Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Men Who Made Us Fat page 2

pdjesson is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Rob View Post
    At some point some-one managed to convince most of UK that everything in America was better, probably somethng to do with MTV and Friends, now we just run along at the US's heals like an annoying dweeb kid trying to be with the popular gang, doing every daft thing you do. Now we are paying the price for acting without thinking. Don't get me wrong, some great things have been given to us from America, Red Hot Chilli Peppers and Mountain Biking to name 2. But other stuff not so much.
    +1

I suppose, in comparison to much of the garbage we've adopted from emulating our North American cousins RHCP can be considered a relative good.
    All the best!

PDJ

The quieter you become the more you're able to hear.

Mawlana Jalaludin Rumi

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pdjesson View Post
    +1

I suppose, in comparison to much of the garbage we've adopted from emulating our North American cousins RHCP can be considered a relative good.
    Don't go disin' the Chilli's man

You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

mycon is offline Junior Member
    The conclusion they came to with that rat study was depressing. The rats WOULDN'T overeat on fatty foods that were extremely energy dense (despite having free access to as much as they wanted) BUT when they gave them processed carb foods, they instantly began overeating and got obese. Yet the show came to the conclusion that it's the "energy dense" food and "overeating" that's the problem, when it was clearly the carbs and/or processing. /facepalm

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mycon View Post
    The conclusion they came to with that rat study was depressing. The rats WOULDN'T overeat on fatty foods that were extremely energy dense (despite having free access to as much as they wanted) BUT when they gave them processed carb foods, they instantly began overeating and got obese. Yet the show came to the conclusion that it's the "energy dense" food and "overeating" that's the problem, when it was clearly the carbs and/or processing. /facepalm
    I think that the problem they were pointing out was that the sugary processed and energy dense combo is the killer.
    The high sugar processed foods drive higher appetites, then add in some processed energy dense (fast foods and such) and it's basically a time bomb. A one two punch if you will.

Healthy whole foods, such as primal promotes, that are energy dense weren't shown as problem foods from what I saw. It was all high sugar, high sodium, high fat processed stuff. Remember... no one is just eating a burger, they are eating having the big drink and big fries too... and they had a big chocolate bar just a couple of hours ago...
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

earthspirit is offline Senior Member
    Thank you for sharing!

mycon is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Healthy whole foods, such as primal promotes, that are energy dense weren't shown as problem foods from what I saw. It was all high sugar, high sodium, high fat processed stuff.
    True, but their conclusion nonetheless was simply "energy-dense". Unlike the first episode they basically said fat is just as bad.

And also overeating isn't a problem per se, it just becomes one in a carb-rich environment, as we all know very well here. The documentary basically concludes overeating is a problem, which is only true to a certain extent. At the heart of it they still say a calorie is a calorie.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    There's a difference between energy dense and nutrient dense. Nutrient dense is what you want.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Tercio is offline Senior Member
    At some point some-one managed to convince most of UK that everything in America was better, probably somethng to do with MTV and Friends, now we just run along at the US's heals like an annoying dweeb kid trying to be with the popular gang, doing every daft thing you do. Now we are paying the price for acting without thinking. Don't get me wrong, some great things have been given to us from America, Red Hot Chilli Peppers and Mountain Biking to name 2. But other stuff not so much.
    RHCP and mountain biking FTW. I've got the hots for an on-one inbred 29er, from over on your side. Sweet bike. A new ride will be my present to myself when I break to 200lb. barrier. Right now riding a Bianchi cyclocross SS, but that's only for the flats. I'm looking forward to getting back in the mountains. I've these trails, right behind my house Verdugo Mountain Biking Trilogy - YouTube

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Some of us look to the UK for cultural enrichment I'm thinking in particular of BBC comedy shows that would never be made in the US. Like the Mighty Boosh, Black's Book's, Dr. Who that sort of thing. My son is a gamer and regularly looks to 2 Brits for their take on games, Total Biscuit and The Yogscast. Oh yeah and I am fond of BBC costume dramas.

ecole66 is offline Senior Member
    Ahhhh the European way, blame America! How about everyone be responsible for themselves instead of blaming corporations or the evil Americans for all of your problems?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast