault if people like to eat sweet things, the experts in the documentary say it's all about portion control. So you're right people just need to take responsibility.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Rob View Post
    Don't get me wrong, some great things have been given to us from America, Red Hot Chilli Peppers and Mountain Biking to name 2. But other stuff not so much.
    Hey Tribal Rob! Just personally, thank you. My family is split between US citizenship and German, family living in both places, and I myself have lived in both. The thing I got sick of (I'm American) is unfounded US-bashing. There was a long span of time when it felt like my German family was trying to make me personally responsible for all the unpardonable sins they felt the US had committed - ever. It was rough, as they were, well, FAMILY, you know?

The last time I ran into a real, live, breathing Brit, she was caustic. If it came from the US, it was shit. She was actually a stylist, working in the salon on the Disney cruise ship we were on, and simultaneously working on my head of hair.

So, the simple fact that you have something nice to say (that you, personally, appreciate) along with a criticism makes me want to listen to you - it shows you can see two sides to something.

What I DID learn on my way through the wurst grinder: other countries have other, valid viewpoints. So as long as the talk stays factual, with a dose of "I, personally, have experienced this", I'm good.

Something I also learned: there is no substitute, or excuse, for not exercising personal responsibility - anywhere.

Betcha' you didn't know you were going to make a contribution to international peace and understanding today, did you?!

(Oh yeah, we LOVED Hyacinth Bucket!!)

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ecole66 View Post
    Ahhhh the European way, blame America! How about everyone be responsible for themselves instead of blaming corporations or the evil Americans for all of your problems?
    I thought blaming others, then suing them for compensation was something we got from you
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Any way, IMHO 90% or the public are morons, be they from USA, Austraila, EU, UK etc, most large groups seem to export many negative traits, and a few good one, German Cars, French Wine, Austrailain bloody good blokeness, UK errrm, yep I'll go with Mighty Boosh on that.

But free thinking people that make their own choices always find common ground no matter where they come from.

Oh and on-one mmmmm very nice bikes, I few friends had them, a single speed was on my wish list, but I sunk all my money into an Orange Patriot 66 (paid through the nose buying british too, a Specilized would have saved me )
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Everyone likes to blame America for as much as they can...
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Something I also learned: there is no substitute, or excuse, for not exercising personal responsibility - anywhere.

Betcha' you didn't know you were going to make a contribution to international peace and understanding today, did you?!

(Oh yeah, we LOVED Hyacinth Bucket!!)
    And don't forget Monty Python.

That is a very interesting documentary and while I agree that there are some sneaky conniving SOBs in the food industry, the program does go a bit overboard and make it sound like they strapped people down and force fed them the supersized meals. I do agree that there has to be some degree of personal (and parental) responsibility involved.

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member
    thanks for sharing!
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

Quote Originally Posted by kenn View Post
    Everyone likes to blame America for as much as they can...
    Yes that's because you act like you rule the world, so if you are going to pretend to be in charge you can damn well take the shit when it all goes wrong

I think Team America World Police summed this up nicely

Oh and UK dosn't have the monoply of good comedy, see above, Family Guy and Simpsoms, the US does some very good self deprecating humor.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    That is a very interesting documentary and while I agree that there are some sneaky conniving SOBs in the food industry, the program does go a bit overboard and make it sound like they strapped people down and force fed them the supersized meals. I do agree that there has to be some degree of personal (and parental) responsibility involved.
    I think there are sneaky conniving SOBs in pretty much every industry where the sole goal is to maximise proffit, there are also some sneaky conniving SOBs in politics. I think with the food thing, one problem is the SOB in politics bowed to pressure from the SOBs in the food industry, and played down the edividence, and gave bad advice to the public, who believed it as they are mainly idoits

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    I really got into the videos. Has Part 3 aired yet?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast